TLP Vote

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ~Mills~, Apr 17, 2015.

1. ~Mills~ Augur

Why was there never a choice of "I don't want any resources wasted on a TLP if it costs us standard content for established paying customers on normal servers"?

I think you would be surprised about your numbers then.
  2. Ducreux Augur

You get your 2 DLC packs a year and like it.
  3. Bandok Augur

You're making an assumption that the TLP is actually using resources that would otherwise be spent on the normal servers. Much of the TLP crowd is pretty well convinced that the new TLP is mostly a cash-grab for funds to help fund the Live game and/or EQN.
  4. Crayon123 Augur

BOOM!
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  5. ~Mills~ Augur

It's not an assumption.
  6. Ootax Augur

Why? because you guys aren't going anywhere and a TLP will be a major cash boost for at least a year but probably longer.
    urinezombie likes this.
  7. Hateseeker Augur

This topic is a good one to bring up another subject. The new ownership hasn't been in power for a year yet, and EQ expansions are not typically announced until August.

Any indication not to expect another one?

If there isn't one, I'm sure TLP 3.0 will be blamed.
  8. ~Mills~ Augur

Robbing Peter to pay Paul. They have limited resources. They are in this to make money. They are making a calculated business decision that TLP profits gained will exceed profits lost from reduced live content. Of course they are going to say the two are separate and won't cannibalize from each other from a limited resource pool. Just like they said going from 2 to 1 expansions a year gave them more resources and time to make stuff better. Just like staggered content was supposed to do. Just like advanced looting and mount keyrings did. Those all ate up resources based on calculated decisions but they can't come out and say that.

This is all based on the success that Fippy and Vox had and what kinda of interest and $ they made. But one big factor I think they are not accounting for is that Fippy and Vox were popular to a multiple types of players. You had those that wanted to relive the old world somewhat and such which are waiting in line for it now. And you had a lot of others who simply used the TLP servers to experience the content they missed while leveling up on a server that supported them every step of the way. Eventually planning to get into live again after experiencing a sped up version of what they had missed. This time around though the live server population is going to take a hit and not be what it was if campaigns turn out to be what we all realize they will be but don't want to accept it. So they are fooling themselves if that large portion of prior TLP people who used it as a newbie catch up server are going to appear again.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

If you're suggesting that a significant portion of players on TLP 3.0 won't be old players returning, you'll be surprised.

And if players do come from Live to TLP, then clearly that's what they want to do, otherwise they might have hit another non-playing period, also reducing revenue.
  10. ~Mills~ Augur

I'm saying that you get a bunch of people to play for year and then accept its probably game over and becomes maintenance mode sooner then anticipated because they let live wither up.

If you freezing to death in 20 degree weather you don't spend your resources looking for gloves to keep you hands warm at the expense of building a shelter to keep your core warm.
  11. Ootax Augur

They probably aren't even using a lot of resources for this TLP, most of it is 75% done if they're going of the last set. If you have something 75% done and cash waiting for it, it makes sense from a business standpoint to go with it, even if that means some other parts of the business suffers, as long as they're making money they don't care how it's done. What if this TLP becomes a major success due to the longer times spent in earlier expansions? If that is the case and subs stay high then you guys on live will be thanking the TLP players for the cash boost.
  12. Behee Augur

I don't think you have any real clue. They have startup costs, but they also have a server with a 100% subscription rate. On top of that, they sell us stuff from the store. When the server population drops, they don't merge the servers, they sell us the merge one character at a time for $25.

And I don't think anyone who played on Fippy and Vulak would say we got way too much customer service. Mostly we get a rare post on these forums along the lines of "we are still thinking about this item ...", but rarely see anything but minor fixes.

Feel free to look up patch notes from the last 4 years as proof.
  13. Darth Augur

This is not true at all. Extremities lose heat faster, and suffer from frostbite. If you lose your fingers you can't build a shelter. Therefore hands need to receive resources before the core, as activity will help keep the core working, where as activity won't save fingers from frostbite.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  14. Vaclav Augur

Rather than making stupid analogies, you do realize the number one thing to keep a business thriving is to continue bringing in new customers, right?

Retention is actually of less value than having some sort of influx of new customers - TLP has been one of their most successful new customer programs, the retention (as you've quoted) has suffered, which is why so many of us (and DBG themselves) are trying to tweak things to encourage people to stay as long as possible.

Businesses live and die based upon new customers, they stagnate and wither with only old customers.

It's Business 101 material, like literally talking the first week, if not the first day of my business education.
    urinezombie and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  15. Behee Augur

I will also point out that Mills isn't a subscriber. So, it's the FTP people complaining about what an entire server of PAYING people get.

I am sure there is some sort of irony buried in there somewhere :p
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  16. Vaclav Augur

He might be AA banner doesn't automatically show.
  17. Behee Augur

Then perhaps he should turn it on :) Let's face it, the argument is about what paying people want, and what they get.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  18. Jaxarale01 Augur

because live is dying and this is a cash grab for them... you should embrace TLP servers, it is what is funding your game going forward...
  19. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

More like funding the game until DBG is sold on, the cut in staff coupled the influx of money from a TLP will make the balance sheet look much better.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  20. Jaxarale01 Augur

Very good point... I would not be surprised if August 1st DBG is sold.