Time to BAN all the 'special trackers' out there

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trebor, Jul 6, 2020.

1. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

I audibly laughed at that one.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

i mean hell even my dad gamer guild of like 8 players, none of whom even raid or care about raiding, every single person is using it.
  3. dirgenoobforreal New Member

"Using 3rd part hacking tools is acceptable in 2020 because the game would shut down if they banned people for using them."

That is one of the most lame excuses I have heard ever and ive been playing dumb games since 98. Its lame, but its also true.

This game has zero credibility left.
  4. Theybreakgames New Member

They made it clear that its ok to use automated programs that play your chars for you on Rizlona, you think they're going to do much about 90% of the players using harrypotter? SOE was the only company that actually tried to stop the cheating
  5. Stune Augur

Ban the Krono first then maybe it might be a tad better experience. Then again ill be the only one left on the server lol
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I've been MonkTrack free on these servers but I gotta say I really miss some of the innocuous uses, notably being able to zone into somewhere like LGuk and quickly determine if there's a place I can take my group to xp. CC checks work OK but I've had enough occasions where I wrangle all 6 players in my group to the right pickzone on the live side and plow down to Crusader only to find a group there that just didn't happen to catch /ooc.

Anyway, I'd put money on them reverting Freeport sooner than they start going after people using it.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  7. PeterPansicle Journeyman

Hahahahahahahahhaa. Guess dreamweaver doesn't like the font stuff either.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Yeah the ability to check for open camps would be the #1 thing that would motivate me to start using it.
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's very clearly not by that post. The acceptable things it's referring to are things like Gameparse and Gina. Harry potter clearly fits in the "not obtainable in game advantages" portion.

You can almost always tell who uses the program by how many other people they think use it. I've spent plenty of time server first guilds, I'd wager that even 25% of people i more then actually use it. But almost everyone that did use it used to think 90% of players use it.
  10. Boze TLP complaint factory

In the Karanas at least it's basically 90%. I had no idea how prevalent it was until this round of playing a tracking class. Like shaman-bro who beat me to phido, there's no possible legit way you knew he was over there. When you've got real track it's crazy how easy it is to figure out people are using it in wide open zones like that.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Fluid Augur

Not everybody cheats. I mostly play trackers. I mostly level from ~20-35 in Rathe Mountains. Just about nightly when I am in the zone people /ooc 'Is Hasten up?' Ditto for SK when I am parked there, my trackers are constantly asked for help finding Brother Quinn, "is Phido up?" or other MOBs that tend to tell me they are not cheating. I've probably been hired 5-6 times by other characters to help spawn quest MOBs and track them.

Just generally speaking, people in the forums are more aware of what is happening in EQ and in the meta game then people that just play the game. That includes hack and announcements, what have you. I'm not critical of the uninformed. I enjoy playing with them as it is more immersive. In guild chat someone asked when the next experience bonus was coming like the day before it happened. I mentioned July 1st and got the impression there were fewer then ~3 people that knew it was coming in a guild with ~100 people online at the time. I doubt if that many people even read the info blurb on the loading screen or know what a Krono is.
  12. mornroc New Member

The real reason they don't ban it is because it wouldn't stop it... it would just push people into getting smarter about hiding it. With a basic knowledge of networking you can setup a separate passive network sniffing box that is not detectable in any way and still run your monitoring software. Get enough people doing this and someone will write a nice step by step guide for everyone else to follow...

And in any case as other's have said, they are not about to disrupt their income stream.

I think while it might frustrate people you need to get used to the current realities of the game. Do I wish these programs were not available, sure... but wishing won't make it so. I for one, am willing to keep playing the game, because despite the occasional bad apples I still love EQ. It's still home to me. Back after launch the same statements were still true, we just had different complaints... back then we complained about camp stealers, training because nothing leashed, overcrowding of newbie zones, and the stability of the servers. Does anyone remember launch? Crashing every 15 minutes and we still played anyway...
  13. code-zero Augur

I've been told that there have been twitch streamers who were banned for using that program during a stream. I will say that if you have a tracking class and especially a bard who is use to pulling seeing a tank insist on pulling and seeing him make bee lines to the freshly spawned mobs is really blatantly obvious
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I mained a Ranger for years on Phinny. It's totally possible to have that happen by someone playing legit. Especially when that person has /pet attack and SoW. Not saying the person in question was playing legit, just saying you don't really know that.

Anyways i basing my opinion off something much less speculative. Asking people Discord/TS if they're using when it would be useful.
  15. Boze TLP complaint factory

Main a beast on phinny, this example was wayyy too far for the pet attack command to work. Can go to SK and watch people all over the zone bee-line for a new pop before the server tick even lets it show up on normal track.
  16. Triconix Augur

...what? Been playing 20+ years and never touched any questionable program.

If you need a 3rd party tool such as ShowEQ or EmQ to play this game, you're just trash at this game and should be ashamed, especially in a game as easy as classic EQ. The game is an absolute cake walk and doesn't get any where close to being "advanced" for many many expansions. Go play with Lincoln logs or something if you need that kind of junk in order to be successful.
    Xanumbik, Pelrond, Belexes and 2 others like this.
  17. Tripps New Member

Omg this crop of tlpers are the biggest bunch of whinebags I’ve ever seen. For F****sake please just play the game and stop worry about what everyone else is doing.
    Skuz and CatsPaws like this.
  18. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

it's not about needing ShowEQ, it's about the massive convenience it gives you. You can run in circles around a huge open zone like karanas for an hour, or you can take 15 seconds to boot up the program and see if what you need is around and where it is. You can zone into lower guk and /ooc cc and hope everyone is paying attention, or you can pull up a program and see what's at every camp without error. Even pulling for leveling groups, you can attempt to mentally track spawns or run around randomly to find mobs, or you can have every nearby mob tracked for you, with very accurate spawn timers on every single spawn point. With the sheer amount of benefit it brings, there's almost no reason not to use it because they aren't banning people for it. I can understand streamers not wanting to use it because it's the closest thing to easy proof they have, though.
    Urshulgi likes this.
  19. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

You should change convenience to cheating. There a million analogies out there for it, but at the end of the day cheating is cheating regardless of the justification.
  20. Aegir Augur

The devs could also just code the Memory Offsets in game to reset every 12hour or so, instead of only doing it everytime there's been a patch.
    Lachnar likes this.