Tuco's Setup (Critique Welcome!)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, May 6, 2017.

1. Daedly Augur

Have your ranger autofollow as a second tier, for lack of a better term. Which is to say, have everyone follow your tank, then have your ranger follow one of the characters that are following the tank. In most instances that should provide you enough room for the bow. Takes some getting used to, but it works for me.
  2. kenshon Journeyman

Ah ok I'll try that, thanks!

Something like this?

1. Put the group on auto-follow Warrior, except for the Ranger who follows as a "second-tier".

2. Run the Warrior up to a mob and engage to grab aggro. Hit AE aggro if necessary.

3. Turn the War around 180 degrees and back up just enough so that mob is between War and Ber.

3. At this point the War is on one side of mob facing the rest of the team. Hit Ber, Rng, Bard assist macros.

4. Go to town.
  3. Daedly Augur

Yeah. I admittedly haven't tried it while having to turn the mob like you mention as the ranger is part of my "range DPS" crew. But, it should work if you are careful. Wether or not it's worth the hassle to you, I am not sure lol
  4. kenshon Journeyman

Tried it today -- it was pretty messy. Even with chaining auto follows, ranger more often than not was too close.

Had enough trouble trying to keep my berserker a sufficient distance away.
  5. code-zero Augur

Tucoh is controlling his crew with ISB which keeps things from getting too messy IIRC
  6. Tucoh Augur

1. war/brd/ber/sha/cle/mag is what I use to take on whatever EQ wants to throw at me, but if my main was a ranger I would demand a beastlord in my group to pump my ranger with that sweet sweet
    [51683/37097] Focused Paragon of Spirit XXV
    10: Increase Current Mana by 1100 per tick
    11: Increase Current Mana by 625

[51670/3291] Paragon of Spirit XXXII
    10: Increase Current Mana by 2900 per tick

[57411/2713] Spiritual Empowerment Rk. II
    5: Increase Current Mana by 106 per tick

[58242/2752] Dissident Fury 4
    8: Increase Current Mana by 4012

This, combined with bards mana regen spells, turn your ranger into a super-hero by filling the huge mana-deficiency problem they have that is hard to offset with Gift of Mana procs while boxing. Even with that mana regen your ranger will go OOM (especially with SCF) but it really does help.

2. When boxing with a ranger, I find it better to ditch the moderately superior ranged bow DPS and settle for melee DPS. A big part of six-boxing is deciding what is possible to do DPS-wise while having enough focus to tank/heal/CC etc. I'll regularly go through periods of trying to tweak my setup to maximize a capability of a character only to throw it out immediately when I fight a tough mob / encounter. Not only is it too much effort (for me) to position my ranger, but because there is no /autofire on/off macro option it's non-trivial to keep autofire on.

3. Yes the shaman is responsible for healing with my berserker setup (and even heals with the cleric setup). My bard uses heal proc sticks and my berserker has the TBL challenger heal proc aug which help heal some. After I get geared in the next expansion I'll go back to TBL and get the two new zerkers the heal proc augs too. Replacing my cleric with a ranger drops my survivability from a 10 to a 5, and replacing my rng/bst (who have heal proc weapons that are improved by AAs / bard songs) with two zerkers drops it from a 5 to a 3. If I can get my two berserkers those augs, it'll bump up to a 4.

While I was farming Floatsam of the Darkened Sea last week (1 drop in 12 kills of the named, FML) an AE accidentally grabbed multiple floors of GMM. I ended up pulling 20 mobs at once and thanks to the cleric's massive healing was able to keep my warrior up (barely). I was especially happy with this because my subs had run out so I was rolling with non-prestige gear (except on my war).
  7. Tucoh Augur

Try:
    War
    Mob
    ber/brd (following war)
    sha (following ber)
    rng (following sha)

I think that should give you a long enough train for the rng to hit his autofire. But I think even with some effort it will still be less DPS than just having the rng melee.
  8. Dreadmore Augur

Tucoh, hope you'll understand if I might have missed this in the 367 posts before mine, but do you have a caster box team by any chance?

wondering if any secondary magician boxer has come up with a mindless mash multibind setup that doesn't require much attention and doesn't make any compromises due to various conflicts with priorities vs. bugs. mine just doesn't work out so well
  9. enclee Augur

Not Tucoh here, but I box 3 mages and this is the rotation I use to maximize Alliance and Synergy by just mashing one key and having it just cast through this order:

Mage 1: Twincast, Spear, Bolt, Volley, Servant, Alliance.
    Mage 2: Twincast, Alliance, Spear, Servant, Bolt, Volley
    Mage 3: Servant, Twincast, Spear, Bolt, Volley, Alliance
    Dreadmore likes this.
  10. Dreadmore Augur

thanks, enclee. that's a totally different approach from mine, not just because of the alliance (I have one magician only), but because I prioritize Chaotic for its effects, so I put: Chaotic, Servant, Spear, weaker Spear, Twincast, Gather.

