Usefulness of Intimidation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ryanxp, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Ryanxp Augur

After maxing my Intimidation to 370 (max 490 now), I still find it seldom working. As a Berserker, this would be a valued tool, and as all the other classes that have it, to use in a time of need, or if snared. But intimidation goes off once every 30 kills probably, and when it does, it's more of an inconvience.

What about making Intimidation with some better success ratios?
  2. Dropfast Augur

Yea I never understood why the fail rate is so insanely high on it. Back in the day when mobs could actually be feared it was kinda nice but now it makes no sense. Honestly, I could care less about the fear portion of it. The one cool thing is Intimidation does a bonus attack when it's actually successful, which is a kick for monks. But being it only works like once in every 500 times used makes it completely worthless though.

I highly doubt you will get them to flag all the mobs in past 8+ years to be fearable again but it would still be nice if they uped the success rate massively so we could at least use it for a bonus attack here and their. Same goes for Disarm. While useful back in the day, it's worthless now but it could be changed to do something like put a -ATK / Accuracy debuff on the mob when successful or something.

It's a novel idea and all but I wouldn't count on it at all or at least right now while they are in the middle of Beta. Their are much more important things for the Devs to do atm at least.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  3. Picard Journeyman

I was told it was originally a skill called Instill Doubt and that it worked quite often as a fear type of effect which I'm guessing is what you're referring to Drop. Apparently it was particularly effective against even old school red con mobs when paired with a bard or druid or any type of snaring class. Imagine being able to take out red cons because they were running away from you while snared and you could just go all rogue on their backs HAH! Man I wish I would have been around back in those days!! I've always wondered what the heck the point of Intimidation was since it never seemed to do a gosh darned thing. Same with disarm and basically you covered that too Drop so it is what it is I guess. They both seem to be about as useful as Beg.

I agree that I'd rather have a ready to go new content expansion with as few bugs and catastrophies as possible than worrying about making such abilities relevant again. It would be very cool but imho should be very low on the totem pole of priorities compared to all the other challenges out there.
  4. Rhaage Augur

maybe they should make it into a stun like effect, allows mob to defend but takes no offensive swings... i.e. they're too afraid to attack?... just an idea.
  5. snailish Augur

"make it useful or remove it" is a good design philosophy, but it requires the playerbase to accept it as well.

I would suggest more than just intimidation (disarm and begging) have been allowed to linger with minimal purpose. Trimming some of these things out (basically abandoned features predating the now also-bloated combat abilities system) could be worthwhile, if some benefit is gained from putting in that work.
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

Not that I actually pvp, but doesn't disarm still work in pvp? The skills also add a minute amount of hate, so removing them entirely is probably not going to be universally accepted.
    snailish likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

Agree.

If the only benefit of a group of skills is a minor amount of taunt, then it would make sense to give the appropriate classes a new ability "bother" with the compounded amount of hate built into it from the consolidated abilities.

If the ability has other, current, genuine use then it doesn't fit the suggestion of removal.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You don't lose skills just because they are not useful anymore. There is no need or reason to remove them. They work perfectly fine on mobs which are the intended number of levels below you for that skill level.
  9. Ryanxp Augur

My exact sentiment..

It seems raising the skill only increases its skill level, from (1) to (450+), but doesn't add any benefits

Is this true and can confirm? I have since traded my hotbuttons from Disarm, Intimidation, Slam, etc, to Conquering Frenzy, Frenzy, Axe Volley, etc. I can still increase Intimidation over 100 more points!
    And if this skill works often on light blues, greens, and gray mobs, I'd definitely set up hot buttons for them again! Disarm however seems to work pretty frequently