Unknown icons on screen

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by OldRodKS, Mar 26, 2021.

1. OldRodKS Elder

Since I came back from my latest long absence, I notice there are 4 icons on my screen that I can't figure out. They are in a separate window. Two of them have "AV" on them. Another says WB and the 4th, I can't remember. They don't have tooltips, and I can't seem to interact with them.

What are these?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You certainly can interact with them. Just click them. They open a window describing the event the icon is for. "AV" is for anniversary events.

There are two buttons in the new window. One closes it, but leaves the icon to look at again later. One closes it and gets rid of the icon. As new events come up, new icons will appear.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They are announcement pop ups. We also now have a calendar where you can also view the events mentioned on the pop up.

You can see the calendar by typing /cale in your chat window. Or go to your EQ button and click on "alerts"

Each of those pop ups have a minimize and close button when they are open. If you never click close then they will build up forever it seems.

For that reason you may see many that are out of date but still there since they were never closed. You can move the pop up window to an unobtrusive area and "lock" it in place.
  4. OldRodKS Elder

OK, thanks. Yeah, I can click them now. I had another window overlapping them that was blocking it earlier.

5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If I remember correctly, that window can't be "moved". You have to keep dragging corners (i.e. resizing), until you get it to the spot and size that you want it. And where there are no icons in it, the window is completely gone.
  6. Herf Augur

Sometimes, particularly on newly created characters, there's an empty, transparent, locked window. To get rid of it you have to right click on the edge and unlock it, then set "esc to close". Hit the ESC key and it's gone for good. This is different than the event popups which will and should come back, but it may be the blocking window you had.
    Annastasya likes this.
  7. Basak Augur

That empty box is the quest tracker box, any quests you have in the quest window marked as track show up there. I personally find it unnecessary so I just removed the box.
    Annastasya likes this.
  8. OldRodKS Elder

Yeah, it was the quest box that was blocking mine too, but it's gone now :)

Thanks for the help everyone
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

One time, my younger brother left himself logged in, while I was over visiting. During a bathroom break, someone changed his UI windows to all close when you hit escape. The text I got the next morning is epic, and always makes a day better