Tradeskills and Phinny - EQ Vet Returning

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cubbie, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Cubbie New Member

Good Afternoon all,

After several years of not playing, I have returned to the Phinny server. While much has changed, I'm still finding I enjoy my time here. The only thing that has made me cringe is the commonlands/freeport/ro/oasis cluster. Whoever approved that redesign needs to be thrown to Lockjaw.

My question is this... I have decided to start looking at tradeskills and I'm incredibly confused as to all of the changes. Is this post listed here a correct representation of tradeskills? Namely, I'm looking at Jewelcrafting. I have a spell called enchant clay that I dont remember being in the game when I last played.

If that link is outdated - does anybody have a good resource?

Thanks!
    Cubbie
  2. Nolrog Augur

The tradeskills, for the most part is the most updated thing we have. The tradeskills on Phini are not yet up to that point. For example, the baking one says to go to patty melts after 143, but IIRC we don't get the cheese until Jaggedpines Forrest.

Many of the alternative paths are not available yet and won't be for some time.

So that is not a good guide for skilling up on Phini. I have been mainly using the guides on the main page from EQ Traders. Those are the really old guides and for the most part are pretty accurate for where we are (note, research does follow the new system, so the guide you linked above is probably the best.)
  3. Healiez Augur

cheese is available actually, lots of out of era items are. Just have to know where to look
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Good luck with the Non-Stick Frying Pan. After searching high and low I was forced to come to the conclusion that it's not in the game yet. Does anyone know for sure?
  5. Tomtee Lorekeeper

Tradeskills are definitely old-school in terms of how they work for skill-ups, and what you should use for skill ups (trivial levels, skill up % rates, how INT/WIS/STr/DEX affects skill up gains)

The other side of this coin is that a lot of out-of-era items are in-game that should not be in game. This means recipes that are 'disabled' by being out-of-era because their components are not around may actually be enabled. Of course, this is entirely up to DBG's discretion and what has been done in the past - Ill give you an example:

Deity Jewelry is hit and miss. You can combine an imbued black sapphire with a gold bar and get a Bertoxxulous deity earring. If you try and combine an imbued fire opal with platinum for a solusek ro intelligence ring, you will get a notification that you don't meet the requirements to make the combine.

Alternatively, you can make golden Idols (Luclin-era, I believe, 335 trivial) because all the components (looking at you, Celestial Essence) are available in the game, and DBG has not yet disabled them (this was true on all forms of TLP dating back to Sleeper/Combine). In addition, Mistletoe sickles are also available - the piece for the earring of the solstice, even though again it is a Luclin item.

So, in short, there isn't a master list, and you have to ask two questions to know if what you're making is even possible:

1) Are all the components for the combine in the game
    2) Did DBG disable the recipe?

Unfortunately there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I have found Almar's Guides to be pretty reliable for TLP, even though they do suggest suboptimal paths for some of the tradeskills.
  6. Lifetap Augur

Here you go. It'll cost between 16 and 20k to get to 200 JC
    [IMG]
  7. Tomtee Lorekeeper

Mmm, not really. I mean, I'm all for people spending that much money leveling up, but I can get to 250 JC in under 11k without breaking a sweat. It's all about knowing when to switch bar types, and when you should be making what.

General rules of thumb:

1) Intelligence increases your chance of skill up
    2) Your chance to skill up is much greater on a successful combine
    3) You are much more likely to successfully combine an item the closer to your trivial it is
    4) As you go down your chart, the gems increase in cost from a vendor
    5) At some point (silv->elec, elec->gold, gold->plat) the cost of the bar becomes less of an influence on 'combine cost', and your skill becomes close enough enough to the next tier that the 'cost to skill up' becomes cheaper at the Malachite + new bar combine than where you are.

In short:
    -Try and max your tradeskilling stat (int or wis, alternatively DEX for fletching, STR for smithing).
    -Make things close to your trivial
    -May attention how much your combines are costing you in raw materials.

Link to my spreadsheet which just does it for you:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QHkJpZ5vLP9-7tUXDtyCrFNufcWlRKoIFtMPRTv7uFA/edit?usp=sharing
  8. rick Augur

even researching spells is insane on Phinny atm

the old system (I am talking a long time ago in a galaxy far far away here) had the main costs being buying mats from players (dropped pages) the new system is an incredibly over complicated money sink buying items from a merchant ..

In a few expansions it is VERY easy to make coin while leveling up but at this time you often can have issues with gearing and spells then add to this researching and the costs become insane fast.. I spent 200pp just to get the skill up to 33 on one character and all i bought was the training items from merchants and from there it gets worse and then you need to buy hides from other players at exorbitant cost