Updated Mage Raid DPS

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Creamowheatz, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Creamowheatz New Member

Hi,

I have been lurking for sometime and collecting notes and testing different setups both in raid and on dummy's for sometime and i think i have come up with a decent burn setup. I would like input from other mages on things i might be able to do better or am overlooking.
    1. Buffs: Prefight, Praetorian Guardian, Phantasmal symbiosis, Fire elemental illusion(then click off the song illusion portion which leaves the fire buff inplace), Water illusion or mount. Tonic of resonant fire XVII
    2. Pet: I am using water pet with gear. If time permits before fight i am casting Virulent, FBO, and TBM group chest then suspending and creating another pet which i then recast the same stuff just before the pull.
    3. Normal spell line up: Twincast, Remorseless, of many, Spear of molten shieldstone, Spear of blistersteel
    4. Burn Spells (during ITC): Of many, Spear of molten shieldstone, Spear of blistersteel, Spear of molten steel.
    5. Low mana spells(usually after a death or almost 0) Thaumitize, Rain, Rain
    6. Typically with everyone running burn buffs i run everything except EU. once tank has gathered mob i start swarm pet AA's after that I start with Burn on Multibind #2 and Normal on Multibind #3 both binds have force tied to them to cast during the global cooldown. I run Burn until Improved Twin Cast goes off. I then run Normal pretty much the rest of the fight.
    7. Clickies: I have found fiery core will also cast during the global cooldown and so i manually will click this in-between casts.I also summon both pet rods and icebound paradox prefight. I use the pet rods with the other swarm pets but dont typically use icebound unless im OOM due to its cast time eating into Global cooldown reset. im sure there are more...
    8. Mana preservation/extension: around 85-90% mana i begin using Global cooldown clicks like Mod Rod/ Horn of Unity. this doesnt take away from dps and ensures i have enough mana to finish the fight.
    Ok, Mages what other tips and tricks do you have?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Sancus Augur

You should use Ancient Hedgewizard Brew rather than Tonic of Resonant Fire.

I'd also refrain from using First Spire during a burn if your ADPS is on point, since Auspice + IoG (or a number of other ability combinations) will already have you at a 100% crit rate.

I've been told to avoid multibinding Force of Elements, though I personally haven't looked into issues with multibinding it.

Otherwise looks pretty good at first glance.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Iila Augur

I think I've ran into the problem they're talking about after I put Firestorm + Banestrike in a social on my multibind bar. Sometimes my spell bar gets bugged and it looks like a gem is refreshed, but isn't. So the multibind keeps trying to cast it, and getting the 'spell not refreshed' error message. It's an annoying bug, just how detrimental it is depends on where in your multibind it happens. The top spell in my multibind is a Dicho, so if it bugs there, I have to manually weave for a minute. If it's lower down, I might only have to do that for 8-12s.

A similar thing happens where my gems refresh after I start casting a spell. I don't have a casting timer up, and I get an error if I try casting, but after the cast time of the spell is up, my gems go into cooldown as normal.
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Brohg Augur

The illusion parts of Fire & Water forms can be buff blocked. Those don't interact with being on a mount or not.

Ancient Hedgewizard Brew > Tonic of Resonant Fire

Spell Twincast then ITC. Spell will refresh inside most modern raid events, ITC won't.

Assuming you work with other mag/nec/bst/brd/wiz/shm to keep lots of pets on all the time, Many should be top of your order for whole battle, not just burns.

clicking things during GCD doesn't delay casting the next spell, so go ahead click your Frozen Paradox, Blazing Orb > Molten Orb, Mark of the Last Wing, Necrobone, Vexbottle. This doesn't apply when the cast time is longer than GCD, so don't click Dagger of Evil Summons, etc.

Frenzied Burnout followup with CoA Robe, GoD Robe, TSS group robe
  5. Brohg Augur

I think that's a client display bug. I'm not convinced the spells are not actually casting just fine.
  6. Creamowheatz New Member

I've never ran into this issue. I bind the AA directly to the hotbar and that same number for my multibind. The only time it goes to the hotbar is when its unable to cast a gem IE during the Global Cooldown.
  7. Creamowheatz New Member

Clicking things im already doing during GCD. I hadnt been using paradox becuase unless your on point you run past the GCD and are cutting into normal casting. GCD is something like 1.2 sec pardox is right around 1 sec cast so unless you are timing things very well you could already be casting a higher dps spell though the last half second of pardox cast. granted its probably a small thing either way.
    Good idea buff blocking the illusion the only issue i see there is click off water illusion drops the buff unlike fire which casts the illusion seperate from the buff.
    You are saying Many should be above remorseless in both burn and normal? I will have to test this and see what effect it has on dps.
    I will swap ancient hedgewizard brew for tonic.
  8. Potawatomi Augur

1.5 for GCD if i remember correctly. Once you get into the flow of casting it along with the other clickies during GCD you won't run over. It's just getting used to the timing.
  9. Sancus Augur

Depending on your lag, how on point you are with casting it, and probably some other things, Paradox can slow down your casting. It's very low damage because it doesn't crit, so you're really not giving up a whole lot by not using it. On the other hand, if you are able to get that timing down, more power to you.
    Vdidar and Iila like this.
  10. Creamowheatz New Member

