[TLP Idea] Seasonal Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Risiko Augur

Since everyone feels the need to post what they would like to see for a new TLP server, I want to throw one out there too. Why not? It's the in thing to do these days right.

Seasonal TLP Server
    • Lifespan: Lasts for exactly 10 months each year before being wiped clean
    • Starts: March 16th of every year
    • Ruleset: Truebox, Mangler exp rate, AoC
    • Starting Expansion: Ruins of Kunark
    • June 1st: Scars of Velious
    • August 1st: Shadows of Luclin (exp rate increase for AAs)
    • October 1st: Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, and Lost Dungeons of Norrath (exp rate increase)
    • December 1st: Gates of Discord and Omens of War opens (bump to Selos exp rate)
    • Achievement: Max level reached (for Gates of Discord)
    • Achievement: Max AA reached (for Gates of Discord)
    • Achievement: Epic 1.0 completed
    • Achievement: Epic 2.0 completed
    • Achievement: One for killing each expansion's final raid boss
    • Reward: Based on the number of Seasons TLP achievements completed, get claimable items for any server (visual stuff like hats, mounts, etc)
    • January 1st to 31st, when you login to the server, you are instantly ported to the Plane of Knowledge, and can not leave that zone by any means. The only thing you can do is transfer your character to any Live server of your choice.
    • February 1st: The server is wiped clean
    • Repeat once a year
  2. PVPme Augur

A truebox Seasonal server would be extremely successful imo.
    Brunlin likes this.
  3. Tymeless Augur

not an awful idea. maybe have more achievements that you are that become account claimable. So those playing on other tlps can claim things that are aesthetically pleasing etc.
  4. ECrack Augur

The only thing that would make this idea better is if it was PvP. Seasons for blue doesn't make sense, but it would be amazing for a PvP server. Yummmmmmm

Can I get a "never gonna happen" comment plz? Thx.
    Dulu, Brawl and PVPme like this.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Some of that sounds nice.

Get rid of expansion unlocks. Just make the server locked to a final expansion, say PoR. Set EXP and Named rates to Selos tier.

Have achievements along the way with increasing value. Add achievements for longer quest items. Vex Thal Key, Signet Earring of Veracity, Binden of Concernsentia, Aid Grimel Earring, Secret of the Planes, LDON Aug max, Breakdown in Communication, CoAnguish Signets, 6 MPG trials, 5/5 DoN Progression, DoDH Skull of Den Lord, PoR Divine Fetters, PoR Orb Augment, Epic 1.0, 2.0.

Use a similar reward scheme to the Quarm server. Either you get a chunk of AAs or raid currencies you can bring to another server. Just change it so that accomplishing multiple achievements scales up your reward unlike how on Quarm doing the group and raid achievements resulted in the same reward. This will draw bored live players and players who quit their TLPs and keep the server active for awhile.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Never gonna happen (until it does).
    ECrack and Dulu like this.
  7. Fraggly Augur

Seasonal Truebox would be an amazing thing, unfortunately many posts have been shot down with something along the lines of "knowing my things will be deleted/reset is demotivating, i don't want to play that". The "new server rush" seems to be the driving force that some claim wouldn't exist on a reset server. It seems moreso like the realization that they enjoy repeating the same thing over and over and over causes some sort of cognitive dissonance. Just accept it, it's not new anymore! Seasonal is the way.

The preference of most is to simply leave a character behind forever as long as they know that if they ever wanted to, even though they won't, they could return. A seasonal truebox to capture the early game crowd would allow both PvP and standard TLPs to have chances.
  8. ImaginaryFriend New Member

I could get behind a server like this. I'm not sure they need a month and a half to wipe the servers though so you might be able to extend playtime until the end of February. I'm not sure you need to lock people in PoK for the entire month of January either, tbh.
  9. markkk Lorekeeper

only issue its the 10 months what will we do for the other 2 months so 12 months his better, and maybe also let those people at the end transfer to a live server.
  10. Gemstoner Elder

How about an escalating start seasonal server? Each reset it starts over either in the next expansion from start or the next one after end? So say Classic to LDON, then Kunark to GoD and so on .... or the second option would be GoD to XYZ expansion and so on? With achievements boosting the next restart?

It might be the only way I'd ever get to live without my brain exploding lol.
  11. johncritons Journeyman

i want a christmass themed tlp where u kill santa for fat loots
  12. Gemstoner Elder

LOL, that's what I honestly thought people meant when I first heard the term. Then someone posted with a longer explanation ... but yeah, I was confused as to why folks would want a holiday themed server.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What if....

EQ took a leaf out of it's own book but expanded on the idea a lot.

Seasonal server, rewards from achievements on the seasonal server grant you something that you can use on your account on other servers (be they Live or TLP), much like how the Quarm event server awarded an XP potion for both the Quarm event server & a potion claimable on one other server.

If we had a rolling 6 month event server where playing there could get you some fun things on your main server, clickie illusions, merc contracts, housing items, mounts, ornaments etc. etc., I think it could prove quite attractive as an experience, the crowd for a "classic" server is clearly one of the larger ones & they pretty much recycle themselves already by way of server hopping from new TLP to new TLP, an incentive for those who may be bored or having a dull patch on another server may find the option of some cool things for taking part on this seasonal server could help retain them as a player even perhaps.
  14. Brunlin Augur

We had a event server it was Quarm, they created Brekt a Free trade server to be the receiving server for toons at the end of a event server. Seasonal server would operate like a event server...either allow Brekt to be the server to receive all toons at the end of a season, or create another server more tailored for this seasonal server for this purpose.
    Fraggly likes this.
  15. ECrack Augur

I actually like this, one server that all TLP's can feed into when they die. But it would have to be refined. I like the idea though. Call it Valhalla lol
  16. MMOer Augur

I LOVE THIS IDEA! PERFECT!

Here are my notes

Lifespan: Lasts for exactly 10 months each year before being wiped clean
    --Why not 11 or 12 months?
    Starts: March 16th of every year
    -- perfect
    Ruleset: Truebox, Mangler exp rate, AoC
    -- perfect
    Starting Expansion: Ruins of Kunark
    -- YES YES YES! Perfect
    June 1st: Scars of Velious
    -- ok but June 16th just to make it 3 months each expansion.
    August 1st: Shadows of Luclin (exp rate increase for AAs)
    -- June 16th September 16th = 3 months
    October 1st: Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, and Lost Dungeons of Norrath (exp rate increase)
    -- Dec 16th = 3 months
    December 1st: Gates of Discord and Omens of War opens (bump to Selos exp rate)
    -- I'd just end it at PoP/LoY and let it ride there till wipe. Give people time to raid up, epic up, gear up, and overall have fun on the server before wipe.

January 1st to 31st, when you login to the server, you are instantly ported to the Plane of Knowledge, and can not leave that zone by any means. The only thing you can do is transfer your character to any Live server of your choice.
    -- No need to waste a whole month with xfers. Just dump all characters to a designated POP Locked TLP when the server wipes. Either new or one of the old ones, don't matter. Let them either stay or they have 30 days to xfer to any live non-TLP server from the time they first logon.
    -- You do not want peoples characters deleted for any reason ever. They should be able to come back 5 years from now and it is still there waiting for them.
    -- Names will need to be cross server locked/reserved to avoid naming conflicts to the output TLP POP lock server.

February 1st: The server is wiped clean. Repeat once a year
    -- Make it March 14th or what ever is the min time the devs need to do the exfer and wipe. No need to kill so much playtime.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quoting myself as I thought to add something but can;t edit my original post:

Seasons could have different rewards each time.

Season 1 could be unique mounts

Season 2 unique ornaments (visible slots or weapons)

Season 3 unique Merc contracts

Etc. (something akin to how Diablo III has seasonal characters maybe)
  18. Crabman Augur

Here's my thoughts for a seasonal TLP - and I want to keep the conversation going cause I think its an awesome idea!! I also am going to piggyback off MMOer and give my two cents to each bullet.

(Slower) Seasonal TLP Server
    • Lifespan: Lasts for exactly 10 months each year before being wiped clean
      • I also feel like this should be as close to reset as possible. no need for 2 months off(I hope)
    • Starts: March 16th of every year
      • Thats fine (Unless we are talking about this year then lets say June 1st)
    • Ruleset: Truebox, Mangler exp rate, AoC
      • Perfect (maybe a little slower than Mangler, since I am having slower unlocks in mind)
    • Starting Expansion: Ruins of Kunark
      • I would be fine with Classic. IMO Gates and Omens is too far so I would say start in classic.
    • June 1st: Scars of Velious
      • Im going off June 1st Start and am no going as far so I am going to change things from here
      • June 1st Start in Classic
      • August 1st: Rise of Kunark
      • November 1: Scars of Velious
      • February 1: Shadow of Luclin unlock
      • And thats it! 4 months to get VT key and Raid there until reset
    • Achievement: Epic 1.0 completed (this should be within the rewards)
    • Reward: Based on the number of Seasons TLP achievements completed, get claimable items for any server (visual stuff like hats, mounts, etc)
      • I even think mounts is too big of a thing to be rewarded. I think titles and Ornaments should be the only things given year to year
      • Different things should be given for different achievements (just playing in multiple seasons, Epic 1.0, different raid mobs, Possibly even Epic 1.0 on multiple characters on the Account
    Like others said, love the ARPG's (diablo 3, Path of Exile) that do this. and in EQ there is a big difference for everyone leveling/grinding versus all max level raiding and getting loots.
    When people get burned out from same content raiding, they want leveling again and at the end of the day, Alts aren't the same as that reset button. When yelling out CC and a 60 dru responds "Whole Zone!"... that sucks. But when a full group is wiping in Crushbone cause out rusty weapons aren't quite good enough to kill 2 legionnaires at once... man that's whats fun...