Tips to increase pet aggro? (Mage earth pet)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Nov 12, 2016.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

So I got my lvl 104 Earth pet, it tanks great, but aggro is not super, especially compared to RS-pets, that end up tanking a lot. I don't have that issue with the Air pet. I am maxing out pet AA, but I think it also increase swarm pets.

Any tips? I read somewhere that rage swords did not generate significantly more aggro than normal proc swords, so using these, but that might be a problem?

Any bazaar items I could give the pet that would have a good impact?

Any spells?

Thanks in advance
  2. shruggz Elder

I could be mistaken, but I think mage dicho spell causes serious decrease in pet agro. I give earth pet rage swords and takes agro from tank merc with max aa. and when I use the dicho spell tank merc gets and holds agro. I personally like the pet and merc to bounce back and forth it allows me a little extra heal time, I would suggest just trying with the rage swords and using your dicho spell situationally and see if your agro problems go away. apart from that I'm not sure what you could give the pet to help increase its agro.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  3. Piemastaj Augur

One of the main niches of our Garg pets is they are intended to take aggro from our main pet. It improves tanking and allows us to keep our main pet up much longer in more dire situations.

If you use Virulent Talon it will allow your pet to get aggro and keep it off of your garg, but the Earth pet will lose every time no matter what you do without short term discs on it. And you want it to lose out, Gargs are much easier to recast.
    Goranothos and IblisTheMage like this.
  4. Ryanxp Augur

1. Wasn't this issue addressed and fixed 6 months ago?

2. Mages can summon Hate Increasing weapons.

3. Tell your "group" to not Taunt.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. Sancus Augur

They heavily nerfed pet aggro and then "fixed" it by making pet taunt actually work. Taunt helps them regain aggro, but they lose it far more often than before.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

7. Goranothos Augur

What @Piemastaj said. You want the RS pets to occasionally take agro. Makes healing the main pet much easier. Also, use the RS pets to pull agro on adds when you are pet tanking.

I pet tank with 104 earth with two rage swords and have no complaints regarding agro. 101 air does keep agro better, but not worth it, IMO, if you are fighting hard hitting mobs and/or getting adds on your pulls.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Yimin Augur

You can buy Stormguard Mask for pet , this adds %22 percent more hate for every action pet does , cost 140 pieces of eight off of Yllethil Starsun in Tempest Temple .... with this set up , I have merc on full burn and pet does not lose agro using hate swords hehe , I also give her the haste belt from here , also pet can use all weapons from this npc well all but 2 hand weapons ....

Yi Min Omen of war
    Goranothos, Rorce and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. kthehammy Elder

are there any other similar masks that are easier to acquire? Maybe with another currency?
  10. Yimin Augur

Sorry I can not recall at this time ..if it says attunable pet can use any item but no 2 hand weapons

Yi Min
  11. kthehammy Elder

Hmm ok, good to know. I did a quick search for items with that same echo of anger focus and the only other attunable item i found was
    Whitepaw's Faceplate of Realized Nightmares

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=93608

I will check later if this can be purchased from one of the HA vendors in EWK.
  12. kthehammy Elder

I checked the EWK merchants and it is not sold there.
  13. fransisco Augur

suggesting using current raid gear is not really a realistic way to increase agro for 95% of players
  14. Cicelee Augur

A magician could always look at the aggro meter and stop casting damage spells if s/he gets too close or goes over 100.
  15. Brohg Augur

None of the items discussed are raid gear at all, let alone current.
  16. Yimin Augur

Why stop once you peek on the agro meter , hit your mage fade and kick out more dps and or hit a FD pot , ahh ways to peek dps , walk that razor and you to will be an EQ hero , oh don't get me started on burn macro and multi bind keys ....

Yi Min

Ps do not wait until you are summoned to use mage fade and or fd pots hehe
  17. Cicelee Augur

Thank you for that advice. It is wonderful to know that when the magician community has any questions pertaining to the class, they can look to Yimin for help. I know I will.
    Vdidar likes this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

I have been playing with Aggro-masks that I bought in /baz, and it really does all the difference.

The problem is that there are only a few masks for sale below 10k PP, and even that amount is quite steep for something that goes poof quite often. On top, one have to buy a belt with haste...

Summoned aggro-mask definitely going to my personal wishlist for future expansions, and the haste should move to the summoned belt. (or even better, persistent gear... as always).
  19. kthehammy Elder

A summoned mask with Echo of Anger would be very very nice.
    Yimin, moogs and IblisTheMage like this.
  20. Yimin Augur

This would be nice , but they will say we gave you hate swords already ...

Yi min