Universal Chat server instability

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Underbrush, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piestro Augur

Had a problem this afternoon that may or may not have been specifically related. We're still looking into the general issue as well as today's issue.
  2. Eandolf Elder

Can I report UCS as a spammer?
    Fenthen and Retty like this.
  3. Ruinedmyownlands Elder

Thank you for the reply! :)

All we wanted was to hear from you that this is being worked on.
    Elricvonclief and Fanra like this.
  4. svann Augur

Should rename it to
    Undead Chat Server
    moogs and Fenthen like this.
  5. Narye Augur

Hurray!

Many thanks for replying!
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What was released in 2002 was NOT the UCS; what was added in 2002 were IRC servers which hosted the chat channels. These existed until around the time that the original EQIM stopped working; partly due to the "Link bots" which had started to pop up and were gaining increasing use; this is when the UCS came into being in EQ.

The UCS did not come into existence at all until sometime between 2003-2005 with the newer games such as SWG and EQ2 using it long before EQ did. It was not until June of 2006 that EQ moved to the UCS as an answer to the "Link bots" and other channel misuse as well as unifying the chat channel system across all games to make things easier on SOE's side for future game changes. You weren't able to chat without logging in again until the Station Launcher was added, but that was ended due to the Hack.

The UCS never has worked all that great, when it originally started to be used it would crash multiple times every day. Eventually, they were able to refine it, but it has always crashed out at least once or twice a week, if not more. When these crashes happen you couldn't reconnect to the UCS until you zoned or relogged; this is what the 'fix' addressed. The main issue with the fix is the amount of spam it is generating due to the UCS going up and down so often on certain days.
    Those are artifacts of the original chat channels which in fact were IRC channels; after all, why change all the existing commands just because they changed the service which runs the channels.
  7. Underbrush Elder

Thank you, glad it is being looked at.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

Bring back EQIM!
    Nissko, Gyurika Godofwar and Brohg like this.
  9. LoladenPrexus New Member

Annnnnnnd here we go freaking out again
  10. Repthor Augur

can we get an option to just turn UCS off when it goes mode
  11. Perplexed Augur

hehe
    One Saturday I got so sick of the spam I logged out, went to UI where the /autojoinchannel line is and deleted that. Then the next time I logged in, removed everyone from /ignore list. Unforunately I had to make 6 new buttons to join and leave channels, but at least it's reduced the spam to a tolerable level.
  12. CaRnon Augur

So I did not feel like reading all 111 posts did they say why the issue with UCS has been worse the last few months then previously? I do like that they allowed us to auto-re-join it without having to zone... I just dislike the disconnect/reconnect's every 30seconds some nights.

Why not bring back the IRC Channels.. I can put up with some fake gear links and random spam in exchange for a more stable chat system.

-C
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Gragas Augur

Sort of? Maybe the increase in the size of the chat channels?

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/universal-chat-issues.207988/
    CaRnon likes this.
  14. Harabakc Augur

They're broken again.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

UCS is out of control tonight, as an extra bonus I'm getting lag spikes tonight when it does. Three deaths tonight due to lag from this.

16. Piestro Augur

Please continue any further conversation on this topic here.

Thanks,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.