So i have been working and have some changes to my intial post. I changed guilds and almost always have a bard now so mana typically isnt an issue anymore.
    1. Buffs: Prefight, Praetorian Guardian, Phantasmal symbiosis, Fire elemental illusion, mount(depending on movement requirements). Ancient Hedgewizard Brew.
    2. Pet: I am using water pet with gear. Buff in lobby click Virulent Talon, Frenzy Burn out, and group chest then suspend Minon until fight.
    3. Normal spell line up( it is important to note that while this works very well in most cases you have to pay attention if you are on an event where there is heavy ae you may want to drop swarm and of many if you cant sustain 15 raid swarm pets you likely arent getting everything out of of many):
      1. Dicho
      2. Twincast
      3. Remorseless,
      4. of many,
      5. Spear of molten shieldstone,
      6. Spear of blistersteel
      7. Spear of Molten steel
      8. Bolt
    4. Burn Spells (during ITC):
      1. Of many,
      2. Spear of molten shieldstone,
      3. Spear of blistersteel,
      4. Spear of molten steel.
    5. Force of Elements(AA): I have droped this into the hot bar on both normal and Burn binds. I have noticed the issues that were mentioned above. Typically it only breaks for about five seconds. I have found by switching to the alternate burn i can continue casting. So if i was pressing normal and it starts doing the reset casting i switch to burn bind for five seconds then return to my other bind. it ensures that FOE is always on Cooldown and i havent noticed a problem with dps but i might move it to another button and manaully use it like i do clickies.
    6. Low mana spells(usually after a death or almost 0) Thaumitize, Rain, Rain
    7. Burn phase: Glyph of destruction 2, Focus arcanum, Improved twin cast, Elemental Union. When EU wears off First spire, Heart of flames. if burning multiple times try to coordinate with ADPS.
    8. Clickies:I use Fire core, Icebound Paradox, Earth Swarm, Fire Swarm. There are more that can be aquired.
    9. Mana preservation/extension: around 85-90% mana i begin using Global cooldown clicks like Mod Rod/Self Rod/Horn of Unity.
    Ok, Mages what other tips and tricks do you have?
  11. Sancus Augur

The 101 Bolt is higher damage* and DPS than the 95 Spear. When the focus AA for bolt was broken there was a (rather poor) argument for using the 95 Spear, but at this point I don't see a reason to use it.
    Why? Heart of Flames is a more potent focus than Elemental Union, so I don't see why you wouldn't use it with your main burn, and then use EU when Heart of Flames wears off. As far as First Spire, to maximize its effectiveness you most likely want to use it when Auspices have ended. The best way to time it is to figure out when your Rangers are doing Auspice (generally on a burn), and then work around that.

*Edit: Forgot that the spreadsheet I was looking at had the Rk 2 version of the 95 Spear (which is what I personally have) rather than Rk 3. Bolt is still higher DPS than both.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]
  13. Sancus Augur

Shhh, there are far more important things I've neglected to acquire....

In all honesty I really hate the 95 spear, and have yet to see a compelling argument to change my mind.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

What [far more important things]?
    IblisTheMage, Sancus and Brohg like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

Greetings Sancus! Do you need help with your [Earring of Solstice] or [Signet of Arcane] or [Eron Jewelry] or your Artisan Seal of [Baking], [Brewing], [Tailoring], [Smithing], [Pottery], [Jewelcraft], [Fletching], [Research], [Fishing], [Poison], [Tinkering], [Alchemy] or [all of the above]?

Sancus says, "What Planar Progression"

Sancus lowers his head in sadness and shame...
    Sancus likes this.
  16. Sancus Augur

FTFY

Edit: No, I don't have the shawl. No, I don't care about a chance at 600 points of non-crittable damage. Yes, it also has a decent mana return. Yes, I should be working on it, and I have been, just very slowly.
    Tarrith and kizant like this.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Sindaiann Augur

Booze, always booze.
  19. kizant Augur

Don't give in. Anyone who does tradeskills clearly has brain damage.
    Sancus and gotwar like this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

A couple things I do differently than what was posted in #10...

1. I do not use Dicho at every opportunity. It does not stack with Frenzied Burnout, which means during that time period you are essentially getting three DD procs of 40k, the heal and the aggro reducer. For the amount of mana it costs, I find that unless I need the heal it is a ton of mana for just 120k damage. Having said that, I do use it on raids- if I have the mana, if I know I won't be OOM at the end, if pet is taking AOE damage that Prism Skin cannot handle on its own, or if I need to reduce pet aggro and cannot Drape and don't want to summon companion and lose DPS... then sure I will use it. But not every 60 seconds. Just not as good as either classes' Dicho.

2. I do not multi bind Twincast and Remorseless, instead manually controlling and casting them. My reasoning is that on Twincast, I want to try and maximize what I get out of it. There are times when I have nothing running burn wise (no First Spire, no Black Wolf, no Heart/EU, etc) but one or more may be refreshed in 30 seconds. I choose to save Twincast until I can get something extra out of it that way, in which case delaying 30 seconds. Obviously this is situational as well; I am not going to wait four minutes to use Twincast if there is six minutes left in the raid event cause now I can only use it once instead of twice within six minutes. As far as not binding Remorseless, if it is towards the end of the mob then it starts to no longer be beneficial to use Remorseless because you will not get the full benefit of damage from the swarm pet. I would rather cast a DD spell for 110k damage than have Remorseless on the mob for two seconds and do like 30k damage. Of course if there is a second mob that has damaged me that I know Remorseless will switch to, then I will use it towards the end of mob's health.

3. Hostility taught me this one, and there is another thread talking about it. He gives his pet Ethernere arms and legs, and has found giving the pet those two items increases his pet DPS by about 3k. I used to not do this, but depending on if I have the components or not I plan on starting it.
    Sancus likes this.