Vendors: The renewable resource!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Donroy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Donroy Elder

Just a friendly PSA for anyone who might care - I am a vendor diver. And as such, I check vendors whenever I can for hidden treasures that other folks sell to them. Everything from trade skill items I need (why buy your BDs for 300pp+ from the bazaar when there's usually copious amounts for 260ish on vendors?) to once, a Cowl of Mortality from an LDoN Magus for some reason (for less than 2k!).

For those who don't know how vendors work, they only take a set number of items you sell to them. Once their inventory fills up, anything else you sell goes poof (or at the very least, isn't visible for another player to buy).

Which brings me to the point of my thread: If you - like me - vendor dive for various resources, consider leaving at least 1 of that particular resource left so that as other players sell the same to that vendor, they restock so that anyone else interested may continue to buy that particular item. For example, if there's 14 blocks of velium or whatever, buy 13. This way the next guy who couldn't care any less about velium sells it and the cycle continues.

This benefits you too, considering that if you're buying ALL the blocks of velium to begin with, it stands to reason that you would like to buy MORE. Buying all of them only empties that vendor's available inventory spot so that the guy behind you fills it by selling their fire beetle eye, thus preventing the next person's stash of velium being shown for sale.

Thank you! <3
    Maneuvre, Kedra Leafwalker and Duder like this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

The people who buy the single 1 item are the true scum of Norrath.
  3. jeskola pheerie

New thread title:

How to grief vendor divers
  4. Boze TLP complaint factory

Classic tragedy of the commons. If I leave stuff the next dude just buys it up.

Best I ever found was slime blood of cazic Thule on phinny, in SoL when it was still super relevant. Vendor diving is hands down the best early TLP money maker.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Part if me thinks mangler crashing is sophisticated vendor divers simply resetting the markets.
  6. Bullsnooze Augur

I'm a vendor diver and I support this request! :)

Instead of waiting for it to drop on a raid, I was able to get Kodiac's Endless Intellect on Phinny pretty early! It was on a vendor in the Bazaar and I was able to buy it and scribe it super cheap - I couldn't believe someone would accidentally sell it. I logged out and back in a few times just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming.
  7. Protagonist Tank

If a vendor doesn't have the thing you want but does have a full inventory list, buy out 1 thing on the full list. Don't close the vendor window. Sell one of the thing you want to the vendor. If it has more in the hidden pool, they'll all pop to the visible pool. If it doesn't have more, your single will pop to the visible pool and you can buy it back.
  8. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Are you sure that works anymore? Have you done this recently (like within the last year)?

I am almost positive when they redid vendors awhile back that they broke this memory so this no longer works (they increase the number of things that can be seen on a vendor).

It is possible that TLP vendors work differently than Live … but that would be weird.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

You're right that does not work anymore.
  10. sumnayin Augur

imagine if they could just code vendors to show everything they have...since the items are there
  11. Machen New Member

Since this absolutely has happened in the past, I'd say there is a better than zero chance.