Tool for guide makers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rasper Helpdesk, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Hi gang.

I decided to take a break from the Seeds guide before working on migrating the raid stuff to new format and focus on a project that has been bubbling around in the back of my head for a bit. Putting maps into guide was always a bit of a pain, trying to find a clean source image, handling height filters, manually placing dots to mark locations, then saving a different file for each map you wanted to use. I figured there was a better way so I made a javascript file that handles it all on the fly.

First, the demo page - https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/mapDemo/

The idea is you first upload the text based map files that EQ uses to draw them in game (Goods, Brewalls, etc), only the geometry file though. Then call my javascript function (with a slew of variables) and it builds the map you want, with location markers, on demand and inserts in into your HTML. The demo page above has two examples.

Options include: setting a set point as the center of the image (or having it default to center of zone), setting a min/max height filter for z-axis (or having it show all), scaling the map to zoom in, setting the size of the created image in pixels (and having the image maintain the proper ratio and zoom), having the line colors be solid black or go from red to blue to reflect height, and adding multiple location markers at any x,y with custom color and size.

You can get the js file here - https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/mapDemo/mapImages.js Feel free to use it, I tried to make it clean and clear with plenty of comments to explain things so if you need to make changes you can.

Fun bonus - when viewing the resulting webpage you can right click - save as to create a local copy of the generated map.
    Zynt, Nennius, Duder and 2 others like this.
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Super cool thanks...does it print out the location of Burning Woods each week?
    Zynt likes this.