Tuco's Setup (Critique Welcome!)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, May 6, 2017.

1. Zunnoab Augur

The fire aura bestows a buff that allows one proc of an absolutely massive amount of damage vs. the golems, including Grolik himself. It can crit too. While I've never done the mission this way, it's a key mechanic on the raid version to quickly mop up the golem adds. Perhaps with a big enough proc, group Grolik dies in one hit.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

It requires none of that. You grab the Echo of Flame, which gives you a Fiery Touch buff (1 charge). It ONLY works if Grolik has not submerged yet, so only his initial spawn.

Smack him with fiery touch. I recommend taking off the weapon so that you dont accidentally push him phases.
  3. Tucoh Augur

[52617] Fiery Touch
    Restriction: Cannot Remove
    Target: Single
    Range: 1000'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: No
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 5m (50 ticks) Song, Dispelable: No
    Max Hits: 1 Offensive Proc Casts
    21: Add Melee Proc: Expenditure of Fire with 1000% Rate Mod
    Allows target to proc Expenditure of Fire.

[52618] Expenditure of Fire
    Restriction: Cannot Remove
    Target: Single (If Constructs)
    Range: 1000'
    Resist: Unresistable
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    21: Decrease Current HP by 90000000
    Causes 90000000 damage.

[IMG]

Will give that a shot next time!
    Shindius and Wyndar like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

You were right about The Crusaders, once you have enough HP to mitigate the AEs it's not so bad. Probably the two big things I changed up to beat it are to move my shaman out of melee range from the dragons (I think this avoids the rampage??) and to drop an empowered campfire between the two last dragons. Otherwise it was just a matter of gearing up and situating my paladin properly.

I have no idea how I'm going to box Maximum Echo. https://achievements.eqresource.com/achievements.php?id=2805112

Even though I generally win, every Aary fight is a circus.
    Shindius likes this.
  5. aozs Elder

Crusaders - yep, moving out of melee avoids the wild rampage. Caster groups don't really have to worry about it.

The damage is generally healable though, I was able to get through it with ToV gear on my main team. The thing to watch out for is the DoT - wild rampage alone won't kill, and the DoT alone won't kill, but both together can create some very nasty spikes. I generally heal reactively (my shaman isn't spamming anything normally), so for the heavy damage parts I'll keep Spiritual Squall going with Recourse/Intervention ready in case of a spike. I also load up Wave on the pally and have the 2 pally AA group heals, along with composite, for reacting to spikes. Group Armor of the Inquisitor is a big help too.

The other thing is, if you're burning, the dragons will die before casting the DoT, so unless your DPS is low you'll probably only need to deal with 1 or 2 DoT/rampage periods. The first dragon usually isn't threatening, so you can save burns for 2 of the last 3.

For maximum echo - I have a writeup here if you're looking for some box strats:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/maximum-echo.272464/page-3

If you're running war/brd/shm/ber/bst/pal - that's really similar to what I had, and it's actually an extremely good comp for maximum echo. Warrior tanks are the best since they don't need to worry about the mana drain on the breath and aren't depending on taps/melee leech to heal. Bard-amped shaman, pally, and beastlord heals are great since you can have 3 healers with staggered heal cast timings to keep the tank up. You also have plenty of reactive burst healing tools with the pally/shaman to get through the Curse/Roar DoT spikes, which are the hardest part of the ach.

I found maximum echo to be a lot easier than expected - I was preparing myself for a 10+ hour grind but it ended up being quite straightforward.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Merry Christmas!

I really enjoyed Oubliette of Light. Lots of good mechanics throughout. Before I took this vid I beat the first phase with fighting the mob on the tribune. I stashed the shaman in one of the side rooms and then had everyone else follow the bard to LOS Umber's clap ability. Then just ran between the side / front to avoid the lamps. Doing it the way in the video where you just stand in the rooms is a lot easier and faster of course, but I kind of hope they nerf it by increasing the leash range when they fix the # of targets for fadeout and clap. The leash effect happened in this vid when I botched the positioning, so it's clearly implemented, just not large enough to prevent players from avoiding the lamps.

The end phase is my least favorite part of the fight. I don't really know what the mechanics of it are except that yellow aura is bad. Teleports are super annoying for me because they pick at a problematic part of how I play the game using /follow. Anytime my warrior teleports everyone runs around and risks falling off. Actually, I don't know if you can fall off and don't know what happens but it's probably bad.

The difficulty feels about right presuming the intent is that these missions are beaten without getting to 120 and equipping any new gear. The XP granted from the achievements is massive, so I think that's the plan.
    Shindius and IblisTheMage like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Merry Christmas, Tucoh!

Thanks for posting this. As a fellow boxer I, too, use /fol. Oftentimes strafing my way through zones due to the sheer absurdity of /follow's utility where it appears to use predictive motion if using the forward/backward keys on the driver. I don't remember when, but a Dev commented that there is ZERO difference to the /follow command if you are strafing or moving forward or backwards. I call BS! :p

It looks like this mission was tailor-made to pick at boxers who leverage /fol in a bid to help them manage their box crews' movement. The shadowstep throws me just far enough to throw my boxes into a tizzy. You managed through this with little difficulty - or you made it look that easy. ;)
    Tucoh likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Yeah strafing is life when you're using /fol. The other big thing I do is set my framerate to 80fps on my boxes in inner space boxer, which helps them stick better.

On this run I broke follow in the last phase and just manually positioned them every shadowstep (ugh). I think the next one I won't until I see them run off and see what the consequences are.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Fantastic setup you have :)
    Shindius likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Manually positioning isn't too terrible. Just makes the fight that much longer when my Berserker and Monk stare into the wild blue yonder contemplating their lives.
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Thanks for the update Tucoh. How soon before you go back to EQ hibernation?

Side note, these two part expansions really need to include some sort of end group achievement. Thinking back though, it’s always been raid or nothing. There’s no pay off in the group game, when you complete all the progression before max level or equipping gear.

I actually stopped at 118 on my crew, there wasn’t any reason to continue to level after getting the progression done. I’m really thinking it’s best to just buy the Part 2 on sale for these modern expansions. At least that’s a couple months of content.
  12. Tucoh Augur

My subs are up in a month or two, by then I should be done with hunter. I'll come back as f2p to do the anniversary events, I missed the phoenix feather this year.

I doubled up on CoV / ToL. It's less expensive but it reduces how much fun the first expansion is knowing that all the gear you're getting will be replaced within a few weeks of getting it.

I agree that EQ would benefit from post-game content for groupers. Beating all the missions and being able to beat all the named before hitting 120 and being able to equip all the gear is dispiriting, but whatever, I enjoy the game and improving even without a "carrot" to motivate me.
    Shindius likes this.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I would call it more of a culmination, as I just never feel I hit that payoff point for my time investment in my characters.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. Duckforceone Elder

So i have been trying your target window Tucoh, and it doesn't seem to want to show red when target is taking damage.. is that on purpose or is it because it can't do that?

(i notice it looks the same in your screenshot)
  15. Tucoh Augur

It's on purpose. I wanted to use the color red to grab my attention, so the target window doesn't have it. Most of the ETW doesn't have it either, but some of the do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  16. Tucoh Augur

code-zero, Hobitses and Metanis like this.