Fixed unusable item + augment combination causes crash

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Aoibhinn, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Aoibhinn New Member

Currently: If I (warrior) am wearing Sapphire Choker of Adaption, and I add a Velrek's Enchanted Prism to it, I crash and receive the message that I have been disconnected. My first attempt to log back in gives me "Error - a timeout has occurred". Upon my second attempt to log in, the item is in my inventory and is monk and beastlord usable only due to the item/augment combination.

Expected: Upon attempting to add an augment to a worn piece of gear that would result in it being unwearable by my character, I should either not be allowed to do so, or it should turn the gear red (and possibly put it on my cursor?), but I should not crash.

I have been able to reproduce this bug multiple times, with the same result every time.
    To repro:
    Wear Sapphire Choker of Adaption
    Add the Velrek's Enchanted Prism augment to it
    See that you are disconnected
    Attempt to log back in
    See timeout error
  2. Aoibhinn New Member

A guild member reported the same behavior upon clicking an item in inventory that was made unusable by their class due to an augment (but the original item without augment is usable by their class). I suspect it is a different presentation of the same bug.
    Duder likes this.
  3. Derd Augur

Its pretty clear that item is class restricted, what was your reason for attempting to use it?
  4. Aoibhinn New Member

While I can't speak for my guild member that had a similar issue, in my case, I simply didn't think to look at the usable classes on the augment. I should have, but I didn't. It should NOT cause the game to disconnect me regardless.
    Duder and minimind like this.
  5. Clumkin New Member

Does the reason really matter? They performed an action, found a bug and reported it. I don't know if justification adds anything to a bug report. That action should not immediately time out a session.
  6. Derd Augur

It does, wasted dev time on something that a quick look at would show its unusable. Was the player hoping to fool the game into adding agi? Was it purely a mistake of not noticing its restrictions?
  7. Aoibhinn New Member

As previously stated, it was a mistake. But time spent fixing bugs is never wasted. And regardless of if it is ever fixed or not, they should be aware of it (and so should the community)
    Duder and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  8. Clumkin New Member

You're conflating problem with intent. The problem has zero to do with what the user was doing or not doing, the intent does not matter, the severity of a bug is based on the problems it causes:
    • Was this weaponized against you?
    • Is it a signal of a deeper problem?
    • Did they buy it off the bazaar that way?
    • Does it crash under different circumstances?
    • Did it happen in a DZ, pick, or large population zone?
    Those are some helpful questions that you could have asked instead.

It may be augments and gear here but can some other combination of buffs or items do it too? We don't know.

The user reported a reproducible bug to the forum and by virtue of this
    1. Gives other players a way to potentially identify being affected by the same mistake
    2. Even if they were attempting to do something untoward, this bug results in a crash. Any software developer would prefer that fail gracefully.

That is all the justification needed to post a bug.

By trying to add intent you are only trying to make it more difficult to report an issue. We should be encouraging good quality reports as a community and if the team needs more information then they can ask a follow-up question, you don't need to gatekeep for them, they're adults.
    Aoibhinn and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

regardless of the results of the interrogation, the fault shouldn't crash the game.
    Aoibhinn likes this.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I'm more curious as to how it happened. I tried to aug an item that would make it unusable by my race/class and the game wouldn't let me. I just get a pop up warning that the resulting item won't be usable and I have to click "Ok."
  11. Duder Augur

You're wrong on this one, swallow your pride, there is no reason to argue. People loot items all the time without checking every nuance of the item and its compatibility with their character. That is a very simple, common, and reasonable mistake to make. By no means should the client crash due to such a minor mistake. That, in fact, is a MASSIVE bug that does warrant developer time to investigate and fix. Anything at all that crashes the client is a big problem.

Remember folks, push "like" on the OP's original post to garner dev attention so that this can be tracked and it be assigned a priority to fix.
    Syylke_EMarr and Aoibhinn like this.
  12. Aoibhinn New Member

I think the difference is that you are talking about a resulting item that wouldn't be useable by anyone. This result is still usable by some, just not my class. Hopefully this attachment works. It should be a gif that shows exactly how. (attachment didn't work. here's the URL)
    https://imgur.com/a/M0XsqBG
    [IMG]
    Duder likes this.
  13. Meeko Developer(Code)

This was fixed with today's update.