Fixed Internally Threat Mechanics broken

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Protagonist, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Protagonist Tank

All runes are currently giving 0 aggro. Currently, rune is not even putting the caster into combat.
  2. Rogean Lorekeeper

My suggestion from the other thread:

3. Tweakfour17 Augur

Sounds too complicated, just make jboots have a 2s recast time. Insta cast so you can have a junk buff up for dispel mobs but can't spam click it as fast as your mouse finger will go to build infinite aggro.
  4. Rogean Lorekeeper

I initially read your post as increasing the cast time instead of recast time, so I've since edited my post.

That's still a ton of development time to evaluate every clicky item in the game to see if it should have a recast time added. Otherwise, jboots would just be replaced by any other clicky (Amulet of Necropotence, for example).

My suggestion was a faster/simpler code change. It's really not that complicated either, just a short list of criteria that would remove hate generation.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  5. Protagonist Tank

This bug is impacting click aggro, but it is not about click aggro. It is a severe and complete break of all indirect/non damage aggro interaction. This problem enables a host of exploit loopholes that extends a long way past bad TLP guilds having an easier time with Vox. The debate about click aggro is completely aside from this needing to be fixed. Your suggestions would do absolutely nothing to negate the actual issue with this bug.
  6. Rogean Lorekeeper

Which is why my suggestion included reverting the recent changes causing the issues in this thread, and then applying a change specifically to address the click aggro generation abuse.
  7. Protagonist Tank

"Revert the recent change" is advice I'm sure no one had yet considered for fixing a bug caused by the recent change. Let me be the first to register my gratitude.

The rest is spam irrelevant to the bug best relegated to the discussion thread it was already in.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Assuming you can filter or create a list based on criteria like that, wouldn't be surprised if that wasnt even possible.
  9. Rogean Lorekeeper

Except the entire reason this issue exists is because they were attempting to curb abuse by clicky aggro generation. Therefor, the two discussions are closely linked. They set out to fix an exploit, and I'm giving recommendations on how to accomplish that without the side effects that caused this thread in the first place.
  10. Protagonist Tank

The thread you already linked has a dev post in it stating there was no purposeful change to any aggro mechanics, clicks, or abilities. This is a bug. This is not a side effect related to TLP nonsense. It is an unexpected and unintended break with a major game mechanic.

This is not about some minor TLP mechanic that is irrelevant 7 seconds after a new server launches. Please stop trying to add this nonsense into a real issue. There are limited resources and trying to shoe-horn this into a real bug is disingenuous spam, at best.
  11. Rogean Lorekeeper

Theoretically they should have access to that information in code, but how the code is laid out with spells landing on targets mixed with hate calculations mixed with spell source, might take a bit more work than I first suggested. Even in our code it may take a little work, I'd have to check.

Revisiting your idea though, would be possible with a blanket change. All of the data is in a SQL Database, which can be queried for items with spells that don't have charges, is insta cast, etc. It's hard to tell though what such a sweeping change might affect.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  12. Rogean Lorekeeper

And yet, here we are, with a change to aggro mechanics, clicks, and abilities. Shocking.

The Dev also said they were looking into making these changes as well. It's therefor entirely possible a code change by a programmer was committed early or incompletely.

Regardless of the end result, the motive for these changes was click aggro abuse.
  13. Protagonist Tank

You're either being purposefully obtuse or don't care that you're ignoring the reality.,

This was not a change. It was a mistake. There was no motivation, because it was not intended. It is a bug. Unintentional. A problem that needs to be addressed. That the bug in question happens to overlap some terrible TLP guild tactics is irrelevant, because it's a bug and it's absolutely breaking a huge amount of content.

Not a decision. Bug. Mistake. Flaw.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Why is it so improbable to you that someone was poking around in whatever area threat generation from spells lives and accidentally changed something? Clearly spell aggro from clickies is on their radar and its entirely possible someone was doing some preliminary checking / info gathering and accidentally did something?
  15. Protagonist Tank

So purposefully obtuse, then.

Please stop crossposting spam.
  16. Rogean Lorekeeper

You're actually directly responsible for doubling the amount of posts in this thread because you're trying so hard to argue that bugs resulting from an attempt to change clicky aggro is completely unrelated to... clicky aggro, and any posts discussing it is spam.

*facepalm*
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yes, everyone but you is purposely obtuse. :oops:
  18. Rogean Lorekeeper

So there has to be something more to this than things like rune spells just not giving aggro. Had two enchanters pull aggro off me well into a fight. One casted Rune 12 times, the other 6 times. Neither had pets.
  19. Protagonist Tank

Re-read the op. They do give aggro, but only when there is a direct interaction to update the threat list. I can't spell it out more plainly without directly explaining how this can be massively exploited, but move your bards and you'll get it.
  20. Protagonist Tank

This remains broken, and several guilds have begun exploiting the loopholes it creates in their weekly raids.

I deeply hope this is not something that's going to be a "creative use of mechanics" bug that never goes away.