Tuning of Commander Alast Degmar in normal zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Weake Aggro, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Weake Aggro Lorekeeper

My group geared 125k tank was unable to stay alive with two merc clerics on reactive and 1 live one doing group heals for the cure.

/G Tanking summary for: Weake --- Total Melee --- Damage: 4164322 --- Avg hit: 12070 --- Attempts: 500 --- Riposted: 15/500 [3%] --- Parried: 32/485 [6.6%] --- Dodged: 12/453 [2.65%] --- Blocked: 27/441 [6.12%] --- Defended: 86/500 [17.2%] --- Missed: 63/414 [15.22%] --- Hits: 351/500 [70.2%] --- Absorbed: 6/351 [1.71%] --- Real Hits: 345/500 [69%]

This mobs hit pattern looks like this
    Commander Alast Degmar slashes you for 11088
    Commander Alast Degmar slashes you for 22844
    Commander Alast Degmar punches you for 8375
    Commander Alast Degmar punches you for 11088
    PLUS you get the bonus dots!
    You have taken 18001 damage from Degmar's Wrath
    You have taken 15001 Damage from Repentance
    And if you not smart like me....you get the damage shield as a bonus

Now if i did my math right that's a total of 86397 dmg per round which in my opinion is way to much damage for a mob in a group zone.

Could someone take a look at the tuning of this mob.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Turn off attack when you have Repentance on you, it's a reverse dmg shield. Or tank with a non-dmg weapon. And your "real" healer should cast Remove Greater Curse on you when you have Degmar's Wrath because it's quicker than Group Heal/Cure spells.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Coronae New Member

Real cleric can also pop Ward of Purity too to help with cures. Also toss a reverse DS on named. I was able to do Degmar/Thuli named at 101 in latent gear on a warrior & real cleric. Instead of 2 clr mercs switch to 2 wiz ones on burn and then multibind heals on the real cleric. Prolly 2 remedies, mystical intervention, then word of greater reformation should do it. Make sure to keep Celestial Regen or Focused CR and Shining Bulwark on the grp/war. Also Olsif's Retort procs a heal. If still having trouble, double cast your Issuance of Spirit before the fight.
  4. sifonin Augur

Or molo him as a necro!

/duckbehinddesk for incoming projectiles lol
    Silv and Sancus like this.
  5. Momentum Elder

I've killed this guy 3 boxing bard, enchanter and magician with the enchanter mostly tanking - entirely in group cultural armour and T1 TDS stuff. I don't think he's too strong.
  6. Rakknar Elder

You should ask for specific tips on how to defeat this mob instead of asking for the mob to be changed.

He is far from unbeatable by group geared people and has been defeated by many.

He is not the toughest named in tds.

One thing I noticed is you gave us your hit points and not your ac. The average hit you took seems high, which suggests low ac to me. The rest of what you did or didn't do right is only speculation. However, with a real cleric in group do not use mercs unless cleric is boxed. More dps makes tanking easier. Commander shouldn't last more than a minute or two max.
  7. sifonin Augur

In all seriousness, I do not think you should re roll as a necro or mage. Class choice and the difference in the classes is still one lf the parts of eq that I think makes it a great game. Mobs can and will be defeated by different classes with varying abilities. For my usual set up (necro, wizard friend and two cleric mercy), we mostly ignore the ae's he casts, but as you are playing melee classes it is important to know what cycle he casts these spells in so you can make it a priority to cure. Others have made great suggestions in making sure your toons have high ac, aas, Etc when trying to tank him. It's just a simple fact that casters are better off in current eq, so you will have to work harder to kill the same critters. Just my thoughts.
  8. Reht The Dude abides...

Also have had more luck with 2 cleric mercs using different stances, i.e. 1 reactive and 1 balanced, then using 2 on reactive, it keeps them from casting the same spell at the same time which reduces the gaps in healing somewhat.
    sifonin and Weake Aggro like this.
  9. Axxius Augur

A number of TDS named use reverse damage shields. You just need to pay attention and don't suicide on them. Tuning has nothing to do with it.
    roguerunner and Weake Aggro like this.
  10. Weake Aggro Lorekeeper

Thanks for the great tips all!

