Upcoming changes to group level ranges in instances!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Prathun, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ravengloome Augur

Someone already said theres going to be HOT and VOA gear available for marks as well as Underfoot
  2. RedJohn Journeyman

Yes, since I can handle the mobs myself, it doesn't matter that they miss and get resists only. They get good XP and i get some company. It's a win win. :cool:
    Sinestra and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  3. Trajet D'Or Augur

LOL, average level under 53 with the faction requirements to launch Find Fibblebrap, I'll need to build a new farm team, thought I had gotten thousands of kills in every version of the mission checking for DoDH zonewide rares.

51-51-51-51-51-61 works, new answer to rarest items in the game.
  4. Gnomeland Augur

Min and especially max level limits are bad, limit them to adaptive HAs.
  5. Tubben Elder

While you at it, could you please also remove the minimum number of players for old instances ? So you can request them with 1 player, instead of 6.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Cronos Journeyman

Not to be a troll, but I feel like the 30 level cap to group remains the best option. Obviously the only reason to increase the level spread is you want a PL from a max level earlier, a level 70 already gets 1 hit in zones where a 100 PL's. So a level 70 grouping where a 110 PL's would make even less sense. I would personally be happier if they gap was closer, so a level 80 could group with a 100, not a 70.

In regards to the buff levels, I feel it has always been fine, if level 1's could get buffs from level 100's, then you may as well just remove level 1, and skip people right to 40, since even just a dmg shield would mean a level 1 lands a spell, and the mobs instantly dead. Goodbye actual leveling, hello 1 hit kills, 1000x our regular hp and AC, and hits 20x harder. EQ is easy enough, why make it any easier.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Quatr Augur

I like the direction that you are taking and I appreciate the effort, but let me ask a possibly naive question. Have you considered letting the requester choose the level of the task from a list? Something along the lines of the daily POK quests where you can choose a level 80 (or 20) hot zone quest even if your character is level 100?

Given the wide variety of levels, classes, AAs and gear out there, it seems like it would be easier to let the players decide what level of difficulty they can realistically handle rather than go by level. In a way, it would be similar to LDON's "normal-vs-hard" system, except it would be more flexible. Of course, just like in LDON, requesting a lower level version of the instance will result in fewer currency tokens.
    Azzurri likes this.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Awesome!

Just to hop on the sidetrack train for a minute, people are already using level 100 buffs to power level their level 1 characters, it's just by a circuitous method. Even if you did change buffs so that any level could receive them, you'd still be better off doing it the way it is now, because the person taking the beating would be in level 100 gear.

The argument that level 1 characters shouldn't be able to be buffed by level 100 spells is kind of.....non existent, it's been in game for a very long time via the method *everyone* uses to PL characters, especially at low levels. Either people are not aware of how this is done, or are having a short circuit of logic.

TLDR: Allowing level 1 characters to receive any buffs would in actuality change very little. Most people would still power level their characters the way they currently do, as it would still be much faster and safer.

On another side note, I would love for spells to auto adjust to the level of the player you were casting them on. I can imagine that would be a real can of worms to code so it probably won't happen, but hey, I'm lazy lol.
  9. Quatr Augur

Personally, I am not worried about the impact on the folks who are PLing alts or friends. They know what they are doing and they will be able to PL level 1-65 characters quickly with or without this change, so it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

However, we also get quite a few returnees from the Kunark-OOW eras and even occasional honest-to-goodness newbies. Making them massively overpowered at that level will completely trivialize all low-level content, which may not be what the returnees want -- based on their Newbie Zone posts, many of them want to revisit their old haunts at a leisurely pace. While minor buffs like Temperance and level 49 DS's already make Old World mobs borderline trivial, high level buffs may be the last straw to break the camel's back.

TLDR: Seems like a risky proposition with limited upside and potentially significant downside.
  10. Lethandor_Cazic New Member

Lol, I still remember running around at lvl 5 feeling like the god king of thunder whenever I could save up enough plat to donate for KEI. I logged in one of my lvl 10's that I haven't played in years when looking for a ts item and he still had it on him. Haha, good times.
  11. Prathun Developer

That's actually what the result will be for many missions. Widening up the valid level range means that a group might be eligible for multiple missions at the same time. To make it easier to tell which version is which, we've changed the names of the mission to include the approximate level.

For example, if everyone in your group is level 53 and request a Dragons of Norrath mission, you could be offered:
    Storming the Goblin Temple [55]
    Storming the Goblin Temple [60]
    Storming the Goblin Temple [65]
    Storming the Goblin Temple [68+]

At level 100, you would only be eligible for "Storming the Goblin Temple [68+]" so this is not something you'll see as much at high levels.
  12. Trajet D'Or Augur

If you're going back and re-doing mission requesting why not give the same options to the Level 100 group?

Elder Longshadow #1: Freeing an Elder the lowest level version of the mission has a non-lore group DA click which remains desirable or Mistmoore 63-67.9 LDoNs dropping Bloody Ancille's Pouch.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I was just thinking about this, will it mean that these item will now drop in all levels of the mission?
  14. Quatr Augur

I think it's a step in the right direction, but, as Trajet D'Or pointed out, it still leaves certain desirable items like Bloody Ancille's Pouch unavailable to high level characters. Could you possibly comment on whether this is being done by design or due to implementation difficulties?
  15. Prathun Developer

The changes to task level ranges were meant to make it easier to participate in an instance with characters that you would otherwise be able to gain experience with in a group. Modifying the way our various group events are assigned is outside the scope of this change.
  16. LoudGuitar Journeyman

Thank you for increasing the level spread.
  17. EQTrixy Elder

Two days ago I was grouped up with my 100SK, 94 Shaman and 84 Mage. I tried to get some House of Thule group missions to progress my Mage through to get into the higher tears and get some gear upgrades. Level spread was too high. I will try back at 85 or 86.

As I understand it; I would have been able to get this mission with the change.
    Sinestra likes this.
  18. EQTrixy Elder

In regards to Heroic Adventures and this new change.

If I was to group my 100SK (with merc) and 84/85 Mage (with merc) and request a HA; what would the levels of the mobs be?

Near or around 100?
    Near or around 85?
    Average between?
    Something else?

If it's "near or around 100", then there is no point of me doing HA. Even if I could kill the mobs, it would take way too long to be worth it.

If it's "near or around 85", then I would do them; but it's not going to be that great of exp for the 100.

I would like it to be an average. That works best for me. 100SK isn't over whelmed and the 85 Mage is still useful.

I ask this not only for my boxes but for others in my guild. We have people with alts they play on off nights. Most are in the 80-90ish range. This gives everyone a chance to do something other than grind in the grounds for hours. And there is something to look forward to while doing these via the gear you can buy and upgrade to/from.

Is the currency going to still be Marks of Valor for everyone no matter the level? If so, then I take it that all gear will be bought using the same currency. Can my 85 Mage just save all the Marks and buy the best items at level 100?

Will the lower level gear you can buy be the same items that already drop in game? Or will it be something different, like the House of Thule non-vise you can buy?
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sorry but I don't understand,

Will the clickys in the lower level missions drop in the level 68+ ones?
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Will HA's be set up the same way?