Ultra-Wide Monitor and Particle Effects

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by vaenivo, Jul 7, 2020.

1. vaenivo New Member

I use a 34" 3440x1440p as my primary monitor. I play all games at this natural resolution, and while most things look absolutely gorgeous there are a few graphical aberrations that are EQ specific.

There's a clear "stretching" of the game landscape and characters. This is not an issue at all actually. I'm two-boxing on Aradune and my second monitor is a standard 27" 2560x1440p. My brain has adjusted to prefer the wider aspect ratio on the primary monitor. I only mention this "widening" because of how I assume it relates to my only real issue ...

Particle effects are not "in place" as they are on a standard resolution aspect ratio - more dramatically "out of place" as the distance increases between my camera and the object/particle in question. This is something I would like assistance on if possible.

Take a bard for example: If a bard in my group is standing near me then the song effects swirl around their body as expected. Once they dash off in order to pull a new mob to camp, that song particle effect starts to proportionately rise above on the z-axis as their distance from my camera increases.

Similar example: If I'm running towards a town gate with a lit fire brazier, the fire particles are way up in the sky. As I run closer to it, the particle effect slowly starts to lower into place as the distance shortens.

My assumption is that the aspect ratio of this ultrawide monitor - that "widening" effect - is screwing with some of the graphical assets, and I would love if there was a possible workaround or fix. It's clear that the game itself does not handle this resolution/aspect ratio despite offering it as a display option.
  2. Terses Half Elf Warrior of Tarew Marr

EQ hasn't ever played nicely with non-standard aspect ratios, which is what you're seeing there.

While not totally elegant, you could set the viewport to be a 'standard' ratio, you'll end up with black space on the sides of your play field, but it is 'usable' in that you could move your chat boxes and inventory into those spaces- think old original EQ UI but at high res!

Here is an explanation on the command from the EQ Interface forums:
    https://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4180
  3. vaenivo New Member

Thanks for the advice!

I don't mind the "stretched" look, and thoroughly enjoy the extra viewing space around my character. My only issue is the particle effect aberration. While I'm sure the /viewport command could prove useful I'd rather not lose the screen real-estate I'm currently working with.
  4. Tyreel Augur

The black space can still be used to place all your UI elements on so in a way you can see what is going on better while removing the stretched effect from everything. Not a great solution but might be worth looking at before dismissing.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Vildainn New Member

I just tried the viewport command and the "Effects" is still messed up. It definitely has to do with my ultrawide screen.