TLP server recommendation for a new player

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ishmael, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Point taken but I would throw in one counterpoint: The shaman with group gear will have even less solo ability vs. the necro or druid. A shaman with raid gear is an entirely different animal.
  2. Efr3 Journeyman

ive decided on agnarr as my permanent server unless they open a new PoP locked TLP server. PoP locked is the most important thing they've given us to make the game like it was in the golden days of EQ. the changes made to the game after PoP are horrible imo. things like hotzones and defiant armor should never have been added or any kind of fast travel. EQ is my favorite game ever and the reason is because before those changes it was the most true to being like a real fantasy world that your character is in and the closest thing to a real RPG. ive owned the game since 1999. so trust me when i say that the game is better if you lock it at PoP. if you want to fast level and get noob armor and fast travel without having to use a spell etc then play on a non PoP locked server. imo those features ruin the game experience and immersion completely. when i play a mmorpg i want it to be like im playing a character in a fantasy world and have as little "gamyness" as possible. many people agree with me on this and most of them have been playing on p99 servers. agnarr is like a p99 server basically but better because its run by daybreak and so you have the security of knowing its not going to be shutdown anytime and you are also helping keep daybreak in business and EQ availiable by being all-access and supporting the game.
  3. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

Coirnav is great, and I've made it almost to 40 in a week and a half of just regular old grouping 4ish hours a night. Dunno why people gripe about Coirnav's xp rate. Doesn't seem very slow to me, certainly not painfully so. Also, I have been able to get a group in just a couple of minutes since level 1, so I don't know what you are on about nobody is leveling there. The server is literally packed from everything I've experienced so far.
  4. Gremin Augur

Coirnav has a lot of new players and with Luclin hitting that means people making BSTs.
  5. Delphwind Augur

As of tomorrow afternoon Coirnav is going to have a huge burst of low level people leveling up.

It is literally the best time to start on the server, other than the initial start of the TLP. With the Bazaar opening, a new race and a very popular class being released you are going to see so many low level groups popping for a few weeks.

Several of the top guilds are also recruiting right now for core raid slots, a couple days after launch and they will fill those slots quick.

Also, as this is the third expansion where the level cap is 60, you should be able to gear up quick in a guild that has off-night raids doing Velious content. Then you will be ready with the rest of your guild to tackle PoP as soon as it launches on Feb. 13th.
  6. Trevalon Augur

So you have played 4 hours!!! a night for the last lets say 10 nights, meaning you play around 30-40 hours a week, making you a super hardcore player number 1. Second you got to 40 in about 40 hours meaning your about 40% (that may be generous) of the way to 60, which means you have about 60-70 hours left to 60. Don't worry you'll get there. It will only take you 2 more weeks with your hardcore play hours - no big deal, I mean we all have a free 35 hours a week to play EQ right?

The EXP rate is terrible, It shouldn't take 100 hours to get to level 60 - At 15 hours a week (Most people I know tend to play around that) that is 6-7 weeks to get to 60. That's a LONG time to just be leveling.

That all being said for the OP: If you can stomach 100 hours to level 60, then play Coirnav - Agnarr is a dying server and will eventually just be a small handful of die-hards keeping it going. Much like EQMac.
    snailish likes this.
  7. a_librarian Augur

Yeah they've got a lot right with the TLP server concept they started with Phinny, but the slow xp is just a pointless barrier for people with less play time.

There's a problem when the weekly play time required to raid 3x a week is much lower than the weekly play time required to cap your level without missing one or more expansion eras. In my opinion, Agnarr's xp rate should be the standard for a 3 month cycle TLP
    snailish likes this.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

As always wait until the new server....it's the smarter play.

Even the thought of abusing the krono market for another 100 krono in a week isn't tempting enough to log in a few mules.
  9. Green_Mage Augur

Sounds like bad advise but it really isn't. They pretty much have to keep launching new TLPs relatively frequently (the gap between Agnarr and Coirnav was like year or less). I expect them to wait a little longer than last time for the new server announcement.

Coirnav is the most boring TLP server ever launched to date. The exp rate is on the slowest end of the TLP spectrum. If you want to experience Original EQ, Kunark and Velious -- the triology of classic EQ -- its already over on Coirnav. The top guild has a bad rep from previous servers -- which you can find all over the internet except this site due to stupid forum rules.

Corinav is going to die as soon as the new TLP server is announced for these reasons.

I'd just play Agnarr in the meantime if you want to play some EQ right now. It's time locked in PoP and has faster exp -- so it tends to attract a lot of people that play lots of alts.
  10. a_librarian Augur

no idea how you came to this conclusion. They haven't announced plans for the next TLP, people are just making assumptions of what it will be and when based on their own personal desire. There's already a niche for a lot of different interests between Lockjaw/Ragefire, Phinny, Agnarr and Coirnav and they all have a viable population.
  11. Kahna Augur

It actually doesn't. It is nothing like P99, a server that frequently has folks cycling through the lower levels. Agnarr had 17 people between levels 10 and 40 online last night. I am sure there are more folks on who are /anon, but still, that is hardly a number that screams "people are making tons of alts".
    snailish likes this.
  12. snailish Augur

I've been slow leveling on Agnarr due to my playtime restrictions. Most of the time 1-40 is pretty empty. It picks up quite a bit 40+. At the right times of day there is 30s groups in Gunthak and so on. Agnarr is the kind of server people can shelve for 6 months and then dabble on when they get bored elsewhere. Time will tell if it keeps enough population to be fun.

Agnarr XP is the minimum any future progression should be launched with. I contend XP should actually be much faster from the start. I think this would be a much better incentive/retention/reroll dynamic to have in play. Especially true when the under 30 game starts to empty out several weeks after a server launch --there's no point to a long grind to raid level (and PuG level with population).
  13. Elskidor Augur

This has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, complaint about Coirnav from the start. They'd bring in more paying players by increasing the xp rather than slowing it down in hopes of xp potion sales and driving people away. That's another primary reason EQ2's TLPs always flop shortly after they begin.
    snailish likes this.