Truebox code causing disconnects Issue Ticket Created on DBG issue tracker

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Risiko, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Risiko Augur

If you are being affected by the Truebox code issue where it is disconnecting you even though you are playing on TWO SEPARATE COMPUTERS in the same home, then here is your chance to do something about it.

I have created a ticket for the issue on the DBG Issue Tracker site. If you want this resolved or at the very least acknowledged by the devs as an actual issue, then go bump the issue ticket.

Click the following link to get to the issue ticket: EQ-1231.
  2. Machen New Member

I hope it gets a response and they fix this, but your issue reads too much like a personal petition and not enough like a game wide issue that needs to be tracked and fixed (which it is.) Dunno if you can edit it but I'd make it a lot less about your circumstances and focus more on how it's impacting the whole community.
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Kahna Augur

Don't hold your breath. The code was never about boxing on one computer, it's about preventing 3rd party programs, which can be used across computers. It's not going anywhere.
  4. Your_Ad_Here Augur

The OP isn't boxing on one pc. If I recall the original post some time ago, the OP was playing with another family member or they had accounts on 2 different pcs, which, when the same keys were pressed on both keyboards to do an action, there was a good chance both pcs were kicked out because of the TBC.

Personally I have not had this problem as I use a pc and a laptop for my box char, but I also don't press keys simultaneously. But I will defintely look at the ticket.
  5. GrugSA Augur

OP still full of . I press the same button all the time when two boxing, with 20+days played doing this i've never been disconnected.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

No he isn't. Some of us have this problem because of some combination of hardware and/or Internet provider. Just because you don't have this problem doesn't mean others don't. To reply in the way you did just exposes you for what you are.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Interestingly enough, it doesn't even do that. I see people running around using emque all the time. Does it stop the other 3rd part program? Perhaps.
  8. Kahna Augur

Yeah, I know the OP's situation, but as far as the program is concerned it's the same situation as someone two boxing. It doesn't change what I wrote. He complained that the true box code disconnected you even though people were playing on two separate computers. That is what it is built for. To deal with people who are playing on two separate computers and using key broadcasting. It's not a bug, it's the purpose of the program. There is a different feature that prevents you from playing two accounts on one computer.

It sucks when it gets it wrong, and some people seem to deal with it more than others. I box all the time, and can count on one hand the number of times I have been trueboxed. But I don't mash keys, or press them at the same time on two computers. It's a small price to pay for keeping key broadcasting at bay.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I tried to play just now. Four disconnects in 40 minutes. I give up.
  10. AlmarsGuides Augur

It does seem like the disconnects increased after a recent patch. Before I was able to box without ever hitting the truebox code limitations and now every time I go to send in pets (even if I don't touch the keyboard at the same time) I trigger the true box code.

Luckily since I have two IPs I was able to fix the issue myself, I just put one DPS per IP. But I know not everyone can do this fix and for those who play with family and don't box like I do, I could see this being a complete nightmare.

I waited 3 seconds between key presses and still triggered the true box limitations, I have a feeling that once you trigger the true box code it increases the ease and frequency that you can continue to trigger it while playing. Because I had never Dc'd myself until level 50 then once it started happening I couldn't get it to stop no matter what i did until I switch my team's placement around
  11. GrugSA Augur

Yes, he like you is wrong. You're saying A(2 or more pc same internet)+B(pressing the same key,while being in the same zone ect)=C(disconnect), but when i do A+B i don't get C nor does a bunch of people i know in game get C when A+B. So that means A+B=/=C. That means something else is needed in order to cause the problem. It's basic logic and troubleshooting. So because i don't have this problem absolutely means this is not what is causing the problem, it's something else.

You're right it exposes me as someone with an IQ above 80.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  12. AgentofChange Augur

It's an easy thing to reproduce. Grug I'm not sure why you can't reproduce the error, but it happens 100% of the time for me if I want it to. It's actually useful if I need a toon out of the game asap to prevent something bad from happening. It works exactly like the old /q did before they fixed that from kicking your character from the game immediately.

You need both toons to be actively using an ability that you are hitting the same key on each PC at the same time (ie. both toons actively kicking an npc, both toons actively casting a spell, 1 toon casting a spell while the other kicks that are bound to the same key etc).

