Tuco's Setup (Critique Welcome!)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, May 6, 2017.

1. Petalonyx Augur

Ima suggest BOTH an SK (mt) and Paladin (support heals, backup tank, battle rez, and fair dps in ToV).

Plus, that sounds like a super fun project :)
  2. Tucoh Augur

You'd do great adding any of the tanks:

SK: Been the most powerful grouping class in EQ for years and will probably remain that way
    Pal: Would be able to help heal with the shaman against tough AE mobs and ToV is like 90% undead so they're putting out some serious damage
    War: With bst/ber/brd/sha ADPS the warrior's damage in dual wield will be massive. Most of the warrior's DPS comes from auto-attack, which is helped much more by ADPS than other melee. You can see from the above parse I'm putting out 300k DPS with ber/brd/sha ADPS, if my beastlord was with me it'd be closer to 400k.

If you wanted to round out the group after adding a tank you can go in a lot of directions. Personally I'd add a mage just to round out your damage with some spell damage and to add the ability to coth.
    You'd also do well to add a cleric to increase the survivability of your group. Personally I like having a sha/cle heal at the start of an expansion to just bulldoze the content and then replace the cleric with a DPS class to make it harder and more fun.

A berserker or rogue would do well too. I wouldn't add an enchanter because you don't need or want the CC and their buffs wouldn't help you much.

Like Petalonyx says if you added an sk/war as your plate tank, you could round the group out with a paladin that you can use for DPS or for healing. If I ever got tired of swapping between my cleric and a DPS on that account, a paladin would make a good balance between the cleric and berserker. This is especially true in ToV with so many undead.
  3. aozs Elder

400k seems pretty ambitious for that fight duration, is there some benchmark you're basing this on? From my experience, 270k sounds about right for a 500+ second fight with one cycle of major CDs. I could see 400k+ if it was a 200s fight or thereabouts.

Not that I'm a berserker expert, but getting 50% more DPS from your existing setup doesn't seem realistic.

Exactly what I did, swapped cleric for paladin in my setup (war/pal/brd/shm/zerk/rog), and I'm really happy with it. I haven't done ToV yet, but the pal+shm combo was easily able to handle TBL's healing demands, having a second tank made certain things much easier, and the paladin does around 50-60% the DPS of an actual DPS (compared to cleric's 10%). Also, Group Armor of the Inquisitor is nuts.

I'm definitely a fan of using a paladin in a hybrid healer/DPS/offtank role
  4. Chorus Augur

Exactly this. I used to try being a min/max type of player, but all it did was remove my desire to even login for YEARS. I missed a lot of content from around gates/omens era all the way to the tail end of VoA as a result.

want a challenge? Play a group you're not used to, but don't min/max it. Just play it. I started doing that and while I still breeze through a lot of things that give other people problems, I do enjoy that style a lot more and I play every winter/spring now instead of going afk for 4-5 years at a time.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This post should be repeated in every boxing thread, ever. This is so well-stated and on-point (for most players), but I would add : Want a bigger challenge? Host a PUG for one hour a week. Every week. And try to keep it going for a month.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. enclee Augur

Tucoh, what's your hardware setup look like?
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

8. Tucoh Augur

9. Lendarios New Member

Nice tuco!!
  10. enclee Augur

Setup looks good. My cpu was starting to show its age i5 4670k quad core, so I took the opportunity to just upgrade my whole setup. The AMD 7 2700X is like breezing through everything with my 6 box crew. It's incredible the difference.

Anyways, I'm about to head back down to TBL and attempt some progression there. Any advice you got from boxing those missions?
  11. Tucoh Augur

Sorry for the late reply :D If you're looking to gear up my advice is to get really good at the three plane of fire missions that can be done quickly and give T2 gear. For the other missions, CC is really powerful in TBL.

I hope you guys have are all enjoying your quarantine. This is what I've been playing lately as a bit of boxing crosstraining!

enclee and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. Tucoh Augur