I used the word "tuning" because I assume when content is created, it still is created for the holy trinity.
    (Tank, Healer, Slower)

My group make up was missing the slower which might have made the difference.
    Either way there has been great ideas posted here, thank you all
  11. Tour Augur

Eradicate curse will remove more counters and be faster than your other single target curse cures, though still not enough to remove 65 counters by itself, but still faster. Group heals, which if you need are fine, but remove even less counters and will take even more casts from a curing perspective. Ward of purity won't do anything, since it is disease and poison, not curse.Your AA cures will be useful here, as will renewal heals, which you should be chaining together already with other high output fast casting heals. The big thing though is just paying attention and not brute force attacking your way through a damage shield. Preventing damage >>> healing damage.

Group corruption cure will remove the generic TDS named corruption debuff / dot.

And of course all the other crossing your T's and dotting your I's before engage: proper buffs, auras, dmg mitigation SB / ward of ____, DG, etc effects, DI, HoT's running, proper spell set and cures loaded, discs fresh (and actually used during fight), safe to pull without adds, and such.

The tuning for these names are fine; just watch what you're doing.Good luck.
  12. Weake Aggro Lorekeeper

Someone had asked the ac of the tank. 11404 was his AC at the time
  13. Sancus Augur

I think you'd be much better suited with Tank, Healer, and DPS. Obviously sufficient tanking/healing to stay alive are important, and debuffs like slow can contribute to staying alive. However, due to short duration long refresh discs and sheer chance, fight time has a monumental impact on success. Killing the named in 60s greatly reduces the chance of death from a string of bad occurrences, and it should allow you to tank for the full duration with your strongest discs. It also requires less of the "Oh " abilities, which you will likely run out of as fight time increases. As fight time increases and discs wear off, the chance of death increases significantly.

I find the importance of DPS is very often overlooked.
    Spellfire, sifonin and Iila like this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I bolded your problem.

This is a social game, a single real $HEALER would have laughed at the healing required to kill the mob.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Actually, you said you had a live cleric too? I missed that first comment.

So your group was a tank, 3 healers, and I assume 2 dps. Note none of the healers can slow either, so an unslowed mob (unless you do have a slower, that means a chanter or shammy - so now we're down to 1 dps) - not looking pretty - the mob should die sometime next week.

Your single live cleric should have been able to heal, and you add dps to make the mob die.
    sifonin, Sancus and Iila like this.
  16. Iila Augur

TRIPLE HEALERS.

No problem living while your discs are going, but the mob is still alive once all those discs are used up, and it finally gets to kill your 0dps group.

A high DPS group only needs to keep the tank alive for the ~60-90s of their good discs, then the mob is dead, and doesn't get to kill the tank before they fall back to the worse discs or no disc.
  17. anvil Elder

rant on

not sure what is so wrong with having triple healers... I HAVE NOT FOUGHT THIS NAMED... so i am not sure how well my group will do... but i play sk..chanter and mage and my wife plays cleric..druid and shaman. and we have no trouble killing mobs in TDS. yes i know there are some groups with higher dps but our group does not do 0dps with 3 healers

just saying

usually the shaman helps with dps but can help with a chain heal rotation when needed

and yes i know this is not the same as 2 cleirc mercs and a cleric... but i saw the triple healers said like it was a bad thing...

sorry rant off
  18. sifonin Augur

Rant on: Sanctus and Lila are NOT arguing that it can't be done with three healers. Those two and myself however do agree that when you can melt mobs in 60-90s there is much less of a chance of the rng getting the group killed period. Faster and heavier damage replace the need to have half your group be support or healing.
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Tour Augur

Names (especially) and raids are typically a "best defense is a strong offense" kind of approach. With the obvious caveat that you can't have so little non-dps (tanking, healing, support) that you are not viable and that dps isn't over-spawning adds or causing imbalance issues in a balance event. Whatever names or events can do matter far less when everything just gets obliterated. The longer the event / named drags out, the more likely probability catches up with you and you take a string of bad hits / AoE's / adds, and you spend a greater proportion of your time fighting without your best abilities active.
    Spellfire, Sancus and Iila like this.
  20. Repthor Augur

the deal with not haveing tripple healer and more favor for more dps is simple all tanks have ability that basicly make dmg unable to kill them of any active healing is present. its not untill the discs fall off that the tank in genral and properly geared is in danger. so wasteing healing on a tank that dosent need it creates a wasted slot or 2 untill the discs fades. adding more dps ensures that the tank never end up in the situation that his not under disc so there for the dps is better then healing
    Leex likes this.