TLP Expansions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by BudLightKnight, Oct 9, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

You can't ignore microtransactions. That's the elephant in the room.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Dahaman Augur

Agreed, but which way do they fall?

My guess was that they favor TLPs. I left them out to highlight that expansions are not that big of an effect as revenue source compared to subscriptions. If they favor TLPs, then it was a conservative stance. If they favor live servers, then it's not. If they are the same, the TLP revenue is simply going to get closer and closer to 50%.
  3. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

MMO PVE can never offer any thing truly challenging from a gameplay difficulty standpoint. The genre is limited the amount of button you're allowed via GCD as well as the mobility your toon can have. You can never have an MMO be mechanically difficult like a hard Platformer, FPS, MOBA, or even have the insane multitasking of an RTS.

Ability bloat, Mudflation, Class and Item homogenization are all RPG killers. The social aspect as well as immersion also really matter and that's much more the reason people quit
    Mithra likes this.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

True you actually have to pay for the game to play on TLP.
  5. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Look at the baseline. Nowhere (that I know of) has it been stated that TLP subs equal, or are close to equaling Live subs. Nor does it state that TLP Revenue is equal or close to equaling Live revenue. The only thing that can be interpreted that was was "they're almost equal to each other now in numbers."

So what does that mean? The same amount of people between Live/TLP? How is that determined? Same number of subs? Active or or both active/inactive? Recently active? Revenue? How do they know who's boxing? How many are boxing? How many boxes are they boxing? Also how does one (non-employee) determine where microtransactions are more commonly taking place?

What I'm getting at is that the statement was vague and doesn't really tell us much of anything, and there are too many variables to make assumptions.

Also, the REAL elephant in the room here is the fact that the original proposition that started this thread is dumb. Like...really dumb. Mindblowingly dumb. I really don't know if I could possibly overstate how dumb it is. There are a lot of better and more cost-effective ways to improve upon the game.
    Genoane likes this.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

The amount of people playing only TLPs that buy live expansion bundles for bags and stuff might surprise you.
  7. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Care to show us the slide from the staff meeting that shows that amount?
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Where is your citation that says live makes more? Just curious, you seem like you have a ton of insider information.

Just my experience from guilds i've been in. New expansion drops and more the half my guild buys the bundles for all the goodies. It's gotta be much easier to sell 40 slot bags and store mounts to people that don't have them vs those that already have a ton of that stuff on live.
  9. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Feel free to link my post where I said live makes more. I'll wait.

Anecdotal evidence is a fallacious form of reasoning.
    Anecdotal evidence (also proof by selected instances, or, more pejoratively, anecdata) is use of one or more anecdotes (specific instances of an event; stories) to either support or refute a claim. The use of anecdotal evidence to draw a conclusion is like using the NBA all-star teams to estimate the average height of Americans.

Whereas anecdotal evidence is sometimes the starting point of a proper scientific investigation, it is all too often the ending point and every point of a pseudoscientific investigation. In the world of pseudoscience, an anecdote is the equivalent of a peer-reviewed, double-blind, repeatable scientific experiment with consistent results.
    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Oof talking about fallacies when you don't know what a fallacy is. Yikes
    Xanathol likes this.
  11. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Sure I do. What you just did there was ad-hominem.
    Argumentum ad hominem (from the Latin, "argument to the person") is an informal logical fallacy that occurs when someone attempts to refute an argument by attacking the claim-maker, rather than engaging in an argument or factual refutation of the claim. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_hominem

I
    think it's time for you to put down the shovel, sir.
  12. Machen New Member

Not necessarily, or they would likely have reverted to the subscription model on live.
  13. Machen New Member

You really have to pay for the game to play on live too, at least if you want to play in the content that most live players are playing in. Plus you have to buy the expansions, which isn't insignificant.
  14. That0neguy Augur

So there is no "source" for the revenue statement. They stated it at a panel at GDC this year and GDC did not release the slides. Below are some notes from the panel.

15. Midnitewolf Augur

I totally agree. I am struggling on Selo at the moment because despite the fast progression, I feel I can't catch up. I just started back recently so like 98% of server is level 70 and even at level 65-66 it is hard to get a group when they can readily chose a level 70 easily enough and solo, depending on the class, can be real challenging or just downright slow and tedious at the very least.

Then there is the AA and Flagging. The guild I joined requires a minimum of 500 AA which means even with autogrant, I will still need to grind around 200-250 AAs. We did have a open, no requirement raid the other night......but nope, couldn't participate because I wasn't flagged and it looks like it will probably take me at least several weeks to get flagged because the guild is already flagged and no one (except a few newbies like me) still needs a flag. Basically I am forced to rely on PUG's to get my signets to get flagged. Also there are a few, what I consider critical spells, in the 65-70 range that I will need, except they are the result of drops on raids, which I can't do because I am not flagged. I am not criticizing my guild by the way, I am just pointing out the daunting hurdle I have to overcome just to be able to participate in the same content they are currently engaging.

All in all it gets very overwhelming when I consider just how much I have to do in order to just be able to raid with my guild, especially when the vast majority of those tasks require help from a playerbase that has already completed those tasks and has no interest in going back and doing it all over again. It gets even more overwhelming when I consider my job tends to require me to be out of town and unable to play EQ quite often.

So yeah I absolutely agree the major issue and why people quit has to do with progression. You just don't have a huge influx of new player coming into the game ensuring that you always have someone level and progression appropriate you can group with and once you fall behind the curve in terms of gearing and flagging, it is a steep if not impossible climb to get back level with everyone else.
  16. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yes. The problem is with the game. It has nothing to do with you, the guilds you join, the incompatibility between you and your guild, or the incompatibility between you and the server ruleset you chose.

Definitely the game.
    Machen likes this.
  17. Machen New Member

I'd suggest boxing so that you can do what you need to do to catch up and eveentually play with real people doing the things they want to do. This sort of thing is exactly why boxing is appealing--there is a whole lot of stuff to do in game that no one is going to want to do with you.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Live also has expansion sales that can be something in the area of 35 to 140 dollars per account less development costs.

Are all the things in the Live marketplace available for purchase in TLP? Asking because I don't know but if not Live may also have higher marketplace sales because there are more items to buy. Or are people restarting over and over on TLP rebuying the same items over and over? My guess would be that people constantly restarting on a new TLP might be less likely to make marketplace purchases that dont move with them but I could be wrong.

And when Holly quotes Live versus TLP is she only considering paid accounts? Which would make sense as adding in FTP wouldn't be an equivalent comparison.

And if Holly is only comparing paid accounts then there would be all the additional micro transactions from FTP accounts.
  19. Machen New Member

Yes, and yes. Live has a bunch of stuff on marketplace that TLP's don't have, especially the stuff for FTP characters, housing stuff, some later era mounts, etc. Some of the stuff that generally only is available on live becomes available very late into the expansions on TLP's.

But, TLP players do tend to restart a lot, and buy some of the same stuff over and over. Especially bags and xp pots. I would guess the sale of XP pots on the TLP's vastly exceeds live.
    Oakenblade and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So then part of the question would be do TLPers buy enough stuff over and over to compare to Live that has more items for sale and the knowledge that once they buy something they keep it so might tend to buy more. Maybe we will find this one out during another interview.