Training SK

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ginnsu, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Ginnsu New Member

OK so I stopped playing right about the time they put in the new models. I know it sounds crazy. But half elves were so ugly and my dashing half elf rogue wound up as some creepy looking dude with a top-knot. It broke my heart. And back then you couldn’t switch the old models back in. You were stuck. So I kind of rage-quit and moved on. And I’ve come back occasionally, but I always left. But a friend of mine that I started playing with way back then recently died and that’s got me by the heartstrings and so I think I’m back for a while.

Anyway on to my current question. I’m re-orienting and trying to learn as much as I can, and I’ve gone to the tutorial and I’ve been dumped here in Crescent Reach and I’m supposed to train up my Shadowknight. I’ve got like 60 points and I have no idea what to spend them on.

I know this game can be pretty unforgiving, and of course I know the skills can be trained up just by using them, but I want to get off on the right foot.

Is there a like an uber beginners guide on what you should train up and how to level up a shadowknight from the basement up? I found guides that seem to be geared towards endgame content, but I’m literally like a rank amateur with virtually no knowledge of how the game is currently. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dwarves the ogre
    (mama said you are wut you eat so...)
  2. Stix Man Elder

as far as the points you are referring to, don't worry about them. Those skills you could train, mostly go up naturally by using them. If you are behind on a skill, then maybe you can throw some points into it if you have a new 2 hand weapon and 0 2h slash skill.

I can't point you to a specific guide, but hopefully it helps knowing you won't really screw anything up this early. You shouldn't run into anything that is a no "takesies backsies" for quite a few levels.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not bad advice, but also worth knowing.... about a year ago, they made a change to the skill system such that any skill WAY behind it's current cap will increase quite quickly until it gets much closer to that current cap. So, if you get a new weapon type, and your skill is 0/100, for instance, I'd suggest taking it out for a spin, and then decide if it's worth dumping skill points into.

As an example, I had made some half-hearted efforts to skill up alcohol tolerance, which was at roughly 200/500. About 120 attempts later, I had made 2 skillups, and quit. When they announced the change I just mentioned, I tried again. 300 attempts later, I had made 200 skillups!
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

They are the remnants of the old RPG system. You used to be able to buy 1H slash or block with them back in the day when you leveled these skills slowly. You could use these points at your guild (class, not your friends in game) halls. They are on find, control F, and there is one in crescent reach. I think they are all near where you spawn in from the tutorial.

These days they are faster, but more importantly, they added a catchup mechanic. I think it is 5 levels and I think the level formula for most skills is level*5. So at level 50, your skill caps at 250. If you are less than the level 45 in the skill, or 225, you will increase in the skill rapidly. Like, very, like every few swings of your sword you will get a skill up. What used to take weeks happens in one fight.
  6. Laronk Augur

Generally I actually don't ever even spend skill points. I would save them until you have trouble casting a spell and pump them into the skill for that spell.

It changes a lot as you level and you're low level the biggest pointer I'd give you is read the spells as you level. The main thing you'll want as an SK leveling will probably be clinging darkness to slow the bad guys that run away and disease cloud for pulling, lifetap to help keep your HP full.

The question is more what to do! Where to go! for this I suggest Hero's Journey. you can find it in the achievement window the command is /ach. All the quests have writeups on allakhazam

At lower levels counter intuitively the tank merc is the better choice, it will rip stuff up.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And the melee or wizzy mercs might be even better. At levels below (40? can't remember the exact range) the wizzy and melee mercs tank about as well as the tank merc, and obviously do a lot more damage.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

and you can change your facial features anytime.. or use illusions.
  9. Ginnsu New Member

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate it!
  10. Ketzerei84 Elder

I'm so glad to see EvilGamer continuing on. Was quite put out when I went to a broken url recently :(

Skill points now - they belong one and only one place - languages because you're too lazy to spam a hotkey. Everything else is easy/free to level skillwise by just playing. Language requires obnoxious amounts of spam.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wouldn't waste them there, either. When I leveled up languages a while back, it didn't take long at all.

From what I remember, though, you DO have to buy the first skillpoint in a new language. If it's zero, it won't go up no matter how much you spam it.