Vaniki - dead on arrival with no guilds ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trumpton, May 9, 2022.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Triconix, Oakenblade, Rajaah and 2 others like this.
  2. verbatim Elder

Looking forward to next year's ruleset / event server. We reduced the instance size to 18 but you are 5 levels higher than the content is intended for. Also free trade (tm) and out of era AA.
  3. Thatoneguy666 Elder

You don't need any of these fiv-head sort of setups for an interesting TLP. The level lock idea is exactly the sort of hand-holding, on-rails, curated experience that people hate. I was moderately interested in Vaniki prior to the joke FAQ, but only because it represented something new, and I like new, not because it was some amazing idea.

All you have to do is SOMETHING NEW that is open-ended and let the players figure out how to enjoy it.

Just start a server in TSS at level 1. Done. Nothing else needs to be added to the special sauce, and you're going to get a brand-new, never before seen Everquest experience with unpredictable levelling, raiding, and progression options.

Same thing could be said if you just started a server at level 1 in GoD. Or DoDH for that matter.

Stop limiting players advancement and what they can do, and instead empower them.
    Oakenblade and Rajaah like this.
  4. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

you'd have a "brand-new, never before seen Everquest experience" for about a month. At that point leveling to max is done, vital AA complete, and people would be geared enough to start raiding TSS content. And then it becomes just another clone, just one that bypassed 9 expansions entirely.
    Lawyer likes this.
  5. Rajaah Elder

The NFL and (especially) NBA both decided to wade deep into politics in 2020. A lot of people weren't crazy about said politics.

UFC largely stayed out of giving their two-cents on anything, thus not alienating 50% of their viewers.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And the NFL and NBA also had channels that stopped getting carried on some of the tv services which impacted their ratings before the pandemic hit.
  7. Lawyer Augur

As I've said before: the fate of this server should inform DBG who NOT to listen to regarding server ideas.
  8. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Bypassing 9 expansions is the appealing par. As long as you have time to grow into your 75 level characters, by starting at level 1, you get to play a TLP that is in an era which is more balanced and more appealing to SOME players. Would it be as busy at launch as a classic launch, maybe not.

But I'll bet it would have far more retention going into UF, HoT, etc.
    Chikkin, Skuz, Triconix and 2 others like this.
  9. Triconix Augur

That's the point. People are sick of classic trilogy and the 70 slog. TSS opens the door as the last (and only expansion since Luclin) to offer zones for level 1 to in era max level. It's an expansion that really captures the zeitgeist of the classic DND/EQ experience with its primarily high fantasy monsters - dragons, orcs, giants, gnolls, treants, centaurs, bixies, etc which people claim that goes away starting in GOD. TSS is kind of a hail to the "old EQ" style and theme. So while the feel of TSS is similar, it's almost an entirely new experience for many TLP rerollers. They hate how the game turned away from high fantasy and went discord theme? Well, here you go, TSS coming right up on a platinum platter.

Not only that, but with a TSS launch, you get a variety of different leveling paths, unlike the typical tunneling of 5 zones of classic while 95% of it gets ignored or unused.
    Chikkin, Yinla and Rajaah like this.
  10. ISupportGuilds Journeyman

Can we get this thread locked.. When someone uses a Guardian post as factual data it totally ruins any and all validity to the conversation. Love how people interject personal political bias into everything even a post about bad server design.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

No premade guilds before server launch?

That means good, casual family guilds will reign supreme. Not serious end game raiding guilds taking over the server. Making TLP not fun and all seriousness

When I play TLP, its for nostalgia. Not time to go serious/hardcore.
    I'm here for family guilds, nostalgia, chill vibes.
    Cap at level 40 pushes chill vibes.

I'll raid if there are raids but I'm trying to chill, roleplay, enjoy EQ.
  12. Yarteb Elder

Before Mischief opened there were several guilds recruiting in the forums before launch and dozens more guilds that started in game after launch. This year there are fewer guilds in the forums already, but I expect things will work out and the new TLPs will be a lot of fun.
    Chikkin likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mischief launched amid a pandemic & stay at home lockdowns all over the dang planet.

Comparing this year to then is just laughably dumb, stop doing it.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Rajaah Elder

Yeah, TSS is a big comeback for the old-school D&D flavor of EQ. You'd think TLPers who do the classic treadmill would be really into it if they actually tried it.

Everything leading up to TSS is the Mistmoore-oriented 70 slog, then after that it goes into Buried Sea and Kerafyrm's return, then more Muramites. The high-fantasy theme (aka no sci-fi) is pretty much TSS on an island at that point in the game. Though it does launch into that "mid-era" people have talked about that's full of good expansions. I'd gladly spend 3 months in TSS if it's the launch point for a server and I think it actually has enough content for a 3 month window at a server launch. Dwarfs classic, Kunark, and Luclin (because it includes all of them, for starters). Would be supremely fun. And with TBS being second, it'd actually get some use as a level-up expansion with its cool zones and instances. Normally on TLP, TBS is relegated to adding the Solteris raid and not much else.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Moforyguy Elder

Stay at home lockdowns were short lived and in 2020 not 2021....It was the ruleset that made Michief popular. So wouldn't that make Aradune the 1st TLP during covid? Pretty sure Covid started 2019...Besides China I don't think many people were locked down in homes and playing EQ lol.
  16. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

The more poo-pooing of this server I see, the more interested I am in playing on it, honestly.
    Chikkin, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  17. Torrok Journeyman

Haven't made my mind up but I'm leaning towards Vaniki. I really like the idea having more than the classic zones for the first level grind
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

First lockdown in UK March 2020. Lockdowns continued on and off through 2020 and 2021, full lifting didnt happen hear until at least July 2021. I know we were still locked down here when Mischief was released....I made the mistake of telling my daughter the Christmas garlands and other foilage decs could stay up until we were out of lockdown. :rolleyes:

Different countries were locked down at different times over those 2 years, some were even locked down early this year.
    Skuz and Barton like this.