UI INI file issues

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Teylana, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Teylana Elder

It finally hit me. EQ crashes when I tried to log in my pally. Apparently, the UI_Character_Server.INI file becomes corrupted and EQ locks up and crashes when you try to log in. The thing is that I can't see what it is in the file that is messed up.

This isn't an isolated thing either. Several other players have said that they've had the same problem. It wouldn't be so bad except that redoing a UI in this game is a royal pain in the tush.

Does anyone know what it is that gets corrupted?
  2. qweasy Augur

Still have the files you could post somewhere?
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I know chat tabs were an issue with crashing so once you re do the UI can you get logged in enough to turn off all chat windows but your main one and see if that helps? Options - uncheck "use tell windows". Then close all the chat windows but your main one - right click in window and select close.

Also you can make a level 1 character and set up the UI on that how you want it and then copy it over to the character having issues when you get logged in so you don't have to keep remaking it.
  4. Teylana Elder

I tried something last night that both worked and didn't. Just for S&Gs I copied the contents of my original .INI files to the ones the games created and saved them. Exact copy. They worked perfectly - except that all the chat tabs except Main were gone.

I suspect a bit of bad coding with regards to the chat windows.

I should point out that I also run the stock UI.
  5. niente Developer

If you can find time to post a UI file that causes crashes that would be helpful (bonus to also post one that is a non-crash version).
    xxGriff likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, this follows on what I said above - if you can delete all chat windows while in game and then set them back up if and how you want them then it should work to stop the crashing.

Others have reported its specifically the "combat" window tab and to keep that open. However I have never had a "combat" window. I just turned off all my separate windows and then set up the ones I wanted and no more crashing.
  7. Dega Elder

I had this issue. I am using a custom AYA and they have an extra folder with the chatwindows without tabs, i switched out my chatwindows for those and havnt had any issues since
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If you just open more chat tabs they should be in the locations you previously had them. Possibly settings for them still saved.
  9. Troutfest Augur

How to post a bad file? too big to do at once, could try to break it down but is there a better way? Its my UI_charactername_selo.ini that I renamed and deleted original, then logged on with no ui to default and it works.
  10. niente Developer

You can post it in parts
  11. qweasy Augur