I know I want Spear right after Servant for the bigger synergy boost than Chaotic can take advantage of, and some of the effects of Chaotic can boost Spear even more, so I have to put that before both Spear and Servant. problem is that having Chaotic first in line like that, its refreshment effect (1/20 chance) can cause the multibind to break and lock until Chaotic itself refreshes 5.25s later. I wonder if chaotic is just not worth it, or maybe I put it after the first Spear..

that and then having to manually summon a mod rod and firebound orb every now and then... o_O
  11. Tucoh Augur

My caster team (enc/cle/mag 4x) is currently level 76 :D

I might work on them later this year, but the more I played with them the more I realized that when you start stacking stupid high DPS the steady DPS that cast-time DPS from a mage starts to get out-paced by the front-loaded instant-cast abilities from berserkers and other melee. And unless the next expansion has lots of wurm/giant type mobs with high health that allow you to easily fulminate an alliance even if you don't nail the execution, the contribution from fulmination isn't worth it.

That being said, I'd be interested to see a video of how Enclee's setup works and how quickly mobs die, and I might get the itch to see just how strong it is after I finish my berserker group. The mage group actually got really boring after I started using the enchanter to its full potential to CC mobs, but I think trying to do instances with it would be really interesting.
  12. Whulfgar Augur

100% exactly the reason I went from War, Druid, chanter wiz , wiz, wiz .. to War, sham, zerk, zerk, zerk, zerk..

The dps of the berserker's with the sham simply out paces everything I've gone up against in grp content.
  13. Dreadmore Augur

I've got a group with two wizards and an enchanter that took out ROS T2 mobs in 15-25 seconds without burning. that said, I did see this dude lugging around three berserkers that took down mobs of the same level within 2-3 seconds. I didn't follow him around to see how sustainable this was though
  14. Tucoh Augur

2-3 seconds means they had a tightly timed alpha strike that was largely centered around their dissident rage ability they can use every 60s, but also included a handful of others abilities.

What's nice about stacking berserkers is you can pop all your abilities to blow up the first couple mobs in a group, then hit the third mob with alliance and have a decent shot at fulminating. Even with this approach I found it uncommon to proc alliance because even my exhausted berserkers would still kill a mob in 12s or so, not enough time to fulminate.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Running 3 zerkers I never fulminate their alliance.. And I leveled up a 4th just because I wanted to run tests with 3 zerkers shammy an bard verses 4 zerkers an shammy.
    Tucoh likes this.
  16. enclee Augur

The kill times feel kind of slow about 30-45 seconds a mob, but my crew isn't geared up yet. Both Whulfgar and you discussed the same issues I'm feeling with my caster crew, with feeling cast times are too long. Plus, it takes awhile to ramp up with number of pets for Volley. I might shake my team up a bit, and switch over to melee for a change. I never really experienced that perspective of the game.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I think it's worth seeing how far your mage group can go before trying the melee group, but it's up to you!

You should be getting better than 30s a mob in TBL / GMM by just having them all cast a basic multibind. I don't know what the ideal one is, but I use:

Reckless
    Chaotic
    Twincast
    110 Spear
    Volley

Or something along those lines. I find that volley's contribution with my boxed mage is more for procing Theft of Essence than the damage it does, because it's too much effort for me to keep tabs on when I have enough swarm pets for Volley to be worth casting instead of chaotic/spear. Volley is powerful and fast, but spear is also an incredible spell and Volley can only be casted every so often, so your total DPS on a mage isn't overwhelmingly strong with using volley perfectly vs only using it to proc theft of essence. However with three mages you might just want to have two keys for your multibind, one with the above chain sub volley, and a second one with volley before Chaotic.

How to integrate alliance into all of that is a good question. My plan for my mages is to have three separate keys and cycle them manually. It's what I do on my berserkers and works OK.

That's just advice from someone who boxes a mage though, you'd get better advice from real mages. there was a decent thread about it recently here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mage-spell-choice.257601/#post-3789015
  18. enclee Augur

Good points, my set-up is about 70% finished and I've been trying to switch around some spells. The spell line-up, you listed is one that I was using before and I go back to it to experiment. I took a break for a few months, and now I'm trying to look at what it is I was attempting to do, lol.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

I box sk with 4 mages. There certainly is some ramp up for the first couple of kills to get all of the swarm pets rolling but I average around 9-15 seconds per kill pretty consistently. That is in EOK and prior so not sure how that would stack up in ROS and TBL but my mages also mostly only have AAs through EOK I think they are all sitting around the 30-35k mark. I think the tradeoff is having pets in case the tank goes down. A melee crew will probably wipe. A mage crew can usually survive unless the numbers are just overwhelming.
  20. Aurastrider Augur

For alliance I set f1 f2 f3 and f4 assigned to each mage. 1 is my assist key with pet attack and a couple other things. I spam 1 and then rotate through my alliance keeping track of who is up next. Usually every 5th mob alliance is down on everyone but I make up for it with the ramp up in swarm pets.
    Tucoh likes this.