TLP idea

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blacktaco, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Blacktaco New Member

What if we didn't have TLP servers, but have SOE open up to 5 servers (PoP) for the first year. Here is where it gets interesting.
    Server #1 is EQ classic

Server #2 Classic-Kunark

Server #3 Classic-Velious

Server #4 Classic-Luclin

Server #5 Classic-PoP
    Once you reach the max level for that expansion you can put in a request to transfer to the next server/expansion.

Not only would this attract old players, for it would also increase subs.
  2. Cakeny Augur

Been suggested before, IMO slim chance of them doing this due to needing continual montioring from SOE for the transfers.
    Vouivre likes this.
  3. Sleppen Augur

Yep, there's another poster who has been pushing this sort of system for awhile now. If SOE hasn't been willing to give you one classic server, why would you expect them to give you five?
  4. Cakeny Augur

Might have better luck if it was something similar to testcopy and not a true transfer.
  5. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I dont remember who orignialy came up with this idea, but i mentioned it in another thread... I dont think transfers would be a big issue, they could do something simmilar to the charater transfer tokens on the marketplace and it wouldnt take that much monitoring from the devs.. I think you have the content spread out alittle too much tho these are the server setups that i sugested

Server A - Classic, kunark, velious.
    Server B - Luclin, Pop, GoD, OoW (loy & ldon)
    Server C - DoN, DoDh, PoR, TSS
    Server D - TBS, SoF, SoD, UF
    Server E - HoT, VoA, RoF + anything new
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think doing something like that would just get you 5 servers with low population because people would just end up getting spread out among the 5 servers.
  7. Toquillaw Augur

Yeah, plus there is the assumption that people would uproot from their guilds and join the next servers guilds. After all, the guilds wouldn't/couldn't migrate with the players. So there would be turnover in members for the guilds, with people leaving at random times as they get bored with current content.

The idea works fine as long as everyone is either completely independent or the guilds members agree completely about when to move to another server ... just to add content.
  8. Nolrog Augur

Been suggested like a dozen times before. Within a short amount of time, Server 1 is barren. Then server 2 is barren. Then server 3 is barren as people move on to the next servers. Then why would I start on server 1 when everyone is on server 3? Hey, my friends just talked me back into joining, but they are on server 4, so it will be sometime before I can join them. /gu Hey guild, I'm back, I was on vacation for 2 weeks., what's going on? Where's everyone? What do you mean they moved to server 3? It's a bad idea for a number of reasons.

It would be far better if they made a server that goes up to Luclin (maybe up to POP, maybe up to Luclin but includes LDoN and Loy or something) and then just stays there. The whole idea of getting to the end of one server and then people moving to another quickly becomes unworkable and a problem.
  9. Duron New Member

Instead of having multiple servers, SOE should make a server where content is only unlocked for the people who actually beat the raid (or perhaps do an endgame group quest once the raid has been beaten by someone). That way people will get spread out across all the content and people can progress as fast as they choose. This way the game is act-locked kind of like diablo.
  10. Cakeny Augur

They refuse to make a quest for each class, doubt they would make even more quests just for prog server.
  11. Vouivre Augur

Except a problem occurs when one "act" doesn't get populated enough. People have a hard time finding people to complete the quest or quests. This has happened on regular servers for years.
  12. Nolrog Augur

This also becomes quickly unworkable. When people are in Anguish, will they want to come back and help me clear ToV so I can progress? And the you have people blowing through content and in much later expansions before others are through luclin. This spreads the people out way too much.
    Vouivre likes this.
  13. Tallor Lorekeeper

Yes idea has been discussed for years. There is no bigger proponent for it than myself. All data indicate this implementation would be enormously successful for SOE. But they are too busy and/or can't be bothered.
  14. Vouivre Augur

Which data is that?
    SALTDOG likes this.
  15. Trevalon Augur

Does anyone REALLY think that A) Sony would ever do this and B) this would actually be a good idea?

The population on the current TLP is hardly enough to maintain 2 servers as Vulak is pretty much dead. Lets now take those people and split them into 4 separate servers. Bleh, what a terrible idea.

The only good idea I have seen is having 2 servers one a faster progression (every 30 days) and one a slower progression (Every 90 days).
  16. Tallor Lorekeeper

Well sir, as you know the enormous population filling both progression servers left shortly after old world became irrelevant... Can't look at the pop now and say divide that by four.

The progressive server structure is a long term recruitment tool; something that continually brings players back to the game as opposed to the short lived gimmic that is a sever which itself progresses.
  17. Vouivre Augur

TLPs are definitely successful, but to say that implementation of the idea in this thread would be successful is a stretch. No one can know as it would have numerous problems.
  18. Sleppen Augur

So the same "enormous population" that voted to open the expansions left because the expansions opened? Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

There were undoubtedly some people who left because the expansions opened. From my experience on Combine and Fippy, a lot more people left because they'd had their nostalgia fix and were ready to move on.
    Vouivre likes this.
  19. Tallor Lorekeeper

Forgetting something, aren't you Sleppen? Actually I think your omission is intentional.

The "server" did not vote to progress. A lot of players were not permitted to vote.
  20. Sleppen Augur

You mean the people who didn't play enough to reach level 30 in three months, even though they knew that they needed to be level 30 to vote on Kunark? Sure, that's true. Are you going to tell us that this was your "enormous population"? If so, the idea of creating three to five servers for that "enormous population" just became laughable.