Tuco's Setup (Critique Welcome!)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, May 6, 2017.

1. Brohg Augur

My record for Citadel of Anguish is 23 minutes, last year, solo. 8 of those minutes were waiting on Hanvar script.
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  2. slayerofbats Augur

Do you find you need your cleric and a healer merc? I box too and was hoping to replace my healer with a healer merc so I don't have to do it :D But if the healer merc is unreliable I might not bother.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Right now I'm doing RoS with:
    Warrior + cleric + shaman + bard + mage + non-boxed necro.

I'm finding that at 107 my group geared warrior pretty much needs a solid cleric + shaman backup to sloppily pull groups of mobs in Overthere / Skyfire. I imagine that if I was more careful about my pulls, or leveled in EoK to 110 + some AAs I could do much better. Or if I had two cleric mercs, since they usually stack cleanly.

Said differently, yeah you could probably just use a healer merc, but the difficulty of encounters you can beat will drop dramatically.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Hey Tucoh, didn't see if you spam swarm pets from all possible sources, + Of Many. If not, I would suggest it, a maxed out Of Many is a really good nuke, and in the right context should be at the top of your mages spam button :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Yeah I haven't quite worked out how to use of many properly. I can't easily switch to using of many before chaotic + spears when Host of the Elements or my bard's swarm pets are up.

Plus I haven't worked out how to keep my bard's swarm pets under control when I'm pulling, so I've just stopped using them :\
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

We pull with mage long range nukes if the camp allows it, dealing with potential multiple mobs in camp, either tanking or CCing. Main mob has all pets on it, just spamming all possoble swarm pets. Shaman also provides a huge number, not entirely sure how. Thus it is the main dps mode for the mage, will only shift mode if group composition is different, I have a different spellset for those cases. Or shaman will pull. Basically when fast killing, pulling is free for all, but you have to be able to handle what you pull :).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

To my knowledge the only swarm pets shaman get is from a buff called Pack of Mirtuk, which spawn 3 dog swarm pets 20% of the time they cast a detrimental spell.

I've thought about farming up these:
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Swarm_pet_items

And working out some kind of rotation / coordination to maximize how often I can pump Volley of Many. But even with everything working properly, Volley of Many can only be casted every 9 seconds or so, so it really doesn't represent that much of my group's DPS even if I'm criting the sum-******* with the highest damage.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Let me get back to you, my buddy plays a shaman, and somehow he creates a lot of pets.

And good list of clickies.
  9. Hungersnot New Member

Shaman get a swarm pet aa.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Yep, Spirit Call.

http://www.raidloot.com/AA.aspx?name=spirit call

1: Summon Pet: SumDireWolf40 x 5 for 60s

Every 10 minutes.

I want to try out the two new spells, Ri`zyr's Rain of Venom and Ri`zyr's Breath, when I level up a few more times. I'm not sure what I expect from them DPS wise, but if I have them in my multibind and am spamming them I'll be procing pack of Mirtuk much more frequently.

Right now my shaman is in more of a support character, pumping out AE heals, hitting mobs with slow etc, and then DoTing when he's able. I figure as my characters level up and get gear I won't need him to back up my boxed cleric as much.
  11. Jetslam Augur

With the pet proc buff on, you can certainly get a decent amount of summoned pets spawned from the sham. The problem for you becomes how to effectively get them spawned. You can use the fast dots, but they've got no recast so you couldn't just use a multibind in the spell window. You'd have to set up a hotkey to cast a few different dots with a /pause between.

The fast dots don't use much mana, but if you start adding a regular dot or two to the lineup, you won't be able to keep up with Canni as they are pretty mana intensive.
  12. Tucoh Augur

I'll have to try to use the fast DoTs more. Right now I've been using the heavy DoTs whenever I'm in a comfortable encounter with multiple mobs. I'll cast my DoT chain on the mob I kill last, and by the time I get to him he's already pretty damaged.

I have to put Rirwech's Affliction (25k mana!) on layaway to cast it.
  13. Jetslam Augur

In your setup being so complex, I'd honestly stick to just the two combination dots from last expansion. That'll give you 4 casts and they'll still do quite a bit of damage. The affliction dot is really only useful for raids. It's got such a high mana cost and low tick damage.

If you want to use new ones, I'd stick with nectar/curse/blood/magic(garugaru upgrade) The disease are pretty bleh and only worth casting as last expansion's combination dot which will still do decent damage.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. jhaimes Journeyman

Hey Tucoh, I may have missed it but what happened to the Zerker? I see you switched him out for a necro? Why and how is it working for you?
  15. p2aa Augur

The zerker was not doing the DPS he should do if it was a main zerker playing.
    His parse showing his zerker at 183 k and his warrior at 158 k, is not what you see between a warrior and a zerker main. A zerker DPS simply destroys warrior DPS (as it should be), and there isn't only 25 k DPS difference.
    That's fine, he is boxing and focused mostly on his warrior, so cannot full potential DPS on his zerker too.
    A necro is less button smashing than a melee class to reach top DPS. Prolly why he swapped.
  16. Sancus Augur

Think y'all missed the "non-boxed" part.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Like Sancus says, the necro is my non-boxed father playing.

As for why I chose what I did (war/brd/sha/mag/cle) for initial RoS progression, right now I have six accounts with the following characters:
    1: Warrior
    2: Bard
    3: Berserker
    4: Shaman
    5: Mage/Beastlord
    6: Cleric/Ranger

The mage makes progression easier with CotH, so I chose it over the BST (or playing the berserker) for now. The BST brings a lot more to the table for a melee group and I'll probably switch over at some point. The mage is also better for the many anti-melee fights in RoS. The ranger is more of a novelty character I bring in when the content is too easy to be interesting with the immense healing a sha/cle team put out, so I go full glass cannon. I did this in heroic seb and blew up huge parts of the zone with it.

p2aa is right though, the berserker consistently comes in at around 180k DPS sustained with good ADPS which frankly is a little embarrassing. I'm hoping to bring him up quite a bit this year much closer to what a non-boxed berserker puts out, but it's a struggle. The better a group's DPS is, the more quickly they go through mobs. The more quickly they go through mobs, the more time in proportion they spend pulling, containing and positioning mobs. With a melee group, positioning mobs is critical. When you kill a mob every 10-15 seconds, you spend so much time pulling, containing and positioning that it's really challenging to run a proper DPS cycle on multiple characters.

One idea I've had to improve is to set aside drop the box group, and just join random groups as a solo berserker until I start to feel really comfortable in a vacuum with him.
  18. jhaimes Journeyman

Tucoh, I really enjoy reading this thread and everyone’s input. With what you know now would swapping out the zerker for a monk be better since you can’t utilize the zerker to his fullest? Also, same question with mage/beastlord. Thanks again. Reading on here is really helping me figure things out again.
  19. Tucoh Augur

Glad it's helping.

I haven't seen what monks can do in RoS, but I heard they got some love. I expect that I'll have the same DPS rotation issues with monks vs berserkers, so at this point I'm not looking to swap out the berserker. For me my issues are an interesting challenge to be solved, and even if I'm only kicking out a modest 200k DPS with the berserker, I expect it's higher than what I would with a similar geared/configured monk.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Tucoh, which fights are your dps numbers from?