Unlock old Rk. III spells ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, May 5, 2013.

1. Angahran Augur

Any chance of having old rank 3 spells unlocked ?
    Maybe like how the raid powersources get unlocked from new raids (not sure if that's still happening with RF raids).

E.g, complete a RoF raid and you get a flag that unlocks rank 3 spells that are 3 expansions back and older ?

(I just hate having gaps in my spellbook)

p.s. if powersources are not getting unlocked from current raids, could we get that added ?
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Rank 3 spells, with the exception of some SoD ones, were all from rune turn-ins. There is nothing to "unlock."
  3. Angahran Augur

Fine, I'll rephrase then.

Could older rank 3 spells be made available in some other way than from turn ins from raid runes ?
  4. EQbud Augur

Buried Sea and Some SoF Rank 3 spells were locked behind flags as well.
  5. Axxius Augur

Why would you need some other way? Old expansion raids are easy enough to be 1-grouped or even soloed (depending on how old). And if you are talking about recent expansions, then it's too early to 'unlock' the loot from them (including rk3 spells) to those who can't defeat them.
  6. Fyredup New Member

What does it being a Rune have to do with it?
    Muramite Runes where turn ins and now are unlocked and available on POK spell merchants. Ethereal and Spectral Parchments also are unlocked and no longer require a turn in.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That isn't "unlocked" that's "they were specifically added to a vendor that previously didn't have them before."

The key difference being someone had to spend time to manually add a few hundred spells to vendors instead of just changing a line of code somewhere to remove a flag requirement.
  8. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Go kill the old raids... They are easy enough.
  9. Thrillho Augur

I'd agree with this. If you're able to beat the newer raids, chances are you can defeat the older raids. But most of the raid forces who are doing RoF are not doing VoA, and definitely not doing HoT, despite being able to run through most of them fairly effortlessly.

For monks, we typically don't need to use the previous version of a disc. I'm not sure how often old spells get used for other classes, so I won't speak for them. I think the only "old" one I use is Crane Stance. I would be very annoyed if I didn't have Rk 3 already and my raid force said they weren't going back to the older content.

An easy solution to this would be to add in a downgrade option at the spell merchant. Have a terrormote? Downgrade to a periapt. It's no more work for the developers to add spells to a merchant for each class. Most raid forces should already have their members decked out with most of their spells already, especially the ones which don't have an upgrade (like Crane Stance), and I don't think there would be much in terms of needing to go back to an older spell. But it would let newer or returning raiders a chance to get their missed spells and abilities, ones which haven't already been upgraded.

I would avoid doing multi-stage downgrades though (so no going from glowing terrormote to greater terrormote, just terrormote to periapt).
    Ishtass likes this.
  10. Fyredup New Member

There was a requirement to obtain and that requirement was removed, thus unlocked. The same could be done with old rk III spells and therefore the original request was legit. It makes no difference how previously locked content is made available, if Sony made old runes purchaseable would that make you happy. Try not to miss the point of the thread by trying to point out semantics , the original point was made and easily understood.
  11. gcubed Augur

You know that those spells on the vendors in the Library are essentially group spells. The vendors don't even sell Rk. II spells. The closest thing to a raid spell on those vendors are the level 65 PoP spells and even those could have been grouped "back in the day".

I am not saying that unlocking old Rk. III spells is a bad idea, but using the group spells on the PoK Vendors who don't sell Rk. II's as a justification just doesn't make sense.
  12. Eanelder Augur

Id love to see Rk3 unlock after X levels.

Barring that, I'd like to see Rk3 spells be made research-able, since the trade seems pretty useless now. All sub 80 spells are available in PoK and those 80+ Rk2 spells that are re-searchable are also available on vendors to those who happend to complete the progression and are tradeable.
  13. Tachyon Augur

Just make the old runes tradeable!

I would be easy to code, would give people a reason to revisit old raids, and would put the spells within everyone's reach.
  14. Axxius Augur

They kinda are. X = 15. Doing lv 85 raids for spells shouldn't be a problem for a group of lv 100 players, or even solo for some.
  15. sojuu Augur

Monks also use cloud of fists(87) and ironfist(88) and if you aren't your missing out on a lot of dps. But I feel people think too much into rk2 vs rk3. Really its not a huge difference. I do completely disagree with unlocking rk3s but I wouldn't mind being able to trade down a higher version of a spell trade in for a lower one. But then again I also hate the rk1-3 spells. Personally Id rather see either you have the spell or you don't, kinda like u had to win in anguish to get a 70 spell. And if not oh well guess you don't get that spell.
    Ishtass likes this.
  16. Coltraine Journeyman

I don't care if I ever see a rank III spell, but I think three ranks of spells is a bit excessive and not worth the effort to balance. I'd be fine with two ranks, tuned to current Rank II/III versions, with future rank IIs being raid only.
  17. Silv Augur

Aside from a few classes (mainly necros due to stacking)... which Rk. 3 spells would you really want that much? Go read the spell data beween Rk. 2 and Rk. 3, then try to justify the amount of resources it would take to implement the unlocking/vendoring.

If it is that critical, I'm sure you can manage to get your friends to help you kill a few old raids. Just because something is from X expansions ago does not mean it should be trivial or a freebie now. Look at Vex Thal if you want a good example of restricted items.

IF they were to consider "unlocking", my suggestion would be to add a current level quest with OLD Rk. 3 spell turn-ins as a reward or revive research and add recipes that requires very rare ingredients to make the item.

And to the OP... I wouldn't exactly consider having Rk 2 but not Rk 3 a "gap" in the spell book. That's more of a "completionist" goal. Not bashing you as I can understand that mentality but it's not the best argument compared to asking for an unlock because a class is severely hindered by not having Rk. 3 (which is almost never the case).
  18. Angahran Augur

a) if you don't care about rk. iii spells then why are you posting ?
    b) if you want to go solo old raids, go ahead, thats got nothing to do with this thread, so why are you posting ?

This was a simple question.
    I was simply asking if it would be possible to have some alternate method to obtain old rk. iii spells.
    I know they are not uber.
    I know I'll probably never even mem them.
    However, I don't like having gaps in my spellbook.
    And no, I can't simply go solo all the old raids.
    Should I suggest you go solo the sisters event in dreadspires ?
    Eanelder likes this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you want rank 3 spells go and group the raids for them, they already unlock the zones so you don't have to do flagging for them.
    Tegila likes this.
  20. Axxius Augur

Sorry for thinking that you wanted to discuss your own issue. My bad. Here is a simple answer to your simple question:
    [IMG]
    Sinestra, Deveryn, Xnao and 2 others like this.