Visual triggers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fenudir, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Fenudir Augur

Kind of throwing this out there.

Has there been any thought by the devs on putting in a video trigger system similar to the audio trigger one already in game. Some folks play with out sound and, more importantly, some players are deaf and can't hear. I'm not trying to make it an ADA issue or anything but I was curious.

And yes, I know all about GINA. This question is specific to Everquest.
  2. Rorce Augur

Maybe you could tell us why GINA can't do what you are wanting to do? I fall in the deaf crowd, and GTT / GINA is plenty for me.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Gamanern Journeyman

Does the community see a need to divert dev time away to solve a problem that has already been solved by GTT and GINA?

If there is a gap in these programs, then raising that specific need would likely result in an improvement which solves your need.
  4. strongbus Augur

think the issues is you have to play in windows mode to get the visual trigger form gtt/gina.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The answer to basic issues in a game (or any program) should never be, "Use another program to solve the issue". Important things should be baked right into it.

The question becomes then, "How important is this and whether it is worth using very limited Dev time and how much time and effort would it be for SOE to add it in?".

Heck, voice chat is built right into EQ and I know of no one who uses it. So if you want to talk about wasted Dev time, that's right at the top of the list. My guild uses Skype and TeamSpeak instead of the in-game voice chat.

The ability to make text flash across the screen is already in EQ, since we see it during certain events. What the original poster whats, I believe, is to add the ability to have players set a trigger to have it flash custom text for them. Since the ability is already in the game to flash text, it doesn't seem that hard to add in letting the players do it.

The way I would do it, would be to add another part to the current Audio Triggers window. They just added the ability to add notes. So, add the ability to flash text on the screen as well. Make it so that you can pick if you want just audio, just text, or both.

Of course, at that point you would want to change the name of the Audio Triggers window to something like, "Text Triggers", or "Alert Triggers", or something. I don't know, SOE could ask people what they thought was the best name if they can't think of something good. :).
  6. Fenudir Augur

As far as I'm concerned, GINA works great. I do have a guildie who is deaf (and yes, uses GINA) who was curious about it so I figured I'd post and ask is all.
  7. Fenudir Augur

Brell forbid we should take time away from the devs. I mean the staggering amount of content the last expansion gave us must have just been.....

meh. forget it...
    Leerah likes this.