Treant =/= Beast!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Regnon, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tharrg Augur

You are what you eat.... so technically a Rabbit is a vegetable too.
  2. Cronos Journeyman

I don't have a huge issue with a treant as a pet, however a squirrel would make just as much sense, they live in tree's, get their food from tree's, and have no fear appeal, which would make red squirrels a hilarious pet.
  3. --Voodoo-- Augur

Why would you think that?

Wood Elf did beat the Iksar. Iksar beat the Dwarf. I'd assume Wood Elf would have beaten either regardless of which round.
    Tharrg likes this.
  4. Lenowill Augur

After thinking it over some more, I think the real thing we can conclude here...

...is that we want some code work to make it possible for beastlords to set the species of their warder from a list of possible ones. :D

I know that's unlikely and all. But it would pretty adequately silence most of this debate.

(Having to illusion the warder every time you zone in order to give it the appearance of a clicky from the marketplace doesn't really count as "having that species of warder" unfortunately. Too immersion breaking. Alternatively, a "Master of Disguise" AA equivalent for the warder would come close to achieving it at least.)
  5. Angahran Augur

Ok, so a treant is an organism that 'has characteristics' of a tree and human-like mobility and features.
    I can't argue with that.

But what has that to do with the definition of animal, "a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli."
    or your own definition of beast, "The most common definition of the word beast is : an animal; especially : a wild animal that is large, dangerous, or unusual."

Personally, I don't really care about dictionary definitions, I think the treant works well with a wood elf.
  6. Sobeit Journeyman

I'm waiting for all the variations of Treebeard for the warder's name.
  7. Draego Augur

Not necessarily true......
    It would be a totally different vote it wouldn't have been beastlord vs beastlord.....
  8. FawnTemplar Augur

I personally think a Treant makes sense for woodelves. Yeah maybe it isn't a animal but at least it makes sense to the race. I like the idea of a black wolf as well. As far as fae darkes.... I don't like it. I don't think it makes sense lore-wise as Veeshan and Tunare have been enemies since the beginning of time (literally). Just because you put "fae" in front of it doesn't make it a friend of the woodland people.

Since we are getting all real world on this subject and I am a Zoology major... I'll bite

Plants have these general characteristics:
    They are eukaryotic organisms
    Sedentary
    Autotrophic
    Their life cycles are characterized by alternation of generation
    They have indeterminate growth
    They have cell walls which are primarily made of cellulose
    Their cells contain chlorophyll and usually large vacuoles for storing starch.

Animals on the other hand:
    Eukayotic
    Heterotrophic
    Motile (if only in certain life stages all animals can move about)
    They do not have cell walls
    Most animals past through the blastula stage of development (this is exclusive to animals)

So no, treants do not equal animals. But then treants don't really exist so who is to say that in Norrath they don't use other means by which to classify their living organisms.
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Famka Elder

In EQ, where snakes can kick and definitions aren't the same as in the real world, I see no problems with 2 kinds of beasts, the plant kind and the animal kind.
    Also, in Beasts Domain, the izons drop Beast Carcass for a quest, just like all the animals.

Of course, you could just call the woodelfs Beechlords...
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But beastlords have animal wardens not beasts, so you're actually agreeing that treants should not be beastlord pets.
  11. Tharrg Augur

Its a Fantasy game.... they can have mud for a pet.. wouldnt hurt anything
  12. Tharrg Augur

I think of Beastlords as similar to Shaman/Monk.. as a Shaman they have Spirit Guides that allowed them to summon "animals or Spirits" to fight for them. They also can take the form of their Spirit guide. This would allow for the interpretation that Wood Elves being so close to the Trees and Forests,,, would be more akin to the spirits of the Trees than the spirits of animals. Thus their Spirit guide is a Treant. The representation of a sentient Tree. This is how I will interpret the new class, as Tunare has decided that its time the Forest has a new champion and gives the power of the trees themselves to the new Wood Elf Beastlords.

Beastlords are thus not really summoning Beasts.. as much as they are summoning the Spirits that they are akin too. Be it a Beast that is Animal/Reptile/Insect and or a Plant/elemtal etc
  13. Famka Elder

The class is called Beastlord, not Animallord, if your whole problem lies in the one little word in the class description, I'm sure that's easily fixed.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is what the whole of the class is based around. The class should not be changed the wood elf pet should be.

If they are going to start changing class descriptions, we may as well just scrap all of them and have 1 class does all.
    Draego likes this.
  15. Izcurly Augur

Stubbornitis and lastworditis will not make changitis in this case. Give it up.
  16. Angahran Augur

“Beastlords prepare for battle by calling on their animal warder and increasing the creature's natural abilities with spells. They share every combat with their warders, fighting beside these fierce companions or falling back to heal and aid them when needed. Beastlords learn spells to slow or damage their opponents, can heal their friends, and improve their ally's health and mana regeneration. This makes the beastlord a well-rounded ally in any group.”
    There, solved the problem.
    Tharrg likes this.
  17. Oranges Augur

stop ruining it

fighting tree FTW
  18. Bardan Masquerader Journeyman

Woody Beast should get some sort of a flying pet for sure. An eagle would make a whole lot of sense, but i dont see it happening. It will probably be a ground pet, make it an armadillo, or a porcupine if that's the case. Something that makes sense, not the first thing that comes to mind hopefully.
  19. Oranges Augur

and the tree

the squirrel pet would be able to launch an attack from the tree warden

[IMG]
    Norathorr likes this.
  20. kenmei Augur

armadillo, skunk