tlp to live

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by superman, Sep 28, 2015.

1. superman Augur

Returning and playing on tlp has actually caused me to have an interest in playing on live. I played until luclin on live and nothing past it.so i just had a few questions.

1. which server's have the most active current raiding population? (some appear completely dead)
    2. can you find groups past the lvl 60 range when i read solo'ing slows down?
    3. are the class roles still the same? I like playing casters, and bard. are ench's still necasarry to groups for CC? are bard's still able to effectively CC and wanted. is cc even still an issue i guess. i read somewhere any class can do it now.
    4. looking at wizard/necro if i go dps. I hear wizard's are op right now for sustained and burst dps but are necro's stil waanted in groups? i like to swtich out between solo/group as i get bored after doing one for to long.
    5. any thoughts on bard/enchanter/wiz/necro are welcome as those are the classes i like to play.
    6. is it possible to catch up and learn the new game. or am I just wasting my time? heehe
    thanks for your input :)
  2. sifonin Augur

Heya! So glad to see posts like this. I main a raid necro with keepers of the elements and I would say there are some good choices on the luclin server for raiding. I'm always willing to help people catching up. Send me a pm on here or a tell to Sifonin, oficionato, or shadol.
  3. Maurasi Journeyman

1. Some might appear "completely dead" because raiding is no longer open world like you might remember. Everything is instanced so you don't have spawn racing, trash talking in ooc/shout, and fights over bosses. Not every guild participates with Progress and other websites that track progression. Back when you played, you could see where every guild was merely by going to their website where they'd tell you how the boss was and how a competing guild learned the strat by one of their members sleeping with a dev's wife (or some other outlandish claim).

2. Depends on the server, but I wouldn't expect a robust grouping scene at those levels. Nowadays, people fly through them so fast (or skip them altogether with heroic characters), it's hard to maintain a good pop there.

3. To a certain extent, all classes have some CC ability. Class roles are still basically the same (i.e. wizards haven't morphed into support characters). However, it should be noted that many people might "box" (i.e. play more than one character) so that may affect your groupability. I think your personality as a player will have more to do with how easily you get groups than what class you play. If you join a good/great guild and cultivate a robust friends list, that'll be far more advantageous than playing a class because "groups want them".

6. Only if you are completely incapable of learning. Otherwise, it's rather easy to pick up on the game. Just be sure to check your "it used to be like this" emotions at the door. A LOT has changed since Luclin and in many ways, EQ is a different game than you remember.
  4. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

Live is super easy to level on. Any class will do! Pick what is fun for you and go for it. There are lots of fun family guilds and awesome people around everywhere to meet. Remember, it is about the journey, not the destination ;) Go have some fun!
  5. Silentchaos Augur

1. Bristlebane and Cazic Thule are the most populated servers.
    2. Gonna be tough to find a group from 60-85ish, make some friends. You also have the option of jumping straight to lvl 85 with nearly max AA and basically full house of thule T1 gear (~900 HME range) for 3,500 dayreak cash.
    3. Bards can CC almost as well as enchanters, CC isn't really necessary endgame grouping. Both of those classes bring a lot to the table other than CC.
    4. Necros solo better than wizards, wizards do a *lot* more damage in a group setting.
    5. They're all extremely powerful classes in both a group or raid setting.
    6. It is never too late. Read as much as you can and play around with your activated abilities. Join your server's class-specific channel and the serverwide class-specific channel, there will be people there willing to help you.
  6. Gundolin Augur

Its difficult without a guild to find groups from 60-84. But you can still solo without much issue. I did most of those levels with my Cleric and Wizard solo. Log in your character with your Merc up for a couple hours before you hunt in the Guild Lobby or where ever people like to MGB on your server and you should breeze through most molo content.

And if you aren't able to pre-buff there are plenty of areas you can kite in or with relatively weak mobs that leveling really isn't much of an issue through 85. (just slows down).
  7. superman Augur

OK, Thanks guys. Guess it's bristlebane then since that ws the server i played on on live and its one of the most populated, Still havn't decided on class :) hehe but i'm sure many of you know how that is.
    thanks again!
  8. Zohan Journeyman

To avoid starting another thread. Came back for TLP but want to resume on live
    I have 3 accounts that i will move chars to Bristle or CT

95 shaman, 90 monk and 70 druid

Questions
    Merc set up for this odd grouping?
    Best way to level with this lvl difference?

Ideally get them all over lvl 100 and then seek out a guild. Monk would be my main character
  9. Maurasi Journeyman

What I would do:

Work to get the Druid to 85 (Grounds port). That would narrow the level gap significantly. Merc setup would depend on how you want to use the monk. Tank mercs (even J5) aren't very good at 80+ but if you wanted to avoid having the monk tank, I'd do this: SHM - Tank, MNK - Healer, Druid - Melee Damage. If you're okay with the monk tanking, I'd do this: SHM - Healer, MNK - WIZ, Druid - Melee Damage. Until the Druid narrows the gap, having anything but melee damage probably wouldn't help a whole lot (70 Tank merc couldn't handle 85+ mobs, caster wouldn't be able to land anything, healer might not be useful at all with the Shaman present and druid backing up, etc).

Just how I'd do it if PLing another class up is off the table.
  10. Gundolin Augur

I think you will probably find it easier if you are three boxing to have a Tank, A Healer, and a DPS. With a Shaman and a Druid in the group you could of course drop the healer and go double DPS mercs, it depends on how much of your energy you want to devote to healing. I would also put the highest level character with the Tank, but if you are going to get them all to roughly the same level range it shouldn't matter that much - what is most important I think is have each character pick one type of Mercenary AA to specialize in.

With my Cleric I almost all Merc AA's on Tanking ability, and the Beast I play with puts all her Merc AA's on DPS AAs. Personally I think it takes at least 50 AA's on your Merc before it starts to make a difference, plus your Merc armor from CoTF.
  11. Rhaage Augur

I'd keep the monk & shaman (cleric merc with monk, tank merc with shaman).

If you are set on keeping the druid, I'd get him a wiz merc.
    If you're open to powerleveling a new class I'd look at swapping in a wiz for the druid (but still keep wiz merc).

most of what I've seen says the caster mercs are higher dps in most circumstances. I haven't tested if melee win out under shaman buffs and or bard songs.
  12. Maurasi Journeyman

Can wiz mercs hit mobs 20+ levels higher than they are? That was my primary concern, that the wiz merc would be a wasted slot because at 70, it wouldn't be able to hit anything the 95/90 are hunting for XP.