The easy workaround was to ensure I never was pressing the same key on 2 or more PCs at the same time. Since doing that I haven't accidentally DC'd in the past 5 or 6 months. While it is annoying and takes some getting used to it's easy to workaround. Would it be nice for them to fix? Absolutely. Is it required at this point? Not in the slightest. Will they change it? Probably not.
  13. GrugSA Augur

Because what is describe isn't solely what causes the error. I'm not sure why you can't understand what most 8 year olds probably can.
  14. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Might be something to this. I was disconnecting consistantly on hitting my pet attack hotkey, even when that one wasn't being used on the 1st keyboard. I completely unmapped it on the 1st keyboard, and wiped and remapped it again on the 2nd, and trueboxing stopped.
  15. AgentofChange Augur

I guess you need to live up to your forum troll reputation because what is described reproduces the error without fail. The only time it will not replicate the error is if you DC yourself, then immediately log all your pcs back on. Once you log back in you can do whatever you like and you won't get DC'd until you zone, at that point you can once again replicate the actions required to DC.

If you are unable to replicate it then you are simply unable to follow simple instructions, which based on your posting history would not surprise me in the slightest.
    Heartland likes this.
  16. Schneider New Member

There's a couple of reasons this doesn't happen for everyone.

It's related to your external IP, if you're not affected by it, it's likely because you have several IPs available. It's sadly not a luxury everyone has.

It's also a lot worse for the family, playing together, than for the common boxer. When you box, you only click one computer at a time, meaning that you'll rarely run into this problem, unless you mash buttons on both keyboards with each hand.

For a family however it's going to be harder. The truebox trigger works as a "tolerance bar", meaning that the quicker you mash buttons, the more likely it gets that you get booted. It doesn't matter if you click different or same buttons, it's simply that you're using the keyboard on both computers and pressing the buttons in an interval that's close to each other.

For me and my girlfriend it meant that we can't play together. If she writes to someone while I'm writing too, we get disconnected at times. For a person with a somewhat fast typing skill, this is unavoidable. It's come to this that my girlfriend canceled her account, seeing as we couldn't take turns pressing our keyboards, it might sound overexaggerated but it can actually be that bad.

A lot of people support the truebox code, some because they're fanatic against the concept of boxing, others because they fear the RMTing and mass-boxing that can come without it. Sadly what we have right now is flawed at best, it hurts the families that want to play together, more than it hurts the boxers. In fact there's several broadcasting programs that works wonders right now, that can be set with a slight delay of half a second, to avoid ever getting hit by the truebox trigger. There's also Custom third party software that's set up for the server too. The only reason you don't see more people mass boxing, is because people report them very fast, so no one is stupid enough to try it. Let's not even mention the RMTing cause there's plenty of that going around, it's just PLing, platfarming and kronoselling now.

Question is, what good is the truebox code really doing then, if it's only there to harass the people that actually play legit?

Now before you come up with an argument like "But hey the code protects the server, because not everyone can bypass it", go use google if you want to find workarounds to the code, took me 5 minutes to find one. I agree we need to protect the server from mass boxing and from turning into what we had on Ragefire, but this is not the solution, not when it cripples actual players and is unaffecting boxing.
  17. Machen New Member

No, it does not. You guys need to get this through your heads that different people are having different experiences than you are.

For several months after Phinigel launched, when people started complaining about it, I tried to reproduce the bug. Did everything in my power, boxing six toons, spamming keys as fast as I could on six keyboards, or two keyboards, or whatever. Same hotkey, different hotkey, mashing all the hotkeys, didn't matter. Never got disconnected.

Then about two months in, randomly one day when I was trying to learn languages, spamming 2 on both keyboards, poof, there I went. Same combination of keys I had pounded many times earlier to try to produce it. Tried to do it again a few times over the next couple weeks, to make sure i could, and sure enough every time I disconnected. At that point I decided I'd better quit while I was ahead in case it was progressively flagging accounts for stricter enforcement (which I still think is one possibility.)

Now some people report they can reproduce it by spamming the same key on multiple keyboards (but spamming different keys will not trigger it.) Other people can reproduce it by spamming different keys. Still other people can spam anything they want all damn day long and stay connected.

No idea what changed in my case, but it is not true that everyone can reproduce it. That's all GregSA is saying--the issue is more complicated than people who are experiencing the worst of it are making it out to be. Some people can reproduce it easily, other people doing the same thing have different results.
  18. Machen New Member

Not necessarily the case. My wife and I played together frequently the first few months of Phinigel, each boxing several toons usually, and never had it happen. It's more complex than this. (And this was with 1 public IP address for all accounts.)
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

How interesting I wonder what type of setup's people are using.
    I box up to 5, and have never run into a disconnect from the start of the server.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

You're an idiot. I mean, obviously your IQ is below 30, right?