TLP Proposal

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by LarsBars, Nov 16, 2017.

1. LarsBars New Member

Here's the TLP server i'd really like to play on for a long time. Im guessing that there are many others like me (though they maybe aren't subscribed now due to the current nature of TLP servers).

TLP Server which locks at Velious.
    Unlock time is a fraction of original duration between expansions, perhaps half of what it took for the expansions to really unlock back in the day.
    Allow for dual boxing, but no more.
    Allow people to transfer off to any TLP which has progressed past Velious whenever they like.

Even when I played everquest I never made it to the level caps. I'm a casual gamer but I played everquest for years and loved it. I didn't really get to experience any of the higher end content but i'd love to. I eventually made it to level 60-65 during PoP but started to get really bored with the game. I feel like PoP represented a different play style than the previous expansions.

If we locked the server at Velious, it's likely we'd get a lot more casual players who would put consistent time into playing because their accomplishments would not be de-valued by the fast pace of expansion releases. I'm 33 on lockjaw and any loot I get is basically complete garbage compared to what I can find in the bazaar for 25pp.

I'd bet many of the more hard core gamers would keep a character or two on this server to play around with.

I think the move towards limiting people who box or bot is a great idea. I think we've sort of thrown the baby out with the bathwater though. I'd never be worried or offended to see someone two or even 3 boxing characters. We only really care when someone has 6 mages. Being able to two box allows me to do some content solo in between having groups available.
    It currently feels like the only people to play on TLP servers is the aggressive raid types. Even more so than original everquest. I bet there's a large untapped customer base out there who would play casually given the right circumstances.

Thoughts?
  2. Machentoo Augur

No.

We have had the chance to play classic-Velious plenty of times in the last 2 years. It is enough.
    Xanadas likes this.
  3. RandomStrategy Augur

www.project1999.com

That already exists.

It is the fate of what your server would become, and to be honest, far down the line, what Agnarr will become.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Man, 2 weeks just fly by.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  5. LarsBars New Member

Oh, looks like project1999 is what i'm asking for exactly. Anyone have feedback or thoughts on it?
  6. Benedictous Journeyman

I hope you don't like raid loot cause you will never see it there (no instances). No krono so plat farming is the only way to get items (krono actually keep prices in check if you don't believe me play P1999 and check prices), but there isn't a lot of currency destruction so inflation is rampant.

Limited raid targets and dungeon space makes for an extremely competitive environment w/ all the attitude to go along with it. Not a for profit company so expect to see random bans for anyone who makes a comment not approved of by the devs (any "private" server).

Uhhh what else....its free? (one of their files always set off my antivirus)
  7. LarsBars New Member

So it's got it's own set of problems. I guess nothings perfect for everyone :p Maybe ill try agnarr for now.
  8. jeskola pheerie

How about a beta-locked server?
    Project 1998: The Revenge of 989 Studios
    Kattria Minx and Punchu like this.
  9. snailish Augur

If you are really set on a Velious-lock and don't want to go P99...

Start a velious locked guild on Agnarr. Since one can only progress a bit beyond that point in the future anyways, you are more likely to actually have people follow the self-imposed ruleset. Not sure how many people that would be, but you can try.*

*Rodcet Nife server had a guild <Claws of Coldain> that followed this concept for a few years iirc, though pretty sure they were down to a few rarely-played alts by LDoN era.
    Mashef_8013 likes this.
  10. Machentoo Augur

In the past it has been really hard to do something like this effectively, because it only takes one level 100 to show up and mess up your level 60 velious raid. Piss off one ex-guild member and they can wreck your whole deal. But on Agnarr, with both level 65 cap AND instanced raids, it should be doable. You can even see if anyone is cheating and earning aa's by comparing achievements. And there should be plenty of velious era gear being bought and sold to even have a pseudo-economy (although you may have to cheat and go to the bazaar to buy it.)

If there is enough interest (I don't think there is) make it happen.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and snailish like this.
  11. Darchias Augur

I would honestly rather have the opposite, where the next TLP starts at Velious and goes from there, or at least has Classic and Kunark on shorter schedules than the rest.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  12. LarsBars New Member

I'm curious as to why. Have you done that content one too many times or prefer the feel of the game post velious?
  13. Machentoo Augur

They have started three different sets of servers that started in classic in the last two years. A lot of people have played classic-velious two or three times now, recently. I think many of us are sick of this content at this point, yes.
  14. LarsBars New Member

Additionally, what do people think of the other proposal I made about dual-boxing? Why not allow two players on the same machine but no more. Perhaps too hard for the devs to implement?
  15. Darchias Augur

Because there isn't a point to limiting same-machine boxing to just two. The True-box code already can be a bit over-sensitive. Honestly it sounds like that's something you added because you want to box but aren't willing to go full ham and compete with the boxers on Live, while also not wanting to go to a true-box server and just play on two computers. It's a shallow request that you want to fulfill your specific desires rather than anything you think will positively affect the server as a whole.
    Marek-EQ likes this.
  16. Machentoo Augur

Why 2? Why not 6?
  17. Tinytinker Augur

You say you got bored playing casually up to POP. What makes you think you wouldn't get bored being trapped indefinitely in Velious?
  18. LarsBars New Member

I meant to stress that PoP is what became sort of boring. I was having fun with the prior content though I was moving through it slowly.

As for why two boxing? I want to be able to play two characters on my one machine and that's a selfish desire for sure but i wouldn't be surprised if others had the same desire? I'm also assuming the true-box code was created to stop people from doing things like using teams of mages to take down content that was originally designed for a real group. In forcing people to only have 1 character per machine it seems like they went a little overboard if that was the original goal.
  19. LarsBars New Member

I can of course also come up with a narrative for why dual-boxing is good for the server. It generally allows people who can't rely on grouping and don't want to rely on slow soloing to keep progressing through the game at their pace. This helps to keep server population up and generally makes more characters available to grouping. If the server population will always be a fraction of what it was back in the day, then allowing people to play 2 or even 3 characters at a time helps to compensate.
  20. Ootax Augur

How about a TLP that starts at TSS and goes from there, enough of the Classic-Velious stuff, we've had enough that went through that already.