Vaniki - dead on arrival with no guilds ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trumpton, May 9, 2022.

1. Larsen Augur

I'm certainly not touching Vaniki. It looks destined to be an absurd, chaotic mess. Starting with five expansions unlocked, and a level cap of 40? What? I can see it as a fun little side project, something you dabble in for a week or two just to see what the heck will happen, but not something that makes sense to play on as your primary server. I guarantee that there will be some unforeseen quirk that turns the server into a complete joke that nobody takes seriously. Some broken cr*p that comes from the bizarre ruleset will make this server not worth playing on for anything other than maybe snagging those rewards. It's a server that will be dead in under a month, I'm 99% sure of it.
    Lawyer likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Players who do not understand Vaniki would not enjoy it anyway.

It has a very clear point - beating stuff, and beating stuff that is higher level than you because you get to try that on this server.

Level 40 lock is first so that players can try the level 50 content at level 40, so that would be Classic Vox/Naggy, PoSky, the Kunark dragons /VP, Hate/Fear, epic 1,0 mobs, Velious.

If the idea of not being able to face-roll the early content with both eyes shut gives you palpitations you should stick to the vanilla server.
    Rebelicious and Juantothre like this.
  3. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Vaniki is just bad server design.
    Lawyer and Zansobar like this.
  4. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Whoever okayed it should feel bad.
  5. code-zero Augur

Funny thing, a friend of mine who last played on Agnarr and asked me if I'd be starting a bard on Vaniki because she was going to play a berserker there. Nothing about zerging or raiding or anything like that, being able to play a class she hasn't been able to start on TLP before and the level limit appeals.

So that's one anyway
  6. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

So about those 100 person zerg fests on open targets ...
  7. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

Every other medium of entertainment had LESS viewers and players, not more. I'd be suprised if EQ had an uptick when the NFL and NBA were bemoaning terrible ratings throughout the entire pandemic. This isn't really the important part though. The reason these servers don't have the interest is purely because the rulesets are not as attractive as Mischief and Thornblade were. Those servers feel more like a modernized EQ. So far the population has stayed through GoD, so we will have to see. I have a feeling it was just a really popular ruleset though.
  8. Santified Lorekeeper

A PvP TLP would be even worse design.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Fhiele Augur

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2023 free trade TLP, maybe without the random loot, maybe without the extra loot.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Did those ratings drop because of the pandemic or because of other reasons? I remember that after the before the pandemic that some tv providers had dropped some of the sports centered channels that carried those games which caused an impact. YouTube TV and Hulu have dropped fox sports as an example which would have an impact on any sports that they carry.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

UFC broke records.
  12. Froglok_Shaman New Member

Truth. Will I play it? Sure. Am I hyped? No. It gets me somewhat close to live within an "ok" (but actually long, drawn out and tedious) time frame.
  13. Moforyguy Elder

Seriously? We are now comparing a 23 year old game that has its players recycled every year to the next new server to a multi Billionaire company that breaks records every year? I doubt many new players played EQ during Pandemic. UFC was one of the ONLY things going on during peak Covid. People that played EQ already I am sure played MORE EQ but not like we getting fresh nerds playing EverQuest.
    asdfbot likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Did you read the post I quoted to understand the context of that response?

Serious question.
  15. Aenoan Augur

I am not sure I understand. There are 8 actively running TLPs find one that works for you. No one says you have to play it or any of them. If it doesn't fit your play style do something else. There are a plethora of games out there.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Wouldn't be so bad if the moaners actually came up with some ideas of their own that were actually well thought out. Too much effort required.
  17. Aenoan Augur

Skuz, I agree. My only suggestions been a Sleeper/Combine 2.0 server I'd like another speed run server that isn't as buggy as the "OG" TLP servers.
  18. Juantothre New Member

No fresh nerds playing EQ? I spent the last 23 years working to create my own group; my wife still hates it, but my kids are avid players. I suggest the rest of you get to work finding some maidens...
    Chikkin, Laronk, code-zero and 4 others like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Somebody get this man a beer
    code-zero and PatCleric like this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

So what would a good TLP ruleset be that makes the best use of "Start at level 40, unlock 5-10 levels at regular intervals" base?