too late to start new on agnarr?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by YamiBlind, Jun 18, 2018.

1. YamiBlind New Member

hello all
    I played EQ on live up to about... GOD, on and off
    Agnarr's timeline looks like my dream server, but I've only just now found out about it
    It looks like POP has been unlocked already, and i've missed the boat on kunark, velious, and luclin
    If i recall POP items completely trivialize the verant made expansions to the point where they aren't raided anymore after POP hits
    I've played p99 a lot and I love the server, but really instanced raiding is a huge QOL improvement, and I really enjoy Luclin, Pop, and LDoN / LoY
    That being said, would you honestly say it's too late for me to join, considering how late into agnarr's life cycle we are? Has there been any announcement or hinting at another progression server with a similar timeline, or possibly a slightly longer one (i could live with that i guess)
    any advice or assistance you could help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Skeetari Lorekeeper

I would say it’s not too late. In fact, as long as guilds are still raiding it will never be too late. Xp is pretty quick, levels cap at 65, and new apps will always be welcome in guilds. There should be a bonus xp weekend coming up for 4th of July, so I would start ASAP, and use the bonus to try to get as high level as possible. Not sure what the lower levels grouping scene looks like, but I still see groups advertised from a pretty good variety of levels.
  3. Elskidor Augur

It'll never be too late really. I mean, some earlier expansions won't be as challenging but the server is locked in era forever so you will catch up in time without fear of it moving into expansions you don't want. And as some people get bored and retire or move on there will be more spots needing to be filled in raids forces if that's your goal. That's the great thing about Agnarr. You could leave for a year and pick right back up where you left off. TLPs bore me after about OoW so it's awesome we have one forever locked in one of the most popular eras.
  4. Wiff Elder

It's not too late.

You may not be able to instantly get a group whenever you want, but you're chances are better here than anywhere other than Coirnav. I don't have much trouble putting a group together myself, even if it starts as a non-optimal duo. Once you can group with 65's, it will be easier.

I'd suggest making more than one character, at least one of which that can solo. You have forever to get them to 65. And a joining leveling guild always helps.
  5. Risiko Augur

If you are looking for an expansion locked server (like p99), then it is never too late to join Agnarr. That is the only server that is expansion locked in Everquest. In essence, Agnarr is DBG's p99 server except it goes to LDoN instead of just Velious.

On the other hand, if you want to play on a server that will continue to open new expansions once every 12 weeks and you are not afraid of slow experience rates, then Coirnav is the server for you.

Coirnav is less than 1 month in to the Ruins of Kunark expansion.

Coirnav's first four expansions:
    1. June 6, 2018 - Ruins of Kunark
    2. August 8, 2018 - Scars of Velious
    3. November 11, 2018 - Shadows of Luclin
    4. February 2, 2019 - Planes of Power
  6. Iyacc Augur

If this part is important to you then you will miss the true experience in the earlier expansions. There are still guilds doing some of the content but I don't know if the purposely stay low level. Also, some guilds go back and kill earlier stuff for fun but it's usually small groups to see if it can be done, not a true challenge when you really needed the gear.

Lots of fun to be had on the server but it depends on how much you really want to do earlier XP camps and raids when they were somewhat challenging.
  7. Yruc Augur

I would say it is not too late. Join a guild that does raids. There is a guild that is actually doing the progression stuff over again, they are raiding Classic and Kunark right now I believe and working on pop flags as well (according to their recruitment messages)

Create a toon, and goto POK main bank and get some buffs (a lot of higher level clerics / druid / enchanters will buff lower level characters (those under 20) for free) the go get some levels / rinse and repeat.

Thinking July 4th week there will be xp bonus possibly so that would help catch up.

I think there will be another TLP server, but not for 6-8 months ( around the 20th anniversary time frame, I think Agnarr will be fine until then. After LDON I think you will see the server population start to drop, but I don't think it will be a ghost town)
  8. Domniatric Augur

You probably missed the boat on "progression" on Agnarrr. But, that isn't all bad. Because, along with it you missed the toxic key questing, most of the griefing, camp competition, Krono farmer bots etc.

If you do come to Agnarr you can still catch up and raid in PoP no question. You will be hard pressed to find people raiding old content however (because it is mostly irrelevant now).

I for one am looking forward to the more chilled out golden age of Agnarr where everything isn't a hostile hyper-competitive scramble.

But, if you prefer a highly competitive progression focused experience (along with with all the negative things that come with it) you are better off starting on Corinav.
  9. Ber316 New Member

Don't see any reason you can't start now if you want to enjoy POP era stuff. I started just before POP released and hit 65 a week ago. Found a guild and started doing some raiding.
  10. raza31 New Member

I am a returning player after years away and i am interested in joining on this server also.
  11. Vedette Journeyman

Be prepared for pickup groups to be rare until you get to 45+. However, the XP rate is really fast, and there should be a bonus xp weekend coming up soon. Plenty of guilds plan on going well past ldon so you have plenty of time to join a guild now, and relive PoP.
  12. Dixa Augur

agnarr is probably the best place to be if you are returning ot the game after 10+ years or never really got anywhere since pre luclin.

the live server without resources (read: $$$) or a good guild that works with your playtime, it will still be years before you hit level cap where the majority of the population is if you are not playing a lot and if this is not your only game. this is pretty much everyone today. there are so many good mmorpgs that sticking to just one even if you have found a great community is just no longer a thing.

since agnarr won't go beyond where it's at now you wno't have to worry about that last level being pushed out of reach every 6 months with each new "expansion". the pressure to play 5 hours a day is gone.

it is, however, damned hard to get lowbie buffs from the gaggle at the MB in pok. 80% of the server is afk.
  13. Wiff Elder

It's funny how two people can see the same thing so differently. I have less trouble getting buffs on Agnarr that any server in recent memory.

It is rare for me to /ooc for a clarity and not get one within a minute or two, usually for free from a stealth cast. I get random buffs by just standing there away from the crowd a bit for 10 minutes.

When I'm done for the day, I afk at the MB, get logged out at some point, and usually come back the next morning with full buffs. I always cancel whatever buffs I have so that there won't be any overwrite issues. And I'm not 45 yet so it is people specifically buffing me.

Maybe it's harder to get the exact buffs you are looking for? Try to get buffs on Phinny sometime.
  14. Yruc Augur

There are some lower level groups more so on the weekends than during the week.