Two mercs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mirthe, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Arkanny Augur

Mercs are heresy as it is, if anything i wish them gone.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  2. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Two mercs
    One cup?

mé·nage à trois
    Flatchy likes this.
  3. Cronar Elder

I am all for allowing two mercs at a time.
  4. Paladin Augur

This sounds like a 4th Perk Package to me.... the Merc Perk!

* Use 2 mercs, with one toon, at the same time;
    * Active paid accounts only;
    * Merc activation and maintenance costs will be doubled (to pay for 2 mercs), and then doubled again, since 2 merc teams are more valuable (basically, merc cost will be 4 times what a single merc cost is);
    * You can only use 2 Mercs if your character has auto-afk activated;
    * Each Merc must be of a different Merc type;
    * If character goes AFK, the mercs go passive and will stay that way until reactivated manually;
    * Adds a 2nd Merc tab to your Inventory window to equip Merc Gear, for the 2nd Merc;
    * Grants access to four new Merc AA's (one for each merc type), that allows them to use Rank III Spells and Discs.
  5. Bernel Augur

I think a sub option would be good for some people, but I personally would prefer a pay-as-you go option. I really only need a 2nd merc occasionally--just when I'm playing my high level char and need some help. When I'm playing lower-level characters, a single merc is fine. I might go weeks or months without needing the 2nd merc. Perhaps they could have an option where the 2nd merc can only be paid in Bayle Marks. Those are 20 for 100 DB cash. For people who just have an intermittent need, that might work out fine.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

That would be like 5kpp a hour... I'm not sure why you are suggesting such a heavy penalty. Double is more than enough. It's not like people are going to be doubling up on mercs on a regular when other players are available. Don't need to quadruple down. Just need help during low playtimes and on older quests people don't want to do. Like the 14th anniversary quest I want to do and no one is interested in going.
  7. Paladin Augur

Yea. 4.5K-ish at 120. But using Advanced Looting and selling the Vendor loot, that is easy to cover. /shrug

That suggestion, tbh, was born out of the seeming habit of Devs wanting to include some penalty, when offering advantages.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

In this comment, in this limited regard - we are brothers of the same mind.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Two mercs at a time be nice specially if the tank can take damage better than my ranger then i could fight tougher stuff. Expansion keep getting mobs with more and more hps :(
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

Just get a second computer and honestly who doesnt have like 2-5 of some old gems stashed away in storage. Then you can run 3 toons and have your full box you are all aiming for.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I see no reason for them to be different types of mercs
  12. baby-iksar Journeyman

its not in the road map. the road map is to suspend accounts for playing two characters, not to enable it. the merc system sucks. they would really need to improve the game to make this work, and making the game actually playable and fun is not in the roadmap.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think that depends a lot on the class. As an ENC, I am very light on DPS. I can't heal or tank. Charming doesn't benefit much from having 2 mercs. A tank/clr merc would put my merc group at like 300k DPS.

I guess if I go back a few expansions but it could be pretty hard to make ends meet if I want to try to farm current collections or something while I LFG. The 2 merc option would be just as wildly different for a SK vs ENC as it is currently with 1 merc. The tanks are at about 80k DPS and the rogues at 180k DPS for a Cleric or DRU would have a similar experience.

The kill rates of support classes with mercs is much lower than for tanks and DPS and a second merc doesn't change that very much.
  14. Bardy McFly Augur

This is what I did for a few years before I went full box group.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

why stop at 2 mercs let us get five so us solo players can have a full group :)
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That auto afk kick part seems pointless and punitive for no reason. No real difference between a single character with 2 mercs or a group with 3 mercs when you get down to it. As for the merc type being different that shouldn't matter either if they want two of a class let them have it.

Finally the costs are expensive enough as it is, no need to make them more expensive because someone needs two mercs to solo while others only need one.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Dude, shush!
    :)
  18. Metanis Bad Company

I like (/sarcasm) how the mindset is that if they give us a little perk they also have to give us a nice fat penalty for using it.

Are you people all masochists? What's wrong with actually enticing people to play the LIVE game by offering some enhancements?
    Vumad and Nennius like this.