TLP PvP Server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sham, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Tudadar Augur

Need arena put back in the baz
  2. Zalgorn New Member

Actually a large part of why pvp servers died out in EQ is due to lack of balancing of abilities for pvp and the power shift of later expansions to certain classes. Up to a certain point in expansion history there were many classes that were actually viable pvp'ers.

As new expansions came out however rogue's in particular started become extremely overpowered. Today the zek server is essentially just rogue's running around trying to one round each other.

A tlp pvp server would be viable up until it got to that point.
  3. James Augur

Same here, Probably the only thing that brings me back is a TLP PvP server
  4. Kattria Minx Augur

The main reason I suggested battleground/scenarios/structured instances is to avoid the inevitable tactic of PVPing someone down low enough so a mob could get the kill shot, thus the PC loses experience.

I see the argument about how the scenario instances get stale.

I'm former VZ myself, and one of the hated "Shanks" who did not cross team with -- and instead actively PVP'd against -- elves and shorties. :)
  5. James Augur

Why couldnt we do a standard progression for pvp with a long duration between expacs and maybe cap it off at a specific expansion before everything started getting all out of balance? Maybe just keep it classic old school pvp, maybe a TEAM pvp server like VZ and TZ?

Just Saying.
    snailish and Kittany like this.
  6. Kittany Augur

Heh. Lots of good times was had with Shanks, Combine Res and Red Shirts ;)
  7. Tomcat Journeyman

There is a pretty amazing eq pvp in the works too. Its in the middle of a season now so its kinda hard to get into it and get geared but I think the second season will be great for newer people to start out. Try checking it out at eq pvp dot com =) or send me a message if you want to chat about it.
  8. Batbener Augur

Since you don't really know what you are asking for with a TLP PvP server in EQ, let me explain what will happen. The total number of players is just pulled out of my , but I am using it as a reference, so don't bother to reply more or less will play.

Let's say 1000 people play on the server, 800 will join the same guild. Of those 800, 700 of them will be playing one of 4 classes. If that sounds like fun to you, keep asking for a PvP server...

But if you dream of some class balanced PvP game where there is honor and code and camps are protected "old school", and when someone steps out of line, the "community" deals with it, you are kidding yourself. No talent zergs will rule the day, or actually the month or two the server is up.
  9. Kahna Augur

Problem is, you assume that classes are balanced now, just because they were balanced years ago. They aren't. As the Mage Armies of 2015 taught us, classes aren't what they used to be. An EQ PvP TLP server would quickly go the way of the EQ2 PvP TLP server. Yes, they are two different games, but the core problems, class imbalances, exist in both. Frankly, the death of the EQ2 PvP server probably killed any chance of getting an EQ PvP server.
  10. Tomcat Journeyman

We got a new season on eq pvp dot com coming up. Check it out if you love the EQ pvp
  11. Fle2ch Elder

I am an old Vallon Zek player. Dougul Beastlord troll was my main. I had a great time back in those days but I am 50 years old next year not sure if I could handle all that stress again.
    I might be tempted if it was a race war server like Vallon, I have no attraction to random meaningless pvp though, race war or alignment good V evil ect might tempt me back.
    All I know is the amount of petitions and complaints the guides must get from a hotly contested pvp server must make it a pain in the so I bet they must dread making one.

I still play EQ on FV server and just recently Phinny TLP.
  12. Coach_Kegadin Augur

Yes!!! I love when people bump this thread!!!
  13. Maybach99 New Member

Having played TLP/Classic/Private PvP servers on and off since 06 or so, here's how it goes:

Server launch announced: Mass hype. Tons of people excited about the new server. All walks of EQ players from all sorts of servers get ready to reroll.

Server launches: Huge pop, nostalgia feels on 100, tons of little gearless chars running around in groups, mass PvP, tons of fun. Crushbone looks like a moshpit at a metal show.

Few weeks in: Population is noticeably down but still pretty good, largely because a casual/new EQ PvP player will get corpse camped about 1 time before they throw in the towel. The same ~100 or so players I've been server hopping with will be here and 2 to 3x the level and gear of the rest of the server (P99 has a teams PvP server in the works, this is the current egg most of these dudes are sitting on) . Like a formula - they know which camps, items, legacy camps, etc to sit at or farm out and when. The Casual/new pop crowd will just group and PvP occasionally.

2+ Months in: Population is 1/4 to 1/5 of launch. There's a severe divide in the player base. There will be a guild who is 60 and raiding the content lightyears ahead of the server curve. Your casual pop will be around the 30's or 40's. These players will have 2 choices: app to the 1 guild running the show, or ding in range to 60s and get facemelted trying everything. Especially if its a PvP TLP - initial spots for gear and XP are handcuffed.

Eventually the top dog guild will cannibalize and leadership will start fragmenting off to make new guilds. you'll just get the same Dog and Pony show with new tags. I played Tallon Zek on live, and I've tried chasing that dragon a thousand times but it ends the same way every time.
    snailish and Umul like this.
  14. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Good post from Maybach. Definitely a rhythm to this kind of thing. Gotta acknowledge it or you wind up with smashed expectation. Knowledge is power/The More You Know, etc.
  15. Umul Augur

All good points and solid information.

I wonder if a Red Phinny with all the same features as current Phinny would at least mitigate the usual pattern. In all fairness to the idea, a Red Phinny server would provide a unique environment for PVP.

Edit* Instancing the dragons and planes does equalize the sweet lewts. Leveling to cap would appear the hardest part of playing there imo.
  16. Jerluss New Member

Red Phinny. Make it happen!!!

Opposite of Phinny ( Water ) = Fire. Bring back Fennin Ro as PvP? :p
    Umul likes this.
  17. snailish Augur

PVPers could testdrive this concept somewhat:

Form 2 guilds on Quarm. Get flagged for PVP at the Priest of Discord. Fight.

Added bonus of unflagged "informants" all over the world.

You've got at least 5 weeks to try it.