Uninteded consiquence of agro changes. Agro kiting with pet (necro)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by YellowBelly, Nov 11, 2017.

1. YellowBelly Augur

Greetings fellow necros. I fear recent agro changes such as discussed in this thread have led to unintended difficulties to agro kiting. Specifically the use of a pet while practicing this longstanding and classic necro tactic.

To those unaware, the use of a pet while agro kiting is commonly believed to be the reason we have one rogue class pet with every level increase. Their backstab ability fits in nicely with the agro kite tactic. We have one warrior pet for pet tanking and one rogue pet for agro kiting and use with a group. Follow me?

Kiting is simple. Cast snare, load the mob up on damage over time spells, and send in your pet. Simple right? Not any longer. The mob will automatically turn to melee your pet and not ignore it like in the past (the past being the last 15 years or so). It is nearly impossible to agro kite using a pet these days. I believe it has to do with the fairly recent change to agro discussed in my post about pet tanking. Both abilities are now out of whack compared to how they used to work.

With the recent wreaking ball the current development team seems to be taking to longstanding EQ mechanics, it would have been nice if they considered our agro kiting difficulties after such a drastic change. I'm not foolish enough to believe this one post (that will probably never be looked at by a developer anyways btw) will reverse the change, but hopefully will bring attention to the fact any tinkering to core mechanics include long reaching consequences to core class tactics.

TL;DR changes to how pet agro works makes kiting with a pet impossible.
  2. Brohg Augur

You have /pet taunt on.

Kited mobs would never in the history of EQ ignore a pet to chase a player, unless that player had higher agro than the pet. Kited mobs do not now turn to melee a pet unless that pet has highest agro. Nothing whatsoever has changed about pet agro when players are not in melee range.

TL;DR you this up, not teh debil debelopers
  3. YellowBelly Augur

Sorry but that is not true or you were kiting wrong. In the past I could always outagro my pet and the mob would always ignore him and chase me while getting pet meleed.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Simple answer turn pet taunt off if you want to kite.
  5. Pimm New Member

With the change, all of the dots are generating much less agro (thank god) but just turn off your sublety and you'll be fine, one dot tick from any dot still holds agro from the pet quite easily.
  6. fransisco Augur

I think you can also disable spell casting subtlety. I think that will help significantly.
  7. strongbus Augur

what in the world are you doing. I box and use my necro pet all the time for off tanking or such. even with pet taunt on and spell casting subtlety I can pull agro off of my pet and keep it if I wanted to.
  8. Siddar Augur

This keeps coming up. So I will make general statement again about pet taunt.

Pet are terrible at agro generation period. What was changed with mid TBM change to Pets? Is that agro generation got far worse then it was and at the same time pet taunt was improved.

What this mean is that every few second your pet will taunt and unlike before the TBM changes it will gain agro almost every time from doing so. Unlike prior to changes where it would gain agro very rarely by use of taunt.

So the fix is to turn pet taunt off. If you don't want pet to draw agro every few seconds. Turn it on if you want pet to take agro.
  9. Siddar Augur

Pets will take agro from being low con to you. Make it hard to test pets on beta. When they don't get pet earing focus and summon as lite blues.