UI Issues with No Error Message?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Talif, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Talif Augur

I logged in today and noticed that my UI was loading the default. When I checked the UIErrors.txt, this was the entirety of the log. Any ideas where I can get some more useful info so I can actually try troubleshooting this?

2. Fenthen aka Rath

Make sure your custom UI is updated every patch. Grab the recent files from default and copy/replace.
  3. Talif Augur

My custom UI is built of pieces I've found and created over the years. Any issue in the past has always had info in the error file and then I was able to correct it myself. I also only have the files with changes in them in the custom folder so it pulls everything else from default
    Svann2 likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

You could look in the default ui folder, sort it by date, then check the most recent downloads against the same files in your ui mod folder. If they updated a file you that you are using as a mod then that mod may not be valid anymore. Go see if there is an update for it or delete it.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

I generally take the default folder, sort by modified date, and grab the past 1-2 months of files, copy, navigate to my custom UI folder, paste, confirm to replace.
    Hobitses likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ok, that right there is not the way to do it.

Your custom UI folder should contain only those files you have changed from default.

Here's what my UIErrors.txt file shows:

UIErrorLog created at Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file SIDL.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_DragItems.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_SpellIcons.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_Templates.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_CharacterCreate.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_ChatWindow.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
    [Tue Feb 22 18:15:44 2022] Warning: file EQUI_ChatContainerWindow.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Fanra\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.

And so on for a total of 543 lines. Try removing from your custom folder all but the files you have changed. Then you can see the "Attempting to use file from Default skin." for every file you don't have. At that point, you can see if there are any other error messages.

You want EQ to load all the files from the Default skin (UI) except for those it finds in your custom folder, which should just be the ones changed from the default files.
    Hobitses, Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  7. Fenthen aka Rath

Well you learn something new every day I guess. I figured it would crash & burn if it was missing basic files. Thanks for the info!
    Fanra likes this.
  8. Talif Augur

Weird, after trying a half-dozen times the other day with nothing showing in the UIerror file, it actually populated today and it was down to these two. Something to play with later

[Wed Feb 23 11:58:53 2022] Error: Could not find child MVW_ShowNamesButton in window MapViewWnd
    [Wed Feb 23 11:58:54 2022] Error: Could not find child DragonHoard in window BigBankWnd