To box or not to box.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Morigin, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Morigin New Member

I am currently leveling a Cleric on Phinny and having a great time. Last night I got to wondering if I should box a tank on my laptop to go with him. I have been doing a lot of grouping and playing with others is the main reason I enjoy the game but I have not ran into many people playing tanks. My question is how hard would it be to box a SK? I don't know how involved of a class they are and don't want to overwhelm myself since I am very new to the game. A side question does cleric get more active/involved to play as you get higher in levels? I enjoy my cleric and enjoy healing and keeping the group up but when with well geared people it sometimes gets slow. I caught myself smiting last night in Unrest due to being a bit bored. If I bring in a SK how hard is it holding agro and how hard will it be keeping the group healed if my attention is divided? Thanks for any advise you can give I am currently leaning towards one character but considering if adding a second is a good idea.
  2. VandilIzer Augur

I box a SK and Cleric, SK on main comp Cleric on Laptop with a 2nd wireless keyboard and mouse. After getting some basic gear you will be able to pretty much load a heal (CH once your high enough level) and HoT and not have to worry much about the cleric while playing and tanking with the SK.

Its a solid combo, the only issue right now is you would lack DPS, SK is ok but decent DPS costs tons of mana and cleric is well... a cleric. That being said this server is about grouping and I have a great time 2 boxing these as i can always easily form a group any time I want and play the Cleric out of group healing if I want to get a guildie or more DPS in the group.

To answer your side question - Does the cleric get more involved - Not yet. In later Xpacks clerics get more versatility in spells and abilities but right now and even for a bit going forward clerics are CH bots mostly, you can still hit stuff and nuke but you frankly suck at it, your job is healing and with CH and the way grouping is in the current game.... its gonna be boring sometimes. I suggest 9.99$ for netflix =P

TL: DR - Its very easy to hold agro as a SK, you can easily play both using the cleric to just CH, HoT and Spot heal while focusing in on tanking.
  3. Morigin New Member

Thanks for the information. If I was going to roll a Shadow Knight and twinkle him a bit what would be the stats to focus on armor wise? Also for weapon is it best to go one hand sword with shield?
  4. Astley Augur

AC for gear... Strength, Stamina, Intelligence will be of secondary importance stats for tanking as an SK. If you do go SK, Ogre is a good starting class to use due to frontal stun immunity, and they get solid boosts to strength and stamina out the gate.

For pure tanking, yeah, Sword and Shield is probably better option.
  5. Kiani Augur

I play a cleric, and yes, it can be a bit boring if all you do is heal. But there's no reason you should just do that. Nuking is fine, especially against undead. Keep up your melee skills as you level, and you can always hit things with a summoned hammer. Cleric dps isn't great, but it all helps, plus it alleviates the boredom. As long as you do still heal, of course.

I've also come across the lack of tanks issue too. With a decent healer, mage pets, charmed pets, rangers and even others can tank if they're willing to. A group I was in the other day had a tanking necro! Not ideal, but it worked.

If you're looking to 2 box in a group, bear in mind that when it gets hairy is when the tank needs to be agroing mobs off the healer, and when the healer needs to be healing multiple people at the same time. Both might need to be busy at the same time, which can mean the difference between a wipe or success. But with careful pulling, those situations shouldn't occur very often.
  6. VandilIzer Augur

Also with practice you can handle those situations, once the clerics buttons are second nature to you its all reflex, I can heal my SK and the group while pulling snap agro on multiple mobs if needed, I certainly dont prefer to do so whenever possible as it interferes with my netflix however once everything is muscle reflex its not bad. But to be fair I have been playing the 2 classes together for a very very long time even before Phinny =P
  7. Illusory Augur

Typically you wouldn't want to box a tank, but rather a class that doesn't take much effort to play. Since your Cleric is your main, why not box a class that can compliment your Cleric? Such as a Bard?