UI Suggestions with a 4k Monitor

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Crackers, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Crackers Augur

Good morning, afternoon, or evening to ye!

I'm curious if anyone has any solid UI's or suggestions for a returning player with a 32in 4k monitor. The print is so tiny I can't my screen. Would love to know from some players what solutions are actually working for them.

Thanks!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Galvanize Elder

Try checking out some of these pieces...
    https://www.eqinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=93040&showdays=&so=asc&sb=hits
    Installing is as easy as downloading them and chucking them into a folder then using /loadskin once you're in-game

Its pretty bleak though, they havent been updated in awhile some of them, the devs tried to implement a scaling/modern version of the UI system and then realized it was beyond their abilities.
  3. Captain Video Augur

I would advise against trying to run EQ at any resolution higher than 2560x1440 on a 4K display (or 2560x1600 if your display is 16:10). EQ does not yet have the font scaling you need for higher resolution, and it's not something a third-party UI can magically add in. The new native UI system, which is often discussed on here, is supposed to eventually provide a solution, but it is now years behind schedule.
  4. Sunawar New Member

I run at 3840 x 1080 and it looks amazing. I would keep investigating this.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. Crackers Augur

When you say running EQ at those resolutions, are you suggesting I change my screen resolution, or the resolution within the game itself? I tend to play in windowed mode if that impacts your answer.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I run 4k on default UI. It's amazing. My UI takes up like 15% of my screen. The rest is all Norrath.

Fonts are a bit small, but if you max out the font size it's honestly not bad.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I agree like to know how too as i got a LG 32 wide gaming monitor but everything is so small they did have for awhile the ui which made the inventory and some other thing bigger then i couldnt use anymore as for some reason bag inventory wouldnt open unless i resized the ui everytime i log in which was very annoying so now i have off but everything is so tiny. The way its going ui for eq will take a longtime or never happen.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

why not post a pic? hard to believe its amazing maybe you got super good eyesight?
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

I was looking into options for locking the magnifier in place to help you and I did figure out a nifty way to exploit the magnifier tool in windows when using docked mode that you might want to try.

Windows magnifier - Docking work-around
    Open the magnifier using WIN+(+)
    Open the settings by clicking the gear.
    Set to docking mode.
    Uncheck all the focus options except for follow mouse.
    Drag the magnifier to the spot you want it to be, scale it as desired and set your zoom.
    Move the settings window for the magnifier so that the checkbox for "follow mouse" is in the region you want to keep permanently magnified.
    Uncheck follow mouse. No follow options should be checked.
    Magnifier will stay docked in that spot and focused on the area it was focused on when you disabled the tracking.
    It will take a couple trys to figure out exactly where the checkbox for disabling mouse needs to be when you click it, but once you figure it out, it works.
    Setup your UI around this magnified region, so the things you want magnified are in there, nothing is covered in the dead space, etc.

Windows magnifier - Lense mode
    Hit WIN+(+) to start the magnifier. Click settings. Set the mode to lens mod. Set it to follow mouse.
    This option might be more palatable if you use the EQ options for cycling NPC targets, hotkeys for Xtar windows, etc.
    You can quickly disable magnifier with WIN+ESC
    If you get a gaming keyboard or mouse, like the logitech G602, you can bind the magnifier to G1 and G2 to quickly enable and disable with your thumb.

Full screen mode
    I believe you can still set the resolution for EQ while in full screen mode.
    Set EQ in a resolution lower than your monitor.

Virtual desktop work around for full screen (not to be confused with a virtual machine)
    WIN+TAB to bring up your desktops
    Drag EQ to Desktop 2
    Set EQ to full screen with a lower resolution
    Instead of using Alt+TAB to switch from EQ to a window, switch desktops
    CTRL+WIN+Left/Right lets you swap between desktops

Inner Space
    Lets you force a resolution. Do your research before hand.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Because posting pics to this forum is a pain in the . It works for me. /shrug
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Upload it to imgur or imgbb or something and link it. It takes no time. Those of us with 4k monitors would like to see what a working 4k interface looks like.
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

[IMG]
    Svann2 and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

14. ForumBoss Augur

Default UI + lasik or otherwise corrected vision. Don't push the monitor back all the way. I play 4k with 28", but if I shoved the monitor all the way back, it would be a challenge.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  15. Cannikin Augur

If you're running windowed mode, you can force EQ to use your global Windows scaling. By default, Windows 10/11 applies a general scaling factor on high resolution monitors to prevent the UI/icons from appearing too small, but for specific applications you need to tell the program to use Windows' scaling instead of its own internal resolution settings.

- Go to your EQ installation folder and find "eqgame.exe"
    - Right click eqgame.exe, go to "Properties"
    - In the Properties window, go to the "Compatibility" tab
    - Click the "Change high DPI settings" button near the bottom
    - In the following menu uncheck "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
    - Click OK
    - EQ will now use the global Windows scaling setting

You can find this scaling factor in Display Settings. 200% scaling would make everything appear as large as it did on 1080p while filling a 4K display. Note that the scaling will actually render EQ in 1080p and scale it up, so it won't appear as sharp as native 4K.
    Kaelwyse and Vumad like this.
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

The magnifier option I explained could work for this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I prefer the smaller UI. I play the game to see it. I don't like UI getting in my way.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

It would toggle on and off with WIN (+) and WIN ESC if you needed it.
  19. Crackers Augur

This was the post that fixed my issue. Thank you Cannikin for the recommendation!
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Nice one whats funny i used have to a alienware laptop 18 inch screen which i had np seeing everything fine. then i got a desktop with a 32 inch 4k monitor and i can hardly see anything in eq as everything is so small. Regretting breaking my laptops screen lol live and learn though.