TLP Tradeskills

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by KimchiGoddess, Jul 23, 2020.

1. PeterPansicle Journeyman

Someone is feeling dumb today and I see that it's you!
  2. Machen New Member

Quite a few tradeskills cannot even theoretically hit 300 in classic as there aren't recipes available with trivials over 300.
  3. KimchiGoddess Augur

Fair enough but my question was more in regards to only a single one going over 200 prior to AA's than how many can actually hit 300 during classic ;)
  4. Hinastrom Elder

So, uh, either my google-fu is failing me or im missing something in regards to research after classic.

The last thing I could find was from 2017 which was the "can't research non-classic spells until after 3 expansions have passed" change.

A few people are talking like research is usable to make kunark etc spells in era. Am I misunderstanding something?
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

That doesn't kick in until PoP for whatever reason so you can craft in era through Luclin.
  6. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

Yes, that information is wrong. I don't know what else to tell you.

PoP is the first expansion where you can't craft at least some in-era spells.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  7. Truetotheblue Augur

Research can be used to make spells up until PoP, the reason some of us say it dies in Kunark is that after classic those spells also drop. Having multiple sources to obtain them sinks the price. On Mangler a lot of people just started vendoring spells.
  8. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

There is a ton of good money to be made still post-classic, especially in velious. I spent the first day of velious selling spells that I had crafted and I made a large amount of Kono.

There are also a couple spells that you can craft before they drop or are sold. I'll leave that to the intrepid explorer...
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I don't know how high research can reach during classic, but raising it over 200 does not count toward your "one skill over 200" limit. That only applies to the 7 core tradeskills: baking, jewelry, smithing, tailoring, fletching, pottery, brewing.

Same with alchemy or tinkering. They do not apply to the one skill over 200 limit.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

You can take research to 243 (using an ungodly amount of plat and/or crystallized sulfur/saltpeter), after that you need to craft spells and I believe the first spell that is high enough trivial is PoP era
  11. Captain Video Augur

As others have noted, this restriction only applies to the main seven; research, alchemy and tinkering are on their own. I've never been a big TS person in Classic, but if memory serves, no TS can go above around 270 because the recipes don't exist yet. I wouldn't fuss about getting any of the main seven over 200 right away, because you're going to get headaches trying to find the mats you need no matter which one you choose. If you must, I would personally vote for tailoring. The profit margins are lower than JC, but you'll have more customers. Everyone wants armor, only the casters want +int/wis. But you should go with whatever you enjoy the most, really.
  12. PeterPansicle Journeyman

Way to be redundant mate
  13. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

There is a lot you don't know. JC makes resist gear everyone wants and HP rings and earrings that melee and tanks like. You can level pottery, fletching and baking to 300 in classic (though not with classic recipes).
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

What are you tailoring in late classic -> early kunark that is going to have more customers? Very early classic you could make the argument for Wu's but at the point Aradune/Riz are now JC is going to be more in demand (probably more in supply also because of this.)
  15. RizLoaner Elder

There are only two items worth tailoring in classic, Wu's and Fleeting Quiver. When Kunark launches Wu's will be in demand again, not sure how in demand the Fleeting Quiver is.
  16. Krezzy Augur

I'd add 10-slot bags as an item often bought from tailors during classic era. Shaman bags in particular sell pretty well.
  17. RizLoaner Elder

They do sell but the profit per combine and the amount of combines you'll have to do to make any sort of real platinum off bags is quite a large undertaking. The time vs money really isn't there. The medicine bags sell for 20-30p, hand made backpacks 80p. Compare those to a black sapphire electrum earring which trivials at 140 skill (very cheap to get in JC). If you hunt the sapphires you're making 1000-1200p each per combine, if you buy sapphires at the rate of 500-700per you're close to doubling your money on every single combine done. They always sell, I've never sat on a stack of ears longer than an hour in tunnel.
  18. Captain Video Augur

My suggestion is just one vote. I read the OP's question as being targeted towards those recipes with trivials over 200, since only one main TS can go above 200 in Classic, and we're considering what becomes valuable at the beginning of Kunark. I considered JC combines with trivial 140 to be irrelevant to this discussion, because anyone can do them. If people can make money off of those, more power to you!
  19. RizLoaner Elder

You'll make a lot more money off a high pottery skill than you will with JC. There are at least 2-3 people perma selling JC items in the tunnel at all times of day, very few folks selling idols which are bis range items for a lot of classes. The best reward vs effort is black sapphire electrum ears, you can triv them out with less than a couple thousand plat and have plenty of profit to max another tradeskill that's worthwhile. There's a reason a lot of people do JC, it's no effort. If you think you'll get your money back going up to skills where blue diamond and black sapphire necks are trivial (263~) then you're full of wishful thinking at this point of classic, you've missed the boat where you can overcharge for JC because you're the only one doing it.
  20. KimchiGoddess Augur

I have pottery up to 107 currently, hit 179 in JC but getting to the point where 100 combines is like 1-2 skill ups, 4 if I'm extremely lucky. I'm just selling back to the vendors at this point, I've roughly spent 1kish leveling JC to where it is now.

I'm also kind of thinking forward with this as well to what's coming, so gem studded chains for solstice earrings etc.

There are some things I will never bother trying to sell, I see people selling MTP for 1pp each ... that is way too much effort to sell them for 1pp ea.

Might take a break from JC and go back to pottery for a bit. I honestly really enjoy tradeskills and always have it, even back when you had to do every step of the combine manually. I wish I could get them all to 300 without waiting for AAs tbh.