TLP PvP Server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sham, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Rhodz Augur

We didnt play on the racial Zek until SoV/PoP and we had good and awful times.most of the bad times were a result of beginning so far behind. It really matters in an open world PvP environment.
    So rethinking the entire matter but no hope of anything sane being produced if at all.
  2. Tulgin Augur

Why would anyone 'not' want a PVP server? I'd probably try it out since I never played PVP servers back in the day, maybe I'd love it? I'd imagine it could be a pretty toxic environment, but no more than LJ / RF.
  3. Ersatz New Member

I know a lot of people that would absolutely come back and play on a PVP server. EQ has become a no-risk game of killing mobs ad nauseam. Nothing about the PVE game is challenging these days.

Want that hard to get item? Here you go, 3 Krono please.
  4. Rhodz Augur

Well I think most are just saying they see no point in it given the game was never a PvP friendly design.
    Which is absolutely true, PvP in EQ is a bit of a mess always has been. Maybe starting at zero might overcome that for enough to make it worth the expense, not my money so not my call.

Certainly would have to reconsider starting point as Classic would concentrate things a too much while PoP would spread it out far too much. Maybe a static server locked at SoV until DBG decides it would warrant further work. No one is calling the shots here on the forums and I'm unsure of who is any longer.
  5. Sham New Member

Classic is the best time to start, because it made things so concentrated. You had to battle and fight for zones/exp...it forced people to really work as a team and forged guilds to help each other. The first 3-4 months of VZ, and the first year of SZ were full of amazing newbie wars and later zone wide battles for control.

Who wouldn't enjoy that?
  6. Atomos Augur

Oh man guys, look at the whopping SINGLE DIGIT NUMBER of people in this thread that want a TLP PVP server. DBG better get started working on it right away!
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

With how toxic Phinigel is I would call that a PvP server. It's just not in the traditional sense!
    Sadsong likes this.
  8. Phased Sullon Zek Lorekeeper

Speedd actually recently still had a guild he was leader off on Tichondrius Alliance named "Sullon Zek". I made a level one character one day named "KirbanPK" to log in there and message him to have some fun with him for a bit lol.
  9. Sadsong Elder

Speed wasn't cool, he wasn't awesome - he was an idiot that ruined the entire server for 100's of players. He couldn't pvp all he did was train everyones raids, he isn't some type of legend. The second that drug addict came along and started on the server the population went to nothing strictly because of him. I will never forget the day that sony opened up transfers on Sullon Zek and the good team, and nuet team literally transferred off the server over night. The minute they opened up the server transfers Tides of Wrath, Black Crown and Black Prophecy all went to nothing. So many people transferred off the server they shut down server transfers the next DAY. It was never PVP on Sullon Zek it was you VS trains. The only server that would work PvP-wise is a Rallos Zek PvP system. In the beginning I played Sullon Zek because of how close it was to role-playing. Good Vs evil, vs nuets. If you wanted to kill a new player that option was open to you, but Speedd tried to copy cat fansy and ruined the whole server in the process. No nuet, or good team player would ever sign back up for that type of deal.

[IMG]
  10. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I call shenanigans on the Speedd-bashing. Bard PvP has always been about zone control, not killshots, and on SZ trains/disruption were legal. Speedd was the master of that particular moment in EQ history. A lot of things had to come together. Not just the SZ ruleset, but also the mechanics of bard PvP and griefing at that time. Lots of things that he used were nerfed not long after. Not because of him, but because of overall PvP concern about them. If circumstances would have been different, what he did would have been impossible.

Still: Nobody else could do it, and that's the definition of a kind of skill. Whether he was good at PvP, or at zone disruption/zone control (and what the difference is on a sever like SZ when you're playing a group-oriented PvP class)--it doesn't matter. The guy was able to lock down an entire server. Everything you cited as being a bad thing about him proves the point that he was a once-in-a-generation phenomenon. For months and months on end, he logged in every night and broke the server. I can't think of another EverQuest player who was a server-breaking presence, night in, night out.

As for calling him a drug addict: I don't think it's true, from what I know of him IRL, and it's obviously an awful/unnecessary thing to say about someone because your feelings are hurt over a video game.

If you think RZ didn't have shenanigans, you have some serious rose-colored glasses on. The guild I was in had a pocket GM, and that's why our side of the Rebirth war wound up getting favorable GM enforcement and winning. Half the server's power players (including most of its best top-end PvPers) were run out of the game due to GM corruption. And that's just one instance of RZ being a cesspool. It was a lot of fun, and I certainly agree it was a better server than SZ, but it wasn't what you make it out to be.
  11. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Also - ROFL at notion that Speedd was a Fansy copycat.
  12. Pictarous Augur

Yeah it's almost a month on the dot. Keep on keeping on, you 9 or so people.
  13. Pictarous Augur

I'd say, with you listing 5 retired characters in a loooooong dead server, that you are coming out of the proverbial woodwork to defend a game type that has died several deaths in Everquest. If EQ pvp was viable, you'd still have servers of people willing to play. You don't. All have died off, hard.

EQ pvp was new and novel - in 2000. It has always been a broken mess.

People don't want a pvp server because the people who actually play viable game types don't want what little resources exist to be stretched even further to create a server for what is categorically a dead way to play.
  14. Sadsong Elder

What are you even talking about? Nerfed? You have no clue what you're talking about. Speedd trained Sullon Zek until it was merged into ZEK. Amtrack was a great bard trainer and so was Worry. Clerics were really good at training too. The only one that did it 24/7 was Speedd. Biggest loser to ever play EQ = Speedd. It didn't matter if it was a group or raid he would train. He never pvped. Volaki was by far the best bard on Sullon and she PvP'ed "she didn't train the zone, for zone control," she would just kill you. He wasn't a master at anything other than hacking/warping. Speedd bragged about doing drugs in game. GM corruption? lol, okay.
  15. Korillo Augur

Wow EQ PvP sounds like a super fun and healthy environment. I'm sure everyone here is just itching for a server like this to get started again.
    Azbaelus and Rhiyannon like this.
  16. Sadsong Elder

Also, you're suggesting that someone causing other people to quit (lockdown a server) was some how a good thing.Gee, I wonder why so many people want to play on ZEK. (wait, no one does). Speedd wasn't awesome, he was a special kind of stupid.
  17. Rhodz Augur

Seems lots of them.
  18. Gator34 New Member

Pvp on eq was ruined because M Q was allowed to run rampant, the damage output became too overpowering, and skill and ability became less and less important. If third party programs were monitored correctly and steps were taken to keep the classes balanced and unable to one-shot everyone, then zek would be the most popular server. Sorry, but its true. Eq pvp, esp a rz type ruleset, hasnt been equaled in any other game. If you oppose that, fine, back off and stick to the pve threads. But opening a progression based pvp server, or actually putting work into balancing pvp in eq would lead to a huge influx of players. Anyone who has ever played on zek, rz, sz, tz, or vz knows how many people would come running back. Its up to DB if they want to make it a reality or not. Not you forum warriors.
  19. Korillo Augur

You are basically saying that you think EQ PvP was the best PvP that any game has ever had and has never be rivaled (at least RZ type ruleset), and anyone who doesn't agree can off.

It's great to have an opinion but I think you are overestimating just how good the PvP was (there was a reason there were far more PvE servers than PvP servers). They also aren't going to put in the amount of work that would be required to relive the RZ PvP experience as it was back then - it would just be an unreasonably large effort and not worth their time. So I wouldn't be holding my breath if anyone is actually waiting on a PvP progression server.
  20. James Augur

If they make a TEAM PvP TLP server I would drop everything on Phinny and go there right away. Team PvP was simply amazing on Vallon Zek until SOE listened to all the Carebears QQing and nerfed the server to death thus ruining it.