Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ferry-Tunare, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Melodya Journeyman

I never played it due to my computer not being able to handle it at the time.

If it could, i would surely have tried it. :)
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. Tyraxor Augur

Too lazy to read everything so i don't know if it was mentioned yet, sorry.
    But there are some skilled people working on a VG as we speak, i think you could expect it in approx. 1 year. Test versions maybe earlier.

About the game...it would have been pretty damn good, at least in my opinion, with an engine that doesn't send you to desktop every 5 minutes. That's why it failed.
    Last time i played those issues were gone, so yeah...too bad that it's not available currently.
    Very fun game with great atmosphere + well thought out classes, maybe the closest thing to Eq1 that was around. The many quest hubs were not Eq like, but the great variety of dungeons and places for groups to play in reminded me of the old Eq which is never a bad thing.
    Brogett, Numzan and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  3. Lingum Elder

I never got to play it, but a friend (who introduced me to EQ) was in Beta. He told me that it was basically WOW and even used the WOW engine. No sale....
  4. svann Augur

:rolleyes: Your friend couldnt be more wrong if he tried.
    Lannin likes this.
  5. Slasher Augur

They failed Vanguard the second they released it. You look at a game like Final Fantasy when they knew it wasn't what they wanted you know what they did ? They shut the game down and rebuilt it from the ground up and now it's a pretty big success and probably the best raiding MMO out. Vanguard was doomed to fail the second Microsoft's big pockets bailed because SOE was never going to put the money into it that would of made it a success. You give that game a dev team of decent size and it would of turned out to be a great game.
  6. fantasticfail New Member

It was amazing, and truly was Everquest 2. It was enormous, and people were still finding new areas/dungeons when the game was closed. I felt like I was always exploring, I felt that the places I went to were truly remote. The first time I got a boat and sailed the coast, I thought to myself that I had never experienced this feeling since exploring Everquest in 1999. Its biggest problem was technical issues and SOE pushing it out the door a year before it was ready. Fun fact: The game had an incredible (some sung) sound track, consisting of over one hundred tracks. And they were dynamic, meaning they could switch seamlessly from one track to another. If it had another year of work, so it didn't crash, and people didn't quit because of it, I would be playing it today. It would have eclipsed EQ easily.
    svann likes this.
  7. fantasticfail New Member

And I want to add that it is a criminal shame that we do not have the ability to emulate the game and still play it.
  8. Mokai Journeyman

svann likes this.
  9. svann Augur

Wow. That pantheon vid really does look like they are shooting for vg 2.0.
  10. Notinterested Augur

Thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever read...

It dont even begin to make sense. I know its not a popular thing to talk about around here but blizzards success lies in their ability to make a game you can jump in and have fun with from the beginning. Much like nintendo they focus their efforts around keeping it enjoyable. Something SOE forgot about ages ago.

They did it with the RTS genre with SC/WC both games that you can be a total noob and have fun with or be a pro at and win tournaments it all scales so well to everyone. They did the same with WoW, you can be a bumbling idiot and level/group and have a blast or be a hardcore and PVP for money or do hardmode raids and try and be the first to beat it. Activision did it with the FPS genre any tool can play a CoD game and have fun where the FPS genre used to be dominated by super srs bsns games.

You take a game and make it so anyone from kid to grandma can find something fun to do and you have blizzards business plan in a nutshell.

Now all that said this does come at the cost of depth! Thats why we are all here. But dont look down on WoW because of what it is. I cant stand the "wow is the devil" mentality you get with the so called srs bsns mmos. EQ has not been hard in many years they replaced challenge with monotony and tedium a long time ago.
    Riou and Iila like this.
  11. Notinterested Augur

I bought VG on release day and played it quite a bit early on despite all the numerous bugs (and it was a buggy one). I liked the "soul" of the game if that makes any sense.

It just seemed to me that there was either a late change of plan or multiple groups working towards different ends. Its like one part of it tried so hard to be the EQ2 we never had yet so much of it tried to emulate EQ2 and WoW. It just felt like they couldnt make up their minds and just pick a direction.

So many things in that game just made me stop and say wtf.

I am sure some others that played early on will understand what i mean.
  12. Iila Augur

People like playing polished games that are fun?! Why would they want to play games like that when they can play games without internal consistency that aren't concerned with the player at all?
  13. Skitarg New Member

14. Tappin Augur

This game had the best raids...
  15. Skitarg New Member

yea the preraid was superfun aswell where you needed to kill stuff to get key etc :) APW XD
  16. Nadisia Augur

If one day they decide to reopen a server (who knows? :D), I'll jump on it in a rush hehe.
    Not only the raids, but also :

* Some interesting and unusual classes, with innovative mechanics (Blood Mage, or Disciple, the healer monk).
    * Really cool ideas, like casting while moving for instance, with movement penalties while casting btw.
    * The cross classes vulnerabilities system was brilliant, but really hard to master.
    * The best crafting system EVER , with stats, dedicated stuff, steps and actions, ... and complications :mad:.
    A whole crafting world where you needed to think carefuly before any action, and not a mindless coin toss like EQ (success or failure).
    * Great group content, at any level, up to max level.
    Pantheon of the Ancients was really great : group centric content with really great rewards, and fun fights.
    * Great quests, even awesome quests sometimes : remember the Griffon quest ? A long journey over all the continents.
    * Talking about continents : the world, was amazing.
    3 continents, really different (european/nordic style of Thestra , african with Qalia and asian with Kojan.
    * A 3rd sphere based on a really fun card game : diplomacy.
    In general, I don't like card games, it's not my thing, but dunno why, I really LOVED VG diplomacy.
    * Boats : yes, it was almost useless, but it was fun to build your own galeon, or caravel, and sail through the oceans.

So many things to say about this game, I can talk about it for hours.
    I loved this game, really.

Yes, it was half broken sometimes, sadly the release has been rushed, many bad decisions have been taken, but it was a great game.
    And Brad was a brilliant world maker.

Just a tribute to this fantastic game :

17. Pawtato Augur

I really liked Vanguard, but the launch killed it. It really needed an extra year in development. It definitely suffered from scope of work. If they had concentrated on nailing the core of their game that would’ve bought them time post launch to introduce the other systems.
  18. Zalamyr Augur

First of all, impressive necro...

Vanguard had some neat features, but it suffered from poor development leadership. Everybody claims it just needed more development time, but that never would have helped. They just never prioritized spending the time necessary to polish the game. They devoted too much time to content and features and ignored an inevitable looming launch deadline. You can cry about being forced to "release too early", but when you were given over 30 million dollars and 5 years to produce a product and couldn't do it, that's on you.

It also makes me laugh that there's a post above from 5 years ago looking toward Pantheon as the next savior. Maybe they now have the leadership to prioritize actually finishing a game, but I doubt it.
  19. Galliana Elder

Sigil made a colossal design mistake: they built it using the Unreal engine. Unreal is perfect for FPS shooters but not a massive outdoor MMO. Everything went wrong from there.
  20. Tappin Augur

Who cares. I had more fun playing that game than I ever did this game. Current EQ raids have stagnated and boring for years. VoSH was a good mix of old eq, scripts, and a better combat system.