Truebox is increasingly unfair.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Yarteb Elder

Truebox is keeping people from playing 30 toon box armies. Even if some are cheating to play 6 toon boxes on one PC this is much better than the alternative..
  2. Ltldogg Augur

I'm glad the have implemented the Truebox rules on new servers and wish they would have done it a long time ago. I don't like seeing people box more than 1 character, let alone whole groups and more.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  3. Elskidor Augur

Merge Lockjaw and Ragefire and help their population a bit and that might look more appealing to non-truebox boxers. They really aren't that terribly deep into the expansions.
  4. Xanadas Augur

It's almost like they should have taken one of the two new servers and made it a fully boxable server. Ya know, the conclusion that should have been COMPLETELY FREAKING OBVIOUS for DBG.
  5. Thexian Journeyman

I agree, we should have stronger rules. One character online per mac address. Then it doesn't matter about software. Great point.
  6. Silinius Augur

Gonna go on a little rant so stay with me here but the TL;DR is:
    • RF/LJ were toxic because of no AoC/Pick Zones
    • DBG likes $$
    • It's all about business; not what you want.

Point 1: I keep seeing the same comments about Ragefire and Lockjaw being toxic because of boxing. Let's get one thing straight... it wasn't BECAUSE of boxing. Boxing was only a factor because there were no AoC's or /pick zones when Ragefire and Lockjaw were released. Raid content and group content was regulated to the guilds and groups that brought the most DPS to open world content, something that had been happening since EQ was released in 1999. It wasn't until Phinny that AoC's were implemented after the community requested that Ragefire and Lockjaw get instancing for raid content to solve for basically 1 guild on each server being able to lock down said content.

Point 2: The solution provided wasn't to ADD instancing of raid content to existing servers as was requested. Daybreak just simply opened a new server (likely due to the complexity of coding these new changes into an existing server. And it wasn't until Luclin had launched on Ragefire and Lockjaw that /pick zones were added.

Point 3: Now that said, I'm thankful that Daybreak gave RF/LJ pick zones. But the colossal mistake was not giving Ragefire and Lockjaw AoC's. If that had happened, both servers would be thriving and there would be NO NEED for new servers. You see where I'm going with this??? No need for new servers = less profit for Daybreak in the form of early Krono usage, new subscribers who didn't experience the initial class server opening etc.

AoC and Truebox code is likely tied together and these new servers have proven to be money makers. So the solution is simple... open up new servers every couple year or two and reap the profits.

Point 4 - (Most important part that people just don't get): The move to open these new servers is a calculated business decision and has NOTHING to do with your desire to limit boxers, your perception of "boxers are evil" or your view on AoC/Truebox. It has to do with maintaining profit margins and flushing the coffers with cash.

You know what else would make a windfall of cash at least initially? A Non-Truebox, AoC enabled, Free-Trade Loot server. You know why it will never happen? Because the model of opening AoC/Truebox servers is tested as a winner (Phinny, Agnarr, Coirnav and now Selos/Mangler) and the longevity of such a server would not be conducive to the plan to continue opening up servers year after year.

I'm sure a number crunching analytics person did the math and said, "You'll make X$ by continuing with a model of opening up Truebox/AoC servers at the current rate over the next Z years and you'll make Y$ by opening up a non-Truebox/AoC/Free Trade loot server but maintaining a certain number of subs over that same time."

Decisions like this never come down to community desires. It comes down to what makes the most sense financially. If the community STOPS moving server to server and closes the pocket book until something different happens, then maybe things will change. Selo's is different and will be successful in the long term. Mangler will be conducive to the casual TLP folks that didn't start on Phinny or hate the current slow xp of Coirnav. But then what? After Mangler reaches DoDH/PoR. I'm sure the next server will come out and the cycle will continue.
    Kattria Minx and Hdizzle like this.
  7. dmccollum Elder

This post boils down to envy. *** rhymes with Enis.
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

So limit boxing to 3 or 6 and keep true box. Ban accounts that box more instantly from true-box servers.
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

And all the problem boxers would end up playing on the true box server anyway because all the Krono is all them.
    Elyani likes this.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

So I need to find a way to make nerfing levitation in Plane of Fire profitable for Daybreak.

#Addatollboothtothemephitcave
  11. Machentoo Augur

This makes no sense. If they have defeated truebox to play six, they can play 30 just as easily. And, there is plenty of testimony from Coirnav players that there are people actually doing this--playing considerably more than six using automation.
  12. Trotts Journeyman

Guys, your so ill informed. Please come play on Ragefire a few days and you will have a much more informed perspective.

The largest two boxers on Ragefire play 24 toons, on a server with almost 0 policing, 24 toons is the MAX and theres only two of them. There are maybe 8-12 people playing 18 that I know of and I am the leader of one of the largest boxing guilds on the server, we are comprised of 3 18 boxers and 1 12 boxer. No truebox does not mean your going to have non-stop mega box armies, Ragefire is here to prove that.

Further more, Ragefire has one of the best communities I have ever been a part of, since like Velious onward basically, and I have played on many Live and TLP servers. It's not box armies steamrolling people all day like folks seem to believe here.

If you want to keep bashing truebox and boxing, that's fine it's just feeding Ragefire's growing momentum at this point.

We're closing in on 3 gen chats some nights now.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  13. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

He probably should have stated that truebox keeps a majority of folks from playing a lot of boxes, what is currently happening is access to software + methods to bypass truebox are allowing more people to mass box those automated 6+ groups all people hate on a truebox server.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

How many 7-12 character boxers? A handful? Dozens? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know.
  15. Trotts Journeyman

7-12 chars? Not many is my guess, maybe 8-12 players as well, it seems like folks either do 6 or 18 since 2 groups are pretty limited in what they can accomplish vs 18. If your already doing multiple groups you likely can run 18 np and you've already just accepted your gonna spent some cash to keep them going.

Now there are a TON of 6 boxers, that might be 30-50+ if I had to guess. I feel like most groups on RF are made up of 2-3 people playing a few toons each though.

Most people don't pay with Krono either, thats another myth, theres nowhere near enough krono in the system to fun all those teams.
    Xanadas likes this.
  16. Machentoo Augur

The folks that aren't currently playing a lot of boxes aren't the problem. If truebox were restricted they would not suddenly turn into abusive mass boxers that block others from content.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Repeating the same unsubstantiated claim over and over does not make it true.

And I'm pretty sure the forums over on redguides would have some indication of perma bans, if they were a thing. But, in fact, the most recent threads I could find over there (from 2016), indicate that DBG reversed the supposedly permanent bans they issued when they accused many of their players of actual credit card fraud.

But go ahead, continue to spread your made up lies.
    Boxing costs far more money than playing one account. Sounds like you are the one who may need a real job.

And please note that I didn't resort to calling you names.

I think I understand the two main reasons why some people are frustrated by boxers:
    1. Losing out on contested content.
    2. Jealousy.
    DBG could alleviate the first one (but choose not to), but the second one is on you.
  18. Hdizzle Augur

Lololol

This is golden...

go on, just know this is golden, this whole thread Lol.

The inconvenient truth.

They addressed 1. EVERY THING IN THE GAME THATS IMPORTANT IS INSTANCED.

Its just priceless to see a lot of posters in this thread who were Champions of the truebox campaign so many TLPs ago but were too naïve to see the long game and how it was really just a huge QoL hit for no reason.

DBG can't police 3rd party software guys. Even on Phinny, they had to ask the developer to disable it. It was a silly overreaction.
  19. Hdizzle Augur

Yup, a standard TLP with AOC/FV would bury every server. I believe they could continue to release these cookie cutter TLP truebox servers every year though because the reroll-aholics can't help themselves.
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The only disagreement I have with this is regular open-world content. Pickzones are a start, but with high /pick thresholds and the ability for anybody to enter your pick and steal your mobs, I can understand why some players are still griefed by boxers.

Private picks would be the true answer. I suggested that DBG could make money selling an item that would grant private picks a while back.

But I don't believe they care all that much, one way or the other. They don't do anything to stop any behaviors, and they issue lip service to the whiners. They get paid by both crowds.