ToV Bard Instruments

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Accipiter, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Chorus Augur

Yes they did, but no one uses up to date ammo for archery, except rangers, even on raids. It's too expensive for the ammo. For throwing, it's the same issue except that hasn't been updated in a very long time, even with tradeskills. The ranged aspect of the game is dead and needs to be repaired. What they did in EQ2 made it so the ranged combat interfered with DPS because it didn't fit into the way they have to weave their activated attacks inside of their auto-attacks. That system is also a bad system, but it's what eq2 is stuck with. We don't have that issue over here.
  2. Elyssanda Bardbrain

How about Slot 3 augs that are instrument modifiers? not a fan of the bandolier swapping. I think it would soon make it where many people stopped playing bards as it would be too much hassle, and the only ones who could do it perfectly every time, would be those who could program it.
  3. Szilent Augur

That's what the type3 Durus Faycite augs already are, SPA287 duration extension. Drums of the Warlord are the exact same and fully redundant with those augs for Chants, for instance.

I wouldn't object to extension on War March & Aria, but it doesn't feel necessary.

Also I think Ngreth's expressed the sentiment that type3s are somewhat overloaded with nonsense overall, so building out 30+ of them for bards would be moving in the wrong direction.

I concur.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Chorus Augur

Our mods are always maxed anyway, because of how our foci system is broken, and always has been compared to the other classes. I think we need to get away from the idea of instruments as modifiers for our songs altogether. Trying to keep them as such is a big reason why we're not ever going to see useful instruments appear as we're always at our caps even with 10 year old gear equiped. Changing them into a ranged stance weapon at least has a chance to alleviate that and give us something we are missing in our repertoire, a viable ranged attack that doesn't rely on summoned daggers from Underfoot era. No need for bandoliering that way, which is also something I pointed out earlier that none of us want to return to that.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Not sure if it's what you meant, but actual instrument stances would be interesting. Similar to weapon stances for tanks, but based on equipping different instruments (and swap instruments to a ranged item).

I still think it would be cool if more classes got weapon stances in general.
  6. Szilent Augur

dots & nukes is a lot more dps than rogues & berserkers & warriors & paladins have.
    Hora likes this.
  7. Chorus Augur

yep. So?

The ranged attack system for throwing has languished forever, it's time to do something to fix it. The bard instrument system has also languished forever, but continuing to try to introduce them as song modifiers isn't going to happen, so time to take a different tact.

The bard focus system is still just as broken and non-sensical as it always was, especially considering most of our effects aren't even modified by it anymore so it can safely be ignored as is at this point...another point in favor of not using instruments as song mods anymore. Not sure how updating the ranged combat system wouldn't be a plus for the other classes as well, except for rangers, so no idea what point you're trying to make here in a bard class discussion.

Also, if you think they're going to leave our DOTs be as massive as they are, and not let them atrophy in the next couple of years...then you haven't been paying attention to how they treat the bard class. They throw us a bone every 4-5 years, then nerf it into oblivion a year or 2 later in preparation for the next bone. Our DOTs won't be the power houses they are now in a year or 2.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Bandolier swaps for bards is the only way they should be played. This nonsense with instrument proficiencies on armor, bleh. Bard is so much cooler in early expansions. Having to decide to make a tradeoff over offhand DSP vs instrument buff was a fun mechanic. I'll be playing a bard on the upcoming TLP, so I get to relive the glory days of macros lol.
  9. Shakara Augur

I kinda agree with this, but I think the way that bard has developed it would either be too drastic a change or we would have to give too much up to go back. Bards now just feel balanced around using duel wield and giving that up to have song modifiers at this point doesn't feel feasible. I think instrument choice does indeed need to come back and I think there is a ton of design space to make instruments a really cool and fun addition to the bard class. However I do not think bando swaping for every song you sing is the way to go there.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Back in those days that was pretty much the only thing you had to do though. And it was tedious.
    song, swap instrument swap weapon, song, swap instrument swap weapon etc. And there was no bandolier. It was all done manually.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Jennre Band Leader

For sure. I was definitely solid with swapping instruments at the last minute. It made moving/typing difficult, but at least then the boost was noticeable.