Two Kronos a month for Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by pikken, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamweaver Community Manager

This is very quickly becoming an argument between 2-3 people. I think it's time for them to take a break from the thread before I am forced to lock it and the others that might want to discuss this idea would lose their ability to.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

3. yerm Augur

If you want an exclusive access server you don't charge extra, you REQUIRE a credit card. Any account that has never attached a real identity to it is not welcome. This removes 90%+ of the throwaway garbage such as a farming bots or warp trainers which tend to be spun up and written off using purely krono.

From there, if you want a no box (must group with other real people) server, you restrict it based on these accounts. Some people will of course figure out how circumvent it but most people aren't going to be able to toss around credit cards with unique names, and especially so if they get caught and banned and would have to spin up new accounts with new named cards.

Finally, if you want to make it harder, you can bring in the corpse runs and slash early mitigation and maybe even go over the top with pet debuffs and charm nerfs and etc. The game still won't be easy though because at it's base it's all long since been solved and people aren't stupid. You might scare some mediocre players into avoiding challenging zones but overall it won't change too much except make griefers/trainers a bit more powerful than they are currently. The everquest experience is out of the bottle and that feeling of discovery and ignorance will never come back - you'll need a new game for that (and IMO there is nothing good on the horizon).
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Xenich Elder

Depends, for some of us, we never played past GoD, so there is a ton of expansions to experience.

Along with a lot of your ideas,

If I could change things to my liking.. I would...

1. Remove in game maps completely (ie no being able to track your movement).
    2. No help systems (bouncy ball, life line, etc...).
    3. Remove PoK portals (only have single portal to PoK--->PoT and back to a single location).
    4. Remove Luclin porting, again... only a single location back and forth to the moon (no using it to fast travel around the world). Class ports would still exist though, but I would remove a lot of the fast travel spells some of the classes have now (they are over done).
    5. Naked corpse runs.
    6. Large exp loss.
    7. No grave yard summoning, NPC corpse summons, etc... other than a necro summoning within the zone.
    8. Slow run speed down to release levels, remove mounts, etc... (it should take a long time to cross the zones).
    9. Remove a lot of Alchemy potions and the like, creating more class reliance.
    10. All gear is BoP.
    11. No boxing period.
    12. No mercs
    13. No defiant gear/glooming, etc...
    14. No store.
    15. No Krono
    16. Put regen for mana HP back to release levels.
    17. Remove trans NPCs, force boat rides on all boating courses.
    18. Force first person perspective, no camera views.
    19. Medding with book in face (no being able to cheat view when you are supposed to be distracted while you med. This will make some spells useful again such as "sentinel" and illusion forms, hide, etc...)

I could go on and on, but that is what I would like personally.

Honestly though, I wish they would just package a server release with a server based subscription and licensing model. That way, we could adjust the game to our liking, redesign, etc... using the actual tools they use. The private servers are limited in that you are forced to the restrictions of the client AND they only go up to GoD reasonably for content. I honestly think this game could have new life given to it if they applied that business model. It would certainly end all these discussions as people could just make their own servers the way they want it.
  5. code-zero Augur

I could see a server that requires 2 factor authentication solving most of the issues with massive crews. Too much emphasis is placed on allegations of this or that software when in fact several of the big crews are real human beings working in sweatshop gaming companies. Of course they'll be up 24/7/365 because they work in shifts and hot swap players.

Removing all the QOL stuff will result in an environment that is basically unplayable for most people and not much fun for a most of the rest. Corpse runs were always horrible, being made immobile from being overweight was always horrible. Things like that cause people to quit in disgust and only come back years later after they forgot what happened to them. And of course they think they want that same experience...
  6. Xenich Elder

Not my game?

I played it in Alpha into release, grouped with Brad's toon on test many times and I was one some of the few who had a test character transferred to live servers, helped the devs in testing and design of the Velious pulling code. Don't assume you have a clue about me.

Yes, Sony sold out, yes I am aware EQ has become a haven for botters and PTW players as have most FTP games. Just because EQ turned a dime marketing off people who love to cheat doesn't change my point.

Also, the OP wasn't asking for all of EQ to be changed. He was asking for a special server with all of those cheats removed and was willing to pay more to have it. Apparently, the narcissists can't stand that, as the idea of having a server where they won't be able to cheat infuriates them.

The TLPs are pretty much the closest thing people can get to a game these days. Most games today are filled with cheaters, bots, and idiot proof features. Is it really too much to ask for something like this? Don't tell me it would take up their resources, I wasn't born yesterday, have ran my own EQ server and so I know the costs in hosting and configuring are nowhere near what some would claim.

There should be really no objections here.
  7. Xenich Elder

Again, don't presume to speak for everyone, in fact there are a lot of people I know who wouldn't mind release EQ as it was. Why do you think many flocked to P1999? Heck, even I did until I realized they still didn't abide by many older principals and are still more of a modern take on EQ.

I loved all those things you disliked. They brought about the true meaning of "risk vs reward". The overweight feature didn't allow for hording (you had to think about what you kept) and made bag space a premium.

Naked corpse runs meant you had to be cautious. No running through zones ignorant of where you were. No training mobs without a solid idea of where you were going, no taking massive risks and then shrugging off the failure. It made people think about where they would adventure, who they would do it with, etc... You often found fewer people in dangerous zones because they were "afraid" of the consequence, which meant people like myself, who took risks, gained more in our experience and adventure.

At the end of the day, what does it matter? The beauty of this is that since there are other servers, people can choose not to play on a server like this, everyone can be happy. Thing is, every time I see this argument brought up, people argue diligently to discourage such. Why? It makes no sense, unless... the fear is that people who truly want game play will go there, and those who want easy, hand holding, cheats, etc... won't be able to have that, but will be drawn to play on it because others are?

If not... why would anyone care? I know I could care less if someone made a full on "GM cheat mode" server, etc... Why would I? I don't want to play on it, so it would mean little to me, why do people care here?
    Duder likes this.
  8. Xenich Elder

This is a discussion board Dreamweaver. As long as the discussion is relevant to the thread (and within the constraint of the forum rules), why do you care? Why would you shut it down? What purpose does it serve to shut it down? Is there some forum policy where a certain number of people have to respond to make it a proper discussion?
  9. Machen New Member

Is unique name the only restriction? Joe Smith would be pretty screwed. On the other hand, unique name + address would be fairly easy to get around for most people for 2-3 boxes (people who buy extra computers to box in EQ probably won't bat an eye at adding a post office box or 3). But doing 7+ that way would be challenging.

Not criticizing the idea, this is one I think is worth considering, just need to work the kinks out.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No.

It never was.

It never will be so long as you hold to this extreme ideology..

I sincerely hope that you can find joy in this game even while saddled with such an ideology but also hope that NONE, not even one, of your wishes ever come true for this game.

I am done, debating with an entrenched dogmatic extremist like you is simply unproductive.
  11. Moege Augur

And how will you stop prepaid cards where you can register any name to it ?
  12. Zinth Augur

lets see...

3. Either you remove pok completely and all the zones attached to it, it always had multiple portals, so who get the one and only portal? should it be placed at the end of Veeshan's Peak then? Or deep inside Plane of Mischief where the entrance to that is inside Temple of Veeshan (North)?

4. Luclin had multiple spires to port from, so changing that to one is ridiculous, players had one spell that worked to Luclin and that was to the Nexus and cost double the mana of all other port spells (not sure if they ever changed that) but I guess you didn't play back then, else you would know such trivia. All other Luclin ports were intra Luclin only, which means you needed to be on Luclin to be able to use them, so first port to Nexus and from there port to your real destination on Luclin.

8. Runspeed hasn't changed, AA's have changed that.

9. Yes remove the potions but bring back the old ones, including the instant heal potions and the old DS potions so we can see monks solo Nagafen again as they did back in the day.

10. So you want people to sell loot rights like they have done for a while? "Nature finds a way" they said in a certain movie... In EQ players find a way. Droppable loot was a huge part of EverQuest, which brought like to EQ Tunnel (bring back the old tunnel please) and Fay Mart, Sorry Odus, you were as dead back then as you are today, we do not like you.

11. People boxed back then too, you could multibox on a 300MHz machine, EQ didn't take much back then. It's just the nobox fanbois that can't get groups that are so against it, but trust me, people won't group with you anyways... Back then you found friends and weeded away those people, trying to force people to group with you won't help... Some of the nicest people I met back then were actually boxers (not talking chinese mage armies here) I can tell you I had 3 accounts back when Velious came out and I bought 3 Velious boxes and my roommate had 2... We just had more playtime than most of our friends, so when friends weren't online, out came the boxes, when friends logged in, they replaced the boxes in group and those same friends enjoyed the ports, buffs and what not from said boxes ;-) I had a "box" sitting in EQ Tunnel T2 when friends were online, that was how I unloaded all the crap I looted. There were no easy Bazaar (btw. the old bazaar still wins over the new one) so with all your "rules" then there should be NO bazaar... not even "always online mode" people should manually sit there and sell their goods, haggle prices and so on
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Typucm Elder

This is good option, about anti-cheat and boxing, but all others things like corpse runs and others restrictions is something noone want anymore. I remember corpse runs, it was not fun.

Heh i remember Jboots camp in Najena with loong line :)

Anyway all of this changes require too much of coding, if them start do something from this thread to new coming servers we will play on new TLP in a year?
    I prefer them launch new TLPs as soon as possbile.
  14. Xenich Elder

Actually, this game was not yours, it was changed to be yours over time. That is, the Yantis PTW item and plat sellers promoted their services, people like you bought them, encouraged them and cheating ran rampant until SoE gave up trying to fight it (they fought it initially, devs wrote long posts on how it hurt the game).

Your ideology hijacked the game, turned it into a marketing gimmick.

You haven't debated, at every point I have shown your argument to be invalid, you merely dismissed, evaded, false summarized, and promoted fallacies to continue your narrative.

It is probably best you move on so as not to continue your invalid argument.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is so much wrong with your argument, but you stepped over the line by levelling an unsubstantiated accusation.

I have never cheated, I have never bought plat from a plat sales website of any kind, I have always played by the rules & simply will not tolerate being attacked by this false accusation, you are bang out of order.
  16. Xenich Elder

PoK destroyed travel, invalidated class ports, and made the game shrink in size due to the fast ports. A single port in changes this. Keep in mind, GoD is pretty much PoP with a single entry point. It is still a linear progressed zone, keyed in stages. PoP doesn't need fast travel to everywhere, it was put in by Smed to mainstream the game.

Ports by classes isn't the issue. Luclin did have what we would call "boat rides" from multiple areas where you had to wait 15 mins to be ported up. My issue with this was that is drastically reduced travel times for anyone, regardless of class or ability and allowed these people to pop up, and down to areas which would normally take a lot of time. That is, Luclin began to shrink the world.

Actually, runspeed has changed from the default. I have ran an EQ server, played since Alpha, a default run speed modifier has been adjusted in the game.Personally though, I am not a big fan of linear progression in skills like these as you run out of means to continue development (ie you can only go so fast before there are diminishing returns).

If I had developed EQ over the years, I would implemented zone progression AA/skills/Etc... that is, such progressions that are only useful in the zones you earn them. The benefit of such implementations is that new zones produce new progressions.

No thanks. Originally potions (and some powerful spells) were gated by money (things were massively expensive and making plat by simply playing the game took hours upon hours to gain small amounts). Plat selling, 24/7 bot farming, dupes, etc... made buying potions and the like cheap, easy, and common which invalidated the design nature of those items.

Personally, I would remove them entirely, EQ was modeled after a MUD and using AD&D design concepts. In AD&D, potions were massively expensive to keep them rare and only in very situational uses. Due to the reasons above, this implementation failed and so I see it as more problematic than beneficial to game play.

Certainly this is an issue that I struggle with. In many ways I like the free open design of EQs original release, being able to trade freely. Being an early Test server player, this concept worked fine, people traded items from time to time, but the bulk of play was going out and getting things yourself.

Personally, I am not a fan of all the gating, conditions, loot locking, level locking, etc... but I think there could be a way to implement no drop, and implement a means to reduce what you describe. For instance, you could implement timers or loot conditions, or even kill conditions that would still serve the player who earned the item, but reduce the abuse of the problems you mention.Lastly in these issues, players can easily control this.

Lastly, I hated the EQ tunnel, it was a change away from the design of EQ. Brad never intended EQ to trade as it did. It is why there were so many problems with mass trade in EQ when it became popular. We discouraged it on Test and so we didn't have the EC tunnels. The plat sells, dupers, item sellers like Yantis quickly forced EQs inflation and drastically harmed the game. This was discussed at length by Verant devs at the time as to all the damage player trade/plat selling, was having on the game.

You don't know me, so don't make assumptions. Also, your 300mz machine, I would be impressed. Intel Pentium IIs at 300mz was nearing 2k at the time of release (around 97) and in order to run EQ, you needed a powerful video card and a good amount of ram. There were boxers though, I knew some personally (though I had the equipment, I always thought it to be counterproductive as most boxers were horrible at managing multiple toons in this manner). Some did well with it, in fact on Stormhammer, one guy had a complete self boxed guild that he ran to which he sold loot rights to Sleepers Tomb which he locked down by himself indefinitely, good times, boxing was awesome! /sarc)

As for the people being good or not? It is irrelevant to the argument, that is emotional grandstanding. I am sure some people did well with boxes, some did not. Trying to argue the human factor as to why something that is easily abused is not abused because people are "good" is a naive and suspicious argument.

Look, you and I have different expectations, desires, and play styles. Nothing wrong with that. While I don't think that your style of play is good for gaming and a lot of it is in essence cheating game play, I respect that this is what you enjoy and I can make the decision not to play on servers that cater to your play style. Why is it that you have a problem with people like me who would like a server catered to my (or as some others have discussed) play style? Don't you think it a bit... odd... that you care so much about a server that you can completely ignore and has no effect on you? Why the narcissism?
  17. Xenich Elder

Oh please, "me thinks he dost protest too much".

I said "people like you" as well, which implies "people who see nothing wrong with buying game play with real money", which you argued for.

You spent pages arguing how Krono trade is part of the rules, that selling Krono in game to buy plat is part of the rules.

If you have done that, yes, you have bought plat and therefore cheated the required game play to earn those things within the game. You are just arguing semantics.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

19. Zinth Augur

My playstyle is cheating "game play" because I can play "alone" when my friends don't have time because they are at work? So I am to be unable to play because you "deem so right" without considering that I am on disability so you want be me to do nothing until my friends come home from work? I have played since 1999 (yes 1999 so I don't care what you think prices were on machines in '97 because we all know how power skyrocketed and prices plumeted on computer gear back then and EQ never required "massive" anything hardware wise

You have plenty of servers "catering to your playstyle" but those like me have NO servers... there is not a SINGLE servers without the truebox BS that has old raids in instances and freetrade and end come to all I probably played more hours and spend more money on EQ than you ever will ;-) So who has the most "right" to our game? hmm?
  20. Zinth Augur

21. Zinth Augur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.