Time to BAN all the 'special trackers' out there

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trebor, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Fellynn2 New Member

You realize you are asking a company running a 20 year old game that is struggling to survive to ban half it's paying customers....and demanding an answer?

I have your answer...
  2. BlueLivesDontMatter New Member

No, inspecting a user's running processes is illegal in a great majority of the world.

They have no right to your memory, HDD, or locations other than the directories you've agreed to install the program into.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Really? I'd like to see some evidence of that.
  4. Kiaro Augur

You don't get Jboots for the runspeed, you get Jboots for an instant click buff (For dragons/Gods) that generates aggro(for warrior).
  5. Finchy Augur

the way this post reads, it's acceptable to use...
    [IMG]
  6. Machen New Member

Uh, the software in question doesn't work by reading log files or ouptut files.

But, things have changed a LOT since this post in 2018.
  7. Finchy Augur

i'm aware of how it works, it's just an example of how they struggle to properly communicate items of this nature. there is an argument to be had on what does and doesn't qualify as allowed with the way it's worded.
  8. Machen New Member

Yeah, I agree. They've always been deliberately obtuse on this stuff. Not always with good reason.
  9. Arrk Augur

I solemnly swear I am up to no good....

[IMG]

...mischief managed.
  10. Sikkun Augur

They created invisible “Show E Q users are lame” mobs in hate....pretty sure their opinion of the program was clear. They just never figured out how to encrypt the web traffic without the game running like crap. And that was before the game ran like crap in general.
  11. KimchiGoddess Augur

Is that for real? Hilarious if so, I had no idea.
  12. Beep Elder

You're telling me the dark elf shadowknight at permafrost zoneline every day is using third party software?! I just thought shadowknights could track ice dragons like in game of thrones!
  13. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

Maybe he just really likes the atmosphere. I'm sure there's nothing suspicous at all about this fellow.
  14. Zirklaz New Member

There's a lot of BS in this discussion. Peoples using this program are blatantly visible, and very easy to spot. They do not represent 50% or 90% of the players population, that's BS.
    I'm playing this game since release, and i've joined 5 or 6 different raiding guild over the course of years, on various servers.
    Back in the day, even on very competitive guilds/servers. I perfectly remember how we used real players for tracking raid targets spawn, back during velious, luclin and pop. Druids, rangers, bards were scouting for their guilds and this was actually a great thing for game's health, and competition over spawned targets.
    This kind of tracking / cheating appeared with the most recent TLP, it was developped for live, but it did impact/disrupt gameplay on TLP a lot. I think the major mistake developpers made is not to take action immediatly upon peoples using them, because the longer they remain silent / do not ban peoples cheating, the more peoples think about doing it themselves, and the more peoples actually do it.
    Now, i'm still raiding in a top end guild on a tlp server, and have had max level toons on 1 server at least, every generation of tlp servers.
    It's been 3 years i think things went downhill. 20th years tlps, aradune/rizlona are the least pleasant tlp i got to experience. Not because of the game itself who got polished and refined, quests fixed etc (developpers did a great job at this), but because of two major aspects affecting gameplay : peoples behaviour and rampant cheating.
    The last two TLP generations show the reign of RMT farming, selfishness and greedyness. This is not what makes this game appealing to most of us. Most the peoples i discuss with are pissed off with how toxic these last two TLP generations are.
    On a side note, the "top end" of those servers are represented by the same players/guilds who make blatant use of cheating programs, advocate for the worst behaviours possible, and just contribute making the experience worse for anyone who does not want to cater to this.
    Now to get back on the use of tracking program. On the server i raid on, about 15/20% of peoples occasionally use it. That's very far from 90%. Discussing with many peoples on various servers i think over the population on new servers, no more than 25% peoples use these programs. A good idea could be to temp ban all of them for a week or two, with the promise of a 1 month ban if caught again, and perm ban on the 3rd offense. This could be a think prior to Omens of war launch on every tlp, since it's when open world target farming sort of dies...
  15. Sikkun Augur

Yeah it’s real.

They have known about the use of it for 20 years. They did try to encrypt web traffic once which is the actual solution but made the game run crappy. So all we got is a permanent statement in hate that all the users are lame.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

Google the "showeq users are lame" mob that was posted above, there is reference to this in 2002 which is before Live even got PoP and long before any TLP much less the most recent ones.
    jeskola likes this.
  17. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

If you were only told by 25% of the playerbase that they used ShowEQ, then there's about 60% that lied to you.
  18. Zirklaz New Member

I don't think so. In some guilds the % may be higher, since they cater to a population that's more likely to make use of it ;)
    Eitherway, i'm afraid this discussion is not gonna change anything, which is pretty sad.
  19. Pappasalt Augur

Why is this argued every few weeks?

It's very simple, a ton of people use these programs...especially those at the "top." They are not going to do ANYTHING about it as it would hurt their bottom line at this point. Things would have had to be done literal decades ago.

It's not that they can't search the programs on your computer. It's not that they can't detect it. It's very simply they would lose too many customers.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you're in a top end guild and dont use it you have to lie just to save face.
    AtabishiWoW likes this.