tips for /beta

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Oct 27, 2018.

1. svann Augur

before you /beta copy:
    1. Pickup your anchors. If they are placed in guild hall they wont copy and you cant buy new ones on beta server since loyalty currency does not copy either.
    2. Same with trophies. Put them in your inventory before you /beta.
    3. Buy some rez tokens. Cant buy these on beta server either.
    4. Shared bank space doesnt transfer. Move anything you will need out of it.
  2. Dropfast Augur

I also clear out my bags of all UN-needed stuff. Stock up on all Potions, Rez tokens, Tribute bows, ect as they will not be as easy to get a hold of on Beta.
    Warpeace and snailish like this.
  3. Glandga Journeyman

If you create a high level char on beta and use /spell, you still have to buy your dichotomic spell in PoT because it only creates the base spell in your book, not the 250 one. Unless it's fixed.
  4. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Also put all your money on the toon beforehand as spells and tombs cost a small boat load.
  5. CrazyLarth Augur

Regardless of how you installed Beta, whether just copying your old EQ folder and renaming it, or downloading the patcher, if you want to copy your character UI without having to remake everything, here's how:

- Go into your LIVE Everquest folder and look for two specific files:

YourCharacterName_Povar.ini
    UI_YourCharacterName_Povar.ini

Example: Jeffro_Povar.ini, UI_Jeffro_Povar.ini

- Copy and paste into these files into your corresponding Everquest Beta folder

- Rename these files, replacing 'Povar' with 'beta"

Example: FROM Jeffro_Povar.ini TO Jeffro_beta.ini

Example: FROM UI_Jeffro_Povar.ini TO UI_Jeffro_beta.ini

- If there is already a character and UI file in your Beta folder (from previous Beta's), delete those before renaming your Povar files.

- Re-log if you're in game, or log in Beta, and viola, you "should" have your Live UI layout and hotkeys without having to redo everything!
    MarttinPH likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Addendum to CrazyLarth... if you use a custom UI, you would also need to copy that to the corresponding .../uifiles directory, correct?
  7. Lianeb Augur

If you use a key binds you will also want your eqclient.ini from your live folder
  8. Phancy Elder

Crating up my house did not work. Stupid crate bug was apparently not fixed on beta.
  9. E'ci - Knight Errant Lorekeeper

10. Eyashusa Lorekeeper

Make a copy of your EQ folder and then edit the LaunchPad.ini file in the EQ directory.

[Settings]
    appName=EverQuest
    id=eq
    environment=beta
    height=617
    width=915

Add the environment=beta line save and then patch.

You can rename your config files

yourname_bristle to yourname_beta
    UI_yourname_bristle to UI_yourname_beta

You might need to go back and change these file names if you original name is already taken and you get the extra character thrown on the end.
    Vumad, Svann2 and Zunnoab like this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

The beta dude old man thorran at the PoT stone sells anchors for free (not bad advice however)
    The same dude sells trophies for free.
    Rez tokens are on the same dude, unlimited, for free.

Shared bank is accurate. Put all your plat on your character.
  12. Dovhesi Elder

Svann's tips were actually 100% accurate when he originally posted this last year. It is nice though to see that the devs took his advice into consideration and incorporated these items automatically into this year's beta.
    Metanis, Sancus and Yinla like this.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

I have not been brave enough to try it this year.
    Last year guild membership was an issue.

If you re-/beta your toon, the old copy was gone. But if you were a member of a guild you needed to have someone kick the "Old you" from guild before the "New you" could be in guild.

Due to the headache I have not tried to see if it is still an issue, I've just driven the happy path.
  14. Jordis Augur

You can make new beta buff characters and put their plat and transferable items in your shared bank then delete them if you need more.