Very high latency during raids

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Cacky, May 4, 2020.

1. Cacky Elder

I have almost every video feature in EQ turned off or set to low, and I have had it that way for 6+ months. Raiding, with a voice chat program and GINA running, has not been a problem. Until the last 2 or 3 weeks. Tonight it was nearly unbearable. In Tserrina, I died every time she summoned us, because I'd run to the wall, but it would turn out I hadn't REALLY run out to the wall at all! I raid with player names off and I used to use hide AFK, now I use /hidemodels all. That is the only change I have made.

Normally my latency, according to the EQ lag meter, is about 75ms. The last few weeks it has been 85ms while puttering around or killing stuff solo, and when raiding, with 54 people, all ToV raids, it has been up to 250, 500, and tonight, 1500, 2500. This makes it hard to target mobs, hard to cast spells, hard to open my inventory, hard to move around, etc..

While this was happening tonight, I closed all other programs, and that did not seem to help. I opened a couple different random websites that test your latency, and they both told me I was averaging 75ms.

I am playing EQ on a relatively clean Windows 7 system that has no problems other problems. There is almost nothing else on this computer, and definitely nothing else running while was raiding tonight. I logged out of EQ and started it again, but that didn't seem to help. Eventually the lag meter settled down to 600ms -- but even at that it was not possible to raid effectively.

Sorry this is extremely vague. Don't know what else I can tell you, except maybe next time we raid I will try NOT using the /hidemodels feature and see if that makes it any better?
    Wulfhere likes this.
  2. Cacky Elder

After all that semi-ranting, I just logged out and back again into EQ, raids are over, I'm standing in EW not doing anything, and the lag meter is over 1000ms. This is on Erollisi Marr / Nameless. Really stinks!
  3. GNOME_POWER Augur

Yes, there is high traffic worldwide.
    You may first need to advise your neighbors to stop watching Netflix.
    Or you net fix.
  4. Cacky Elder

High traffic worldwide that lags out EQ but nothing else? Interesting theory.
    svann likes this.
  5. BlackVZ Lorekeeper

I also noticed this last night. Not to those extremes, but im usually around 50-60ms and tonight it was in the 150-200 range. I'm never that high, usually 100 is about the tops.
  6. svann Augur

Maybe its being routed thru Moscow.
    They're spying on our strats!!!
    Funky likes this.
  7. Cacky Elder

Right now I'm sitting in an empty zone not doing anything, and I'm at 132ms. I can admit possibly something is going wrong on my end, but I can browse the web and watch youtube flawlessly while multiple movies are being streamed over my network; it is only EQ, and during or right after raids, where I am having extreme lag issues. It seemed to start after the last patch. I'm open to suggestions, but it sure seems like something server-side is causing this.