ToL Mage Guides

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Aitne, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Aitne New Member

Heya guys, so I've been really trying to hone my skills as a mage, and have even app'd to raid on her this time around. I used to raid with my mage back in CoTF and such, but fell out of it in lieu of my necro.

Anyways, I've been reading through different guides, the main one I've set up to follow is the one on eqfreelance from Sancus. It has been super helpful and informative, but I'm curious if there are other things I should also be looking into. If you guys have any tips and tricks, must have items or other guides that will help me optimize my dps, please share them! I'm hoping to make a decent entrance on raids, rather than fall flat. :)
  2. Szilent Augur

Sancus likes this.
  3. Sancus Augur

If you haven't raided ToL events, my suggestion would be to focus on maximizing your cast counts (i.e., following your rotation with minimal downtime) while following event mechanics. There are little things beyond the guide available to further push DPS, but it should provide a very good baseline for starting out. I can't speak to what your experience will be, but I have worked with a lot of Mages that try to overfocus on smaller items while not really having their rotation down. The vast majority of Magician DPS differences are explained by (roughly in order of importance)
    1. High cast counts properly following our rotation
    2. ADPS (buffs from support classes, covered in great detail here)
    3. Not dying to event mechanics
    4. Burn timing (for the most part, using on cooldown)
    5. Situational spell usage (viz., Beams)
    There are miscellaneous things beyond what's listed above, but any guild (mine included) would be more than happy to have an app that really has the above down before applying.

I saw you specifically asked about clickies in (what I'm assuming is) your reddit post. There are very few clickies that are important from a DPS perspective. Bifold is probably the most important nowadays; Glyphwielder's Tunic of the Summoner is a small pet buff that's also decent. Rage of Rolfron (CoP IV) is probably the only other DPS one I'd really recommend for raiding. There are a few swarm pet clickies available (e.g., Vicious Rabbit, Cloth Cap), but those are generally less welcome and less needed on raids.

If you have any specific questions before or after you raid, feel free to ask in the Discord or, if you'd prefer, you can PM/DM me (beyond asking in this thread of course).
    Rexa